I finally got one!! ...HELP!

Ok. I'm having a bit of a hard time following exactly what you mean but it sounds like you have made good arrangements for drainage. A quick sketch or diagram might be helpful. At any rate, as long as you are able to collect and remove standing water you are good. All you need now is good lighting/UVB.

So the bottom is it's own construction, not part of anything. It's pvc, on top is a layer of:

- Egg crate

- window screen

- clay balls

- window screen

- organic soil mixed with coconut fiber, charcoal and 'forest bedding' once im happy with placement (which I think I am), I'll be doing another layer of nothing but coconut fiber to hide the dirt mix.

The idea was to have any additional moisture soak into the false floor so there's less moisture on the actual ground.

Today is the first day I've had it completely set up so we'll see how it goes!

Attachments

• 20200101_135517.jpg
    20200101_135517.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200101_135505.jpg
    20200101_135505.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200101_135457.jpg
    20200101_135457.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 95
Also, the acrylic is resting under the cage, ive yet to put the walls on it because I haven't found a place that sells acrylic glue/cement.

I might just use clear silicone but still thinking

So the bottom is it's own construction, not part of anything. It's pvc, on top is a layer of:

- Egg crate

- window screen

- clay balls

- window screen

- organic soil mixed with coconut fiber, charcoal and 'forest bedding' once im happy with placement (which I think I am), I'll be doing another layer of nothing but coconut fiber to hide the dirt mix.

The idea was to have any additional moisture soak into the false floor so there's less moisture on the actual ground.

Today is the first day I've had it completely set up so we'll see how it goes!

The photos cleared up any confusion I had. A picture is truly worth a thousand words. What you created is not dissimilar from a bioactive enclosure base. In a "true" bioactive base your substrate layer would probably be a little thicker and you'd have some sort of media at the bottom, i.e. hydroton or small rocks, so plant roots could wick up water from the drainage layer. And of course, most importantly, isopods, springtails and other custodial invertebrates.

It sounds like you plan to insert the bottom of the enclosure into a glass aquarium - how do you plan to remove excess water buildup in the aquarium?

It sounds like you plan to insert the bottom of the enclosure into a glass aquarium - how do you plan to remove excess water buildup in the aquarium?

It'll be more like a tray; the walls won't be taller than 2-3", simply to catch any excess mist that escapes the mesh, instead of landing on the table and causing water damage, it'll land on the acrylic which will be easy to wipe off compared to wiping it off a wooden surface. Overtime, I worry it'll damage the wood.

If you look closely, you'l see the acrylic bottom (26x26 square) is already resting under the enclosure, I just need to add the 2"-3" walls to make sure water doesn't run off and into the floor. The stand is also temporary until I find something more sturdy and wider

It'll be more like a tray; the walls won't be taller than 2-3", simply to catch any excess mist that escapes the mesh, instead of landing on the table and causing water damage, it'll land on the acrylic which will be easy to wipe off compared to wiping it off a wooden surface. Overtime, I worry it'll damage the wood.

If you look closely, you'l see the acrylic bottom (26x26 square) is already resting under the enclosure, I just need to add the 2"-3" walls to make sure water doesn't run off and into the floor. The stand is also temporary until I find something more sturdy and wider

I get the full picture now. Looks like you have water drainage totally covered. The only remaining concern I have is poop removal. You have a substrate-covered bottom but not sure if you can go bioactive with this setup. Looks like springtails could easily escape (not that they'd want to) through the screen mesh. Conversely, mites could also enter and crash a springtail colony. Do you plan to remove poop by hand?

I get the full picture now. Looks like you have water drainage totally covered. The only remaining concern I have is poop removal. You have a substrate-covered bottom but not sure if you can go bioactive with this setup. Looks like springtails could easily escape (not that they'd want to) through the screen mesh. Conversely, mites could also enter and crash a springtail colony. Do you plan to remove poop by hand?

Yes, just scoop it out with a napkin when necessary. He's already done his deed within half a day of being in there so i'm guessing it's a good sign!

Back
Top Bottom