I found a mushroom in my bioactive enclosure, should I be worried?

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
I was looking around my enclosure today and I found a tiny little mushroom in the substrate. There was only one, but I wanted to know if I should be worried. I make sure to clean everything that I put in there well and I don’t know how it could have happened
DE45904B-8D11-4A6E-ABC3-4CB745EEE25F.jpeg

another thing, I haven’t noticed my CuC making an impact on any poop. It just sits their, I’m going to start taking it out myself,l. Does this mean that they died? I made my first mistake by buying only about 25dwarf white isopods, but my enclosure has been set up for a little over a month, shouldn’t they have reproduced more?

25 dwarf whites is practically nothing, I'm afraid! They also tend to burrow into the soil more than larger species, and require quite a large population before they're able to keep on top of poop. A month isn't very long, even with a fast breeding species. I'd probably get some more, and possibly a larger species as well.

The mushrooms are harmless, and frequently show up in bioactive enclosures. Free food for the CuC!

another thing, I haven’t noticed my CuC making an impact on any poop. It just sits their, I’m going to start taking it out myself,l. Does this mean that they died? I made my first mistake by buying only about 25dwarf white isopods, but my enclosure has been set up for a little over a month, shouldn’t they have reproduced more?

Try Giant Canyons! @jamest0o0 has them as well as Josh's Frogs. James charges less than JF and he can get them to you!

I highly recommend giant canyons - totally forgot to mention them! Great CuC, though they take a little longer to mature and start breeding.
Try Giant Canyons! @jamest0o0 has them as well as Josh's Frogs. James charges less than JF and he can get them to you!
Ok thanks for the recommendation! A store near my house sells isopods pretty cheap, so I’ll look for some giant canyons there!
25 dwarf whites is practically nothing, I'm afraid! They also tend to burrow into the soil more than larger species, and require quite a large population before they're able to keep on top of poop. A month isn't very long, even with a fast breeding species. I'd probably get some more, and possibly a larger species as well.

The mushrooms are harmless, and frequently show up in bioactive enclosures. Free food for the CuC!
Yeah, I didn’t do too much research on the isopods :( . I bought them and put them in my enclosure. Later that night I was thinking about it and did some more research. I wish I had added them into a smaller area to allow them to reproduce there first

Been doing bio for so long. Mushrooms are a good sign. It's part of the cycle.
I see @GoodKarma19 already answered these questions! I agree with everything she's said.

The canyons are best cham cuc. Not trying to sell you on them because you seem set on your store, but I'm being honest when I say, when it comes to the canyons I hook my cham forum members up! I had so many, everyone has been getting extra and lots of breeding adults. I'm confident that's one aspect of my business that no one else can compete with ATM lol. That is, until I run out... :oops:

Last edited:
I think mushrooms are fine as long as there isn't a hookah smoking caterpillar sitting on them. JK James is the expert here.

Back
Top Bottom