I finally got a black soldier fly!

PoseidonTheChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Omg I finally got a worm to pupate into a fly! Now my only issue is I cant put it in my enclosure because it will easily get out of the screen😐

Attachments

• 20210120_083116.jpg
    20210120_083116.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 63
I bought 100 bsfl for my picky little Panther. He just looked at them like "what am I stopped to do with those, you stupid human?".

I finally just dumped the containers in one larger, clear, container and stuck it on the "shelf of rejection" where all the other bugs go to die. Not long after, I heard a buzzing noise, and what do you know?!?! The little maggots had begun to pupate and some had become the lovely little flies that at one time scared the snot out of me 😱

To add to my amazement, my little Snogzilla went cuckoo-bananas over them!

Thank goodness 100 maggots didn't pupate at the same time, and there's no smell from the substrate they're in either 🤔 .

They're now sitting on the "shelf of future fulfillment" waiting to be Snogzilla food 🤣

BAHAHAHA see that larger gauge screen has some drawbacks lol
It surely does 😢

The first time I ever saw an actual black soldier fly in its true fly form was with my first cham that I rescued who had mbd. I had made him a custom enclosure out of a large bird cage. I put pvc coated chicken wire on the inside so he could still climb, but I wrapped the outside in a type of screen just on the sides. Not to keep bugs in because he was stitchly cup fed, but because he would stick his tail through the sides while climbing around and my cat was always waiting for a nice piece of chameleon tail... Literally!

So the top was just bird cage wire. I didn't know the little maggot had even gotten in there until it was a buzzing fly (or a tiny wasp which is what I thought at the time 😳)

I had a thousand come in a couple of weeks ago. Opened the box, my son was over, went ahead and put a couple slices of sweet potato in the container with them. Did not close all it all the way. You know what I was doing the next morning for over a half an hour.
Here we are two weeks later, and guess what I've been catching on the walls for the past day and a half?? That's right, BSF.
Luckily, for whatever the reason, they are quite lethargic, and an easy catch. And the lizards go nuts over them. And more importantly, my wife was unaware of the first event, and still has not noticed this second event

Back
Top Bottom