i hit the motherload of mantis adults

jrh3

Established Member
i found a place in the wild close to home were i spotted over 50 of these i collected 2 for pictures and to get some more info on as feeders, also how to tell if male or female.......oh yeah they fly and bite.... lol.

i think they are chinese

mantis019.jpg

If they are Chinese, which they look, only the females will fly, I think.
The females will be bigger, and have more segments on their thorax.

Nope.. not even in New Jersey. Mantis is not listed in endangered species list.
It has never been illegal to kill a mantis in any state.

and I believe what you have caught there is indeed Tenodera Aridifolia Sinensis (chinese praying mantis).
Look at their abdomen. If there are 6 to 7 segments, it is a female. Male has 8 segments.
ChMa100.jpg

Last edited:
both of these that i have can fly, how can i tell if they are pregnant because if they are i could let them lay before i feed.

illegal in CT

It is illegal to kill mantises in CT since they are the state insect (or at least it was when I was a kid growing up there). Only the specific one that is the state insect though, not all mantids.

Also, Chinese mantid females have longer thoraxes, but fewer discrete segments. As adults they are about an inch longer than the males.

You will have to be sure they are females first. And they dont lay eggs. They lay/make an ooth sac and the babies will emerrge from that. If you have a readily available supply of adults I wouldnt mess with breeding and trying to feed 300 baby mantis. Just go collect the ones you need to feed your chams. They are kind of like grasshoppers a pita to get a colony started and going. Its easier to go catch a some gutload em overnight and feed em off the next few days.

I would haold back some females and a couple of males. Once you get a steady supply of ooth's you could sell them. Keep some of the ooth's for yourself and hatch them. If you can keep enough fruit flies going to feed the baby mantis that is just another great food source. Mantis are not hard to raise.

Carl

It is illegal to kill mantises in CT since they are the state insect (or at least it was when I was a kid growing up there). Only the specific one that is the state insect though, not all mantids.

I guess no matter what, people will believe what they want to believe :rolleyes:
Mantis is not an endangered species, people. It has never been protected by the state in the past or present.

Mantis is indeed a beneficial insect since it hunts many of insect pests.
Thus, people feel the need to invent a myth about how it is a crime to kill a mantis.

PS: I am not advocating people to kill every mantis they see in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom