I got darn near kicked out of a pet store

Pachondi

I have my chameleon set up (temporary) up and running for a couple of days, so I went down to my local pet shop, just to see if they have any panther chameleon (I know, I know what are the chances right, but they just converted from a major aquarium providers to reptiles). When I asked if they could look up the price for a panther, I got jumped on. They went on and on about how insanely difficult the are to keep, that they will die within two days in the hands of a retard....I mean an amature like myself ect.,

They really put some fear and doubt on me now. So is what they say really true? I have invested a lot of time and money on just the temp setup and I am almost done with the permenent enclosure. Please give me some encouragement.

BTW they did say they can order veiled, jackson or pygmy chameleon (though the lady called it a puppy chameleon, shows how much she knows about chameleons :).

In all Honesty, I don't think they are that difficult to care for. When I first got my cham, I looked into for about a week and just jumped in. I purchased him, and everything went really well.
If your disciplined, and know you can tend to there needs; you won't have any problems.

Pet shop chams die in 2 days cause the pet shop does not know how to care for them lol. Do your research take a month to educate your self on the panther chameleon. Then when all is ready get one, this forum has all the info you will need to educate yah self.

veileds and panthers have closely related care. so caring for one, isnt harder than caring for the other.
chams are not necesarily hard, just sensitive and detail oriented.

I only have a vield right now, and dont know much about the other requirements for other types of chammies, but what I can say is;
IF YOU HAVE DONE YOUR RESEARCH, AND HAVE INVESTED YOUR TIME (AND MONEY) INTO SOMETHING YOU LOVE, YOU CANT GO WRONG.
As long as youve been doing your "homework" and have been following advice given to you by Panther keepers, screw them >.<
Any animal is hard to keep if you dont know what your doing... but as long as your trying to do best for your future guy/girl, your a great cam-owner in my book!

I did about 5 months research before I got my first cham back in 2008. Even then I had doubts that I would be able to care for her, but my Mum encouraged me as we had both fallen in love with Lily at the shop already! Yes, I got a female first, and yes, it was fine! Once you get into a daily routine everything that seemed so daunting isn't really! I would say go for it - I have never once regretted going ahead! I have since had another female Veiled, a male Veiled and now have my gorgeous Jackson and a 5 month old baby Carpet! Chameleons are AWESOME!!!! :D:D:D

I only have a vield right now, and dont know much about the other requirements for other types of chammies, but what I can say is;
IF YOU HAVE DONE YOUR RESEARCH, AND HAVE INVESTED YOUR TIME (AND MONEY) INTO SOMETHING YOU LOVE, YOU CANT GO WRONG.
As long as youve been doing your "homework" and have been following advice given to you by Panther keepers, screw them >.<
Any animal is hard to keep if you dont know what your doing... but as long as your trying to do best for your future guy/girl, your a great cam-owner in my book!

I did about 5 months research before I got my first cham back in 2008. Even then I had doubts that I would be able to care for her, but my Mum encouraged me as we had both fallen in love with Lily at the shop already! Yes, I got a female first, and yes, it was fine! Once you get into a daily routine everything that seemed so daunting isn't really! I would say go for it - I have never once regretted going ahead! I have since had another female Veiled, a male Veiled and now have my gorgeous Jackson and a 5 month old baby Carpet! Chameleons are AWESOME!!!! :D:D:D

Listen to these ladies!! All you need is to read up, make sure you have a setup that will work, read the daily care of some of the keepers here, be ready for lots of advice and guidance from all of us when you get your cham and go for it.

my panther is my first reptile that i've owned. i've had him since late august and this forum really helps. as long as you do your research you'll be fine. i've been getting some praise about how good my guy looks from friends and forum members alike.

they're not difficult once you learn what to do (and what not to do)

I have my chameleon set up (temporary) up and running for a couple of days, so I went down to my local pet shop, just to see if they have any panther chameleon (I know, I know what are the chances right, but they just converted from a major aquarium providers to reptiles). When I asked if they could look up the price for a panther, I got jumped on. They went on and on about how insanely difficult the are to keep, that they will die within two days in the hands of a retard....I mean an amature like myself ect.,

They really put some fear and doubt on me now. So is what they say really true? I have invested a lot of time and money on just the temp setup and I am almost done with the permenent enclosure. Please give me some encouragement.

