I Guess I Got Lucky with My Veiled

PascalsWager

I think I lucked out with my Pascal. He puts on a grumpy act sometimes, but it's all bluff. Once he's out of his enclosure, he's a sweetheart. I handle him a couple times a week and let him crawl around on me until he's ready to settle down for a cuddle. Tonight he decided the top of my monitor was THE place camp out. Hopefully he continues to be as good natured has he has been so far.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
My Veiled is very sweet as well. He loves to come out of his cage (literally begs!) and hang out on his free-range. He doesn't like to be locked up, I suppose, which is understandable. He has only hissed a couple of times and has never once bitten anyone.

Your little guy is such a cutie! And what an adorable picture. Is it nighttime in the photo?

Honestly, I think that the "aggressive Veiled" assumption is an unfair stereotype. Obviously there are docile ones too.

Hehe ^-^ My Pascal loves to chill on my computer which also sits in front of our window. Pascal loves getting out of his enclosure and just kinda "paws" at the door to be let out lol He's such a chill cham. Never bitten anyone, only hissed at me when he first came here at he was getting used to everything new. Otherwise, he wants out to chill all the time:p *Apologies for super crappy second photo as I zoomed in and it killed the quality*

Attachments

• IMG_20150709_163953.jpg
    IMG_20150709_163953.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20150709_164256.jpg
    IMG_20150709_164256.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 155
Blink ~ It was starting to get dark, and it was almost his bedtime. He'd been cuddling in my hand and I wanted to set him somewhere to get a photo of him. I put him on my Mac and he just got cozy and started dozing. I had to shine a book light on him to keep him awake because me computer is in a dark corner cabinet.

Crazy ~ Your Pascal is very handsome. He looks pretty comfortable out of his cage. I think maybe some people are scared off by the bluff?

Crazy ~ Your Pascal is very handsome. He looks pretty comfortable out of his cage. I think maybe some people are scared off by the bluff?

Thank you:) He certainly doesn't hide it when he wants out lol Sometimes it's too cold to take him out and he will scratch at the door keeping my cats awake and I'm just like "Yes Pascal, I know. Stop causing a ruckus." xD Usually when Pascals being a grump I will just leave him and try later. The worse is if there's a cricket on him and he gets all pissy with my fingers near him. Just trying to help ya little guy:rolleyes:

Thank you:) He certainly doesn't hide it when he wants out lol Sometimes it's too cold to take him out and he will scratch at the door keeping my cats awake and I'm just like "Yes Pascal, I know. Stop causing a ruckus." xD Usually when Pascals being a grump I will just leave him and try later. The worse is if there's a cricket on him and he gets all pissy with my fingers near him. Just trying to help ya little guy:rolleyes:

omg.. when a cricket gets on my cham it is the funniest thing ever. i don't help, i just laugh until he manages to catch it. i'm horrible lol. its hard to believe some chams beg to be let out but they really do. mine doesnt paw at his cage door but he nudges it with his head to see if it will push open. smart little shits

omg.. when a cricket gets on my cham it is the funniest thing ever. i don't help, i just laugh until he manages to catch it. i'm horrible lol. its hard to believe some chams beg to be let out but they really do. mine doesnt paw at his cage door but he nudges it with his head to see if it will push open. smart little shits

I would leave it for him to eat but hes a lazy bum xD he's just let them sit on his face sometimes. Pascal can be a butt about it with keeping my cats up or if im napping xD Sometimes it's a struggle to feed him cause he's trying to use my hand to get out xD and when he does, he just books it out. Haha hopefully Pascals door on his new enclosure will be secure xP

Thank you:) He certainly doesn't hide it when he wants out lol Sometimes it's too cold to take him out and he will scratch at the door keeping my cats awake and I'm just like "Yes Pascal, I know. Stop causing a ruckus."

Emoji scratches at the door too. But when he is really desperate to come out, he will cling to the screen of the door and wait for me to open it, then he will climb out.

My first enclosure came with a really stiff latch. The first few days were tough getting the thing to catch. I'd barely get the door to latch shut tightly enough. My Pascal pushed it open with both of his 'hands' and then stood there looking confused, like he didn't expect it to actually open. I KNOW he wasn't wanting out at that point.:rolleyes:

My first enclosure came with a really stiff latch. The first few days were tough getting the thing to catch. I'd barely get the door to latch shut tightly enough. My Pascal pushed it open with both of his 'hands' and then stood there looking confused, like he didn't expect it to actually open. I KNOW he wasn't wanting out at that point.:rolleyes:

I just have an Exoterra glass on for him currently while a better bigger one is getting built for him:DSo the current latch isn't bad (although sometimes when I take him out I forget to close it and my cats find some crickets for me:rolleyes: )So hopefully his new one isn't a tough latch cause he will open it way too often xD he likes to get to the closest branch sometimes and kinda use his upper body to try and push it open xD "I got it opn...now what...I'll just..turn around and go back in.." xD Silly chams lol

Veileds are totally awesome chameleons but they really don't like being caged. Mine all free range except to get some outside time in a large outdoor enclosure a few hours in the mornings and most do ok for a bit and then they are ready to get out of jail. :D I can't get the door open fast enough to get some of them out.

Veileds show so much personality when interacted with on a regular basis. I love my veileds dearly and think they are an excellent species to keep.

Veileds are totally awesome chameleons but they really don't like being caged. Mine all free range except to get some outside time in a large outdoor enclosure a few hours in the mornings and most do ok for a bit and then they are ready to get out of jail. :D I can't get the door open fast enough to get some of them out.

Veileds show so much personality when interacted with on a regular basis. I love my veileds dearly and think they are an excellent species to keep.

Very much agreed!:) I haven't had Pascal as long as my cats but I wouldn't trade him for anything and he's a great little guy. Just unfortunately with living in Canada, sometimes our weather gets a tad chilly :p But this whole week is gonna be 30+, So Pascals gonna be a happy guy ^-^

When I first got my veiled, I picked her out by her temperament. She was the only baby chameleon that didn't puff up, go dark, run away or anything when the keeper put his hand in the cage. I knew right away she was going to be pretty relaxed and she still is :)

I've wanted a chameleon since I was a kid, but I had no idea I'd like the little bugger so much. His enclosure and general happiness has become a hobby and form of relaxation. Or stress. Depending on my mood. :p

I had one when I was really really young but unfortunately it didnt go to well :( got what was supposed to be a him became a her from a really crappy sketchy pet store (their closed down now but their ways came to light recently) I've had cats my whole life and with wanting to go to college to work in an animal based field, Ishould get the experience of having a reptile and always remembered chams just being extremely cool:D I also needed something that wasen't a cat cause they drive me bonkers sometimes. Love them, but they drive me crazy xD

I can hardly wait till my little Frank gets more comfortable in his new home! Now I know every critter is different but when did you all notice that your cham started warming up to you and become more friendly? Just curious.

Mine's been pretty much the same since he was 2mos old. His 'display' has become more dramatic, but he settles right down like he did as an infant. No major changes there.

I can hardly wait till my little Frank gets more comfortable in his new home! Now I know every critter is different but when did you all notice that your cham started warming up to you and become more friendly? Just curious.

Emoji didn't really become "friendly" until about 8 or 9 months old. Before that, he was very shy. He still is to some extent. He is quite leery of strangers and is only comfortable around a couple of people, including myself. The important thing is to make sure that your chameleon relates you to good things, like food and free-range time.

My son got our veiled Neil at about 4 months and he was not the hissing angry pet we had anticipated. He must have been handled when he was younger, because even now at a year old, he's still very friendly.

We thought for sure he would turn out to cranky as he's had two enemas, intestinal surgery, stitches and stitches removal, and two months of being held and force-fed meds and butterworms. But every day he comes to the plant by his door and waits to come out. We take "head top tours" around the house, he climbs on the computer, couch, wicker napkin holder, just about anything he can reach. He nipped a couple of times while being held and given meds, but who wouldn't?

One of his favorite pastimes is scaling the chains that hold up our front porch swing. He'd get A's in gym class on the rope! Always great color, non-aggressive.

I have found, though, that he does not like to be in his enclosure outside. We've had him in a semi-shady spot on the deck a couple of times thinking he would enjoy the view and weather, but all he does is turn dark and hiss. He's OK being hand-held outside, but definitely not a fan of the enclosure out there.

Back
Top Bottom