I hope his leg isnt broke

jonr

yesterday i noticed this lil bump on his lil leg. His is walking and climbing normal it seems, and his is still eating but not as much i hope he eats today. Maybe im paranoid but it just looks weird to me since the other side doesnt have it

Attachments

• IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMAG0564.jpg
    IMAG0564.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 210
not gonna bank on it being broken, but it does look like a severe case of MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease), those the Chameleon looks very younge. has it been this way, or does this look very new?

i will send you a link in this thread on how to ask for help. please fill it out, and in the mean time, find the best reptile vet in your area and schedual an x-ray.

yesterday i noticed this lil bump on his lil leg. His is walking and climbing normal it seems, and his is still eating but not as much i hope he eats today. Maybe im paranoid but it just looks weird to me since the other side doesnt have it

just saw him eat so thats good i know he still has a appetite

not gonna bank on it being broken, but it does look like a severe case of MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease), those the Chameleon looks very younge.

Advanced MBD can and often does cause pathologic fractures because the bones are so weak so both possibilities may be correct. Of course it may be a break from falling as well.

Fill out that form about your husbandry and we may be able to give you more help or point you in the right direction, but ChameleonsInMyHouse is right, you need to find a vet in your area experienced with reptiles.

Advanced MBD can and often does cause pathologic fractures because the bones are so weak so both possibilities may be correct. Of course it may be a break from falling as well.

Fill out that form about your husbandry and we may be able to give you more help or point you in the right direction, but ChameleonsInMyHouse is right, you need to find a vet in your area experienced with reptiles.

true, which is why it doesnt make sence to me, but i still wouldnt think it would be a broken bone. that bend looks quite severe to be climbing and using it still. but no debate is needed, just get this little one to a vet so he can tell you whats up. eating is the least of our worries right now so please fil out the form.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - male, maybe 4months old and had him for about a week or so
Handling - im yet to get him out his cage since he is a lil shy guy but made attempts to get him out
Feeding - he eats crickets and superworms. 8-12 small crickets a day, I put he crickets in there in a tub tied to his favorite spot, and the crickets come form petsmart and eat potato
Supplements - Reptocal calcium and vitamin d3, i dust the food right before i throw them i there
Watering - lil dripper, and mist 3 x daily
Fecal Description - small black with white bits, looks normal to me
History - he came from flchams and is a veiled newtons breed

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen, wood, and is 4ftH3ftW,2ftD
Lighting - 100W reptile basking light i got at petsmart, and a UVB reptile light
Temperature - its about 85 at the top and a lil hotter under the lamp, in the low80s around the lamp to high 70s at bottom, overnight gets to around 68 and i have a Digital temp hanging in there, and also a laser temp
Humidity - i live in south texas humidity is going to happen so im guessing the 70-80% with misting
Plants - rubber plant, hibiscus, and fake plants
Placement -near a window in the dining room, mild traffic area
Location - corpus christi tx
Current Problem -right arm as a bump on it and slightly concerned

Feeding - he eats crickets and superworms. 8-12 small crickets a day, I put he crickets in there in a tub tied to his favorite spot, and the crickets come form petsmart and eat potato
do you gutload? potato isnt nutruitional. please message SandraChameleon for good gutloading tips and recipes. shes written tons of feeding, gutloading and supplimenting blogs

Supplements - Reptocal calcium and vitamin d3, i dust the food right before i throw them i there
whats reptocal? are you refering to Rep-Cal? how often do you dust with the D3? at 4 months of age the chameleon should be getting dusted 5-6 times a week. Calcium D3 and Multivitamin (i recommend Rep-Cal Herptivite) use this once or twice a month.

small with white bits does not seem normal to me. i hope you are refering to a solid white bit which is called a "urate" the pee of a reptile or bird.
Lighting - 100W reptile basking light i got at petsmart, and a UVB reptile light