BTW they did say they can order veiled, jackson or pygmy chameleon (though the lady called it a puppy chameleon, shows how much she knows about chameleons :).

jackson are way harder to keep than panthers

I go with all that has been said. I need to add though, don't go to that pet shop to buy one.:)

Don't listen to them clearly they dont have a clue in the world what there doing. And there just saying that because they dont know.....just ask a ton of questions and lisen to advise giving to you and you will have one happy cham....like everyone else said do your research and you'll do fine.....this forum has tought me everything i know about chams.....not being new to the reptie world also helps.....:eek: .....oh and more advise to you don'tgive them your business go else where...

I've had a panther for about three weeks now, and although everyone has said all the good things about it, I'll throw in my two cents.

There's a lot to worry about with these chameleons, but once you figure out a day-to-day routine, it all becomes very easy. The sooner you figure that out, the sooner your stress will (hopefully) disappear. That's what happened with me at least

Don't give up hope, you got it!

My advice

Don't buy from that Pet Store buy from a forum member. Also keep doing research and ask questions here. This forum is the best and very supportive.

I feel a lot better now, thank you so much guys. You know when I said I invested a lot of time on this, I don't mean couple of months, it is more like years (8 to be precise). I started reading up on chameleon when I was in an aprtment, I didn't have a lot of space, so I didn't get one, but I try to read all the articles out there and all the care sheets. Now that I have a house and settled in for a few years, I think I am ready (at least I thought I was till this morning :)

I was looking at a site called chameleon kingdom, the prices seem pretty good. Does any one have any exprience with them?

Thank you again for your support and encouragement.

I feel a lot better now, thank you so much guys. You know when I said I invested a lot of time on this, I don't mean couple of months, it is more like years (8 to be precise). I started reading up on chameleon when I was in an aprtment, I didn't have a lot of space, so I didn't get one, but I try to read all the articles out there and all the care sheets. Now that I have a house and settled in for a few years, I think I am ready (at least I thought I was till this morning :)

I was looking at a site called chameleon kingdom, the prices seem pretty good. Does any one have any exprience with them?

Thank you again for your support and encouragement.

i have a lot of respect for somebody that knows when to not purchase an animal.

anyway, i have not had any experience with them, but if it were up to me, i would go with an animal you can physically see in person before you purchase just so you can ensure the health by actually looking at it (and not just taking somebody's word). where are you located? i'm sure there's a forum member on here close by that has something available, or at least has experience/knowledge about where to look for your new animal

It's all about perspective. For some, time consuming=difficult. They are not difficult, but they are time-consuming.

If you purchase directly from the breeder you know what you are getting, and you know all the background of the animal you are purchasing, and the breeder will WANT to help you with any questions or concerns you have in the future. You won't get that from a pet store in most cases.

Make it your mission to prove them wrong;)

You know I had that same experience. I just got my Cham this week, and before we got him, everyone was saying oh its very hard, and you dont know what you are doing, pretty much the same thing that you were told. It was annoying and discouraging, but honestly I dont regret getting him at all :) This forum has helped alot, Ive found a lot of great information. I just make sure I read up on caring for him every day, and just jumped right in.

Just to jump into the fray here - don't listen to those morons at the pet store!!! I was on this forum and reading up on chams for about 6 months before I took the plunge, and my first one was a panther. How long did he live? 4 years, and you have to figure that even though I had done the book learning, I still needed the practical knowledge. The key is getting everyone on a schedule, and automating when possible (timers, misters, etc.).

The other thing is that I'd NEVER support a pet store that had that kind of attitude towards chameleons. Check out our sponsors - I've used one of them and bought my other 3 through the classifieds here on the forum. Don't be so concerned about seeing the cham in person if you go with one of them - they will provide you with pictures of the dam and sire, hatchdates, and most will answer questions that may crop up. Good luck and don't be daunted by chameleon care - we all started at some point here, and since you've done your due diligence, you should be just fine! :D

I can't thank you guys enough for the support.

There is an old saying, think hard before you decide to do something, and after the decision, don't think too much about it (or something like that :) I have decided to go with a panther (8 years ago). I have all the basics down, the enclosure is running smooth. I am taking the plunge. That just mean I am going to be bugging you guys with all kinds of questions :)

I will check out the classified here and other breeder sites.

BTW I live in Levittown PA (its about 40 min north of Phily).

Back
Top Bottom