I have the worlds pickiest Veiled.

Orchidartist

It has been over six months and he has had nothing but superworms. I try giving him crickets, butterworms, and silks all the time since I have them on hand for my panther but he wont touch them. Once a month I'll splurge and buy some hornworms, but nada. I try dangling them in front of him or putting them on a branch, but he'll actually just walk right ON them to climb out on my shoulder. I have tried smearing all kinds of babyfood on his pothos leaves, Kale, Dandelion....still nuttin.

The last straw was this morning-I bought a Hibiscus for the sole purpose of trying to get him to eat a flower...friggin thing finally blooms(no sun here in SO long!)and my Veiled is afraid of it. fired up until I took it out. Tried again and again...stupid Cham is afraid of the flower *SIGH*

Soooo, now I am mad and I am finally ready to try a starvation period to get him into variety again. How long should I give him with no food until he will chow down on some crix for me? I need some advice

Give him 5 days, put in a different feeder, if he doesn't take it, continue the process every other day. In the wild I am sure they don't get the food availability that we put in front of them!:D

Nick

...Soooo, now I am mad and I am finally ready to try a starvation period to get him into variety again. How long should I give him with no food until he will chow down on some crix for me? I need some advice

Have you tried cup/bowl feeding? Putting his superworms in a cup, getting to associate the cup with food, then changing up what food is in the cup?

Assuming he is an adult and healthy, I think its okay to go for a week and even up to two weeks without supers, only offering crickets and other feeders. Make sure there is plenty of water.

If he still wont eat anything other than supers at the end of the second week, he wins. Gutload those supers :)

Hes been cup fed since he was a little bugger. I gut load the supers very nutritiously since thats all he's eating. Thanks, Im getting some crix in him if it kills me lol

OMG my veiled wont eat anything els but crickets... i tried giving him meal worms he ate 1 two weeks ago and never looked at them again... i tired giving him wax worms and he just walks right over them... i did try giving him the food in a bowl (and it was left in there for 2 days) but he'll just look at them and walk away!!! im soo frustrated because i bough so many meal worms and wax worms when i got him but he wont eat them. i dont want to starve method that you guys were talking about cuz he's only 2 months old but i dont want him to be picky either (and i want him to eat the things i bought) grrrrr... what should i do???

Back
Top Bottom