Temperature - its about 85 at the top and a lil hotter under the lamp, in the low80s around the lamp to high 70s at bottom, overnight gets to around 68 and i have a Digital temp hanging in there, and also a laser temp
your lighting and temps are way too high. a male veiled should be reaching 90 degrees at bask as an adult! 4 months should be around 82 degrees in the bask. and slowly increase his bask temp as he gets older

rubber plant is a no no. it looks beautiful but you need to be carful of sap within the plant. a chameleon can be harmed by ingesting plant and/or getting the sap in crucial areas of it's body (eyes, nose, mouth)

please take him to the vets and get an x-ray, please answer the gutloading and supplimenting questions, and also, i didnt notice a uvb source. chameleons need a 5.0 ReptiSUN to metabolise and grow healthy bones. from reading no uvb light and using D3 as a suppliment without knowing how much. im even more convinced he has MBD

do you gutload? potato isnt nutruitional. please message SandraChameleon for good gutloading tips and recipes. shes written tons of feeding, gutloading and supplimenting blogs

whats reptocal? are you refering to Rep-Cal? how often do you dust with the D3? at 4 months of age the chameleon should be getting dusted 5-6 times a week. Calcium D3 and Multivitamin (i recommend Rep-Cal Herptivite) use this once or twice a month.

small with white bits does not seem normal to me. i hope you are refering to a solid white bit which is called a "urate" the pee of a reptile or bird.

your lighting and temps are way too high. a male veiled should be reaching 90 degrees at bask as an adult! 4 months should be around 82 degrees in the bask. and slowly increase his bask temp as he gets older

rubber plant is a no no. it looks beautiful but you need to be carful of sap within the plant. a chameleon can be harmed by ingesting plant and/or getting the sap in crucial areas of it's body (eyes, nose, mouth)

please take him to the vets and get an x-ray, please answer the gutloading and supplimenting questions, and also, i didnt notice a uvb source. chameleons need a 5.0 ReptiSUN to metabolise and grow healthy bones. from reading no uvb light and using D3 as a suppliment without knowing how much. im even more convinced he has MBD

Im using the Tetrafauna ReptoCal that has D3 calcium and i dust around 5-6x a week and i dust the crickets. I do have a UVB light and a basking light, the UVB light is a 11w and sits at the top of the cage next to the basking light. Ill go today and get a 75w bulb to lower those temps. Ill also check on those gut loading ( is that what the crickets eat right)... Is the supplements i have not sufficient enough? i usually just pinch it and throw it in with the crickets and shake them tell there completely dusted

im on my way to get a 75w bulb ill keep u posted.... thx for the help i only want the best for this guy

Im using the Tetrafauna ReptoCal that has D3 calcium and i dust around 5-6x a week and i dust the crickets. I do have a UVB light and a basking light, the UVB light is a 11w and sits at the top of the cage next to the basking light. Ill go today and get a 75w bulb to lower those temps. Ill also check on those gut loading ( is that what the crickets eat right)... Is the supplements i have not sufficient enough? i usually just pinch it and throw it in with the crickets and shake them tell there completely dusted

i've never heard of tetrafauna's reptocal, sounds like a aquatic market company though. maybe others can chime in. but i would look into getting RepCal brands. many of the sites sponsors sell it, and im sure you can find it at PetCo and PetSmart. your chameleon has a big cage area. i strongly advice getting a 24'' 5.0 ReptiSUN UVB light. it is a flourenscent linear tube light. ZooMed makes the light and they need to be changed ever 10-12 months. a 75W should do it. i would get a 60W as well just incase and return either one if you dont need it.

gutloading is EXTREAMLY important in the role of keeping reptiles and amphibians. what your feeders eat is what your animal eats. there are tons of great ingredients you can use, but there are also many with oxalic acids (depletes calcium absorbtion) please look at her blogs, her blogs on gutloading is what helps keep all of our chameleons on this forum healthy

Can chams suffer from gout. This reminds me of a thread on my leo forum where a leo presented similarly, was thought to be mbd but was gout. Here's a pic, but you absolutely need to see a vet regardless. You can't treat either on your own.

scan0012.jpg

I hope this isn't against rules but can I post the thread link. It is very informitave just incase chams can suffer gout (I'm pretty sure most herps can).
http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=53486&

If this isn't permitted mods please delete the thread link.

Yes stop dusting with anything with d3 right away that's WAY to much d3 should only be givin once a month, you can dust more frequently with a calcium WITHOUT d3, also those coil uvb lights are not good, I would get a strip 5.0 uvb light the long skinny tube ones asap, and also get some xrays doesn't look good ; (

Yes, gout is another possibility for this kind of swelling on a limb. Jonr you're on the right track! There are always a few things to modify when you start with a cham, I don't think anyone comes on here with everything 100% correct. And this site has tons of excellent resources for you to use to get your little guy on track. A vet visit is required at this point to identify the cause of his problem and fix it before it gets worse, but we can help with other husbandry issues like gutloading. Feel free to ask questions if you can't find what you're looking for. :)

Can chams suffer from gout. This reminds me of a thread on my leo forum where a leo presented similarly, was thought to be mbd but was gout. Here's a pic, but you absolutely need to see a vet regardless. You can't treat either on your own.

scan0012.jpg

I hope this isn't against rules but can I post the thread link. It is very informitave just incase chams can suffer gout (I'm pretty sure most herps can).
http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=53486&

If this isn't permitted mods please delete the thread link.

may i ask what brought you into that situation of gout? were you heavily supplimenting with vitamins and/or d3, or heavily feeding for some lengthly time? edema and gout can be caused by this from my understanding. this case seems to be different seeing as he dusts heavily with d3 but does not provide other vitamins and minerals. just my 2cents

Yes stop dusting with anything with d3 right away that's WAY to much d3 should only be givin once a month, you can dust more frequently with a calcium WITHOUT d3, also those coil uvb lights are not good, I would get a strip 5.0 uvb light the long skinny tube ones asap, and also get some xrays doesn't look good ; (

guys thanks for all the help, as a first time owner im trying really hard to make sure my cham has a great life. Now as the D3 ill stop right away and ill ghost with calcium instead thanks for the heads up. Ill also look into getting a strip uvb light. As for the vet its going to have to wait im trying everything first before i go there and i also tried calling my vender. Its only been a week since i had him and ive done everything i can so far.... as u can see i take a lot pride in my cham with his environment to meals ect.... i just want him to be ok

guys thanks for all the help, as a first time owner im trying really hard to make sure my cham has a great life. Now as the D3 ill stop right away and ill ghost with calcium instead thanks for the heads up. Ill also look into getting a strip uvb light. As for the vet its going to have to wait im trying everything first before i go there and i also tried calling my vender. Its only been a week since i had him and ive done everything i can so far.... as u can see i take a lot pride in my cham with his environment to meals ect.... i just want him to be ok

yes, please contact the vendor and make sure this wasnt a mistaken defect. did you get it a pet store? most pet stores give you about a week. you found a great place to try and get help. unfortuately though, just completely stoping what you've been doing wrong may not just cure it. i still strongly advise you to go to a vet and get an x-ray done. no matter what inputs we give you, some answers will only be given through tests.

yes, please contact the vendor and make sure this wasnt a mistaken defect. did you get it a pet store? most pet stores give you about a week. you found a great place to try and get help. unfortuately though, just completely stoping what you've been doing wrong may not just cure it. i still strongly advise you to go to a vet and get an x-ray done. no matter what inputs we give you, some answers will only be given through tests.
i got the cham through FLCHAMS so im sure he will work with me.. if his legs progressively gets worse then the vet he will go. until then i hope this works. I already contacted the vender and im sure he will call me back when he has a chance. Do you know why i was told to stop giving him D3 as much? Im going to stop and switch to Calcium and only give D3 about 1-2x a month but im still not sure on the reasoning and if that could be the cause of his lil bump.

D3 is a vitamin they can only produce with the sun. But since most of our chams are housed indoors they need to be supplemented. Too much d3 however can make then sick. Basically!

Too much D3 can cause excessive utilization of calcium from the bones which leads to mineralization of tissues that could not be mineralized and weakening of the bones.

Back
Top Bottom