I Feel Bad For This Hornworm....

Lauren6

So here's a fun story!! ?
I bought hornworms for my chameleon's birthday! He loved them!! However, one turned into a pupa before I could feed it off. I tried giving it to my chameleon, but he will NOT eat it... (even though he's such a foodie haha). I understand why he won't eat it though. It basically coated the bottom of my chameleon's feeding container in black liquid and it stinks ? !

Now I am just wondering what to do with any extra feeders I may have for my chameleon. I've heard freezing them is the most humane way of killing extra feeder bugs, but I also read that hornworms don't die from that. I am really not looking forward to a giant moth (even though I would love it from a distance), so if any of you have ideas of what to do with extra bugs that would be tremendously helpful! ❤

I know this is such a strange question, but it is a problem to me ?!!
Thank you from Lauren & Ditto!!!

Last edited:
Let it pupate in your chameleon enclosure, it’s gon turn into a moth, that your Cham will enjoy and it will be enriching for him having to hunt it down.

I leave BSFL in my Chan’s enclosure, they turn in to samurais flies and my chameleon makes futile attempts at catching them

Are Hawk (Sphinx) moths native to your area?
Releasing them might be an option. But only if they are indigenous.

So here's a fun story!! ?
I bought hornworms for my chameleon's birthday! He loved them!! However, one turned into a pupa before I could feed it off. I tried giving it to my chameleon, but he will NOT eat it... (even though he's such a foodie haha). I understand why he won't eat it though. It basically coated the bottom of my chameleon's feeding container in black liquid and it stinks ? !

Now I am just wondering what to do with any extra feeders I may have for my chameleon. I've heard freezing them is the most humane way of killing extra feeder bugs, but I also read that hornworms don't die from that. I am really not looking forward to a giant moth (even though I would love it from a distance), so if any of you have ideas of what to do with extra bugs that would be tremendously helpful! ❤

I know this is such a strange question, but it is a problem to me ?!!
Thank you from Lauren & Ditto!!!

If you let it turn into a moth like other members have suggested, I would make sure your cham is big enough to eat it. If he's an adult it should be fine, but, again, depends on his size.

If the pupae oozed black goo then your caterpillar might have died inside. I've had that happen when the body starts to rot. Would explain the smell. Also depends how long it's been pupated and such. I would use your thumb and index finger and apply pressure to either side of the pupae and see if the caterpillar wiggles inside. You'll notice the bottom portion of it (the end without the looped part) will wiggle. If it's been long enough you can see the wings through the pupae which is an indication the moth is close to emerging. Usually it's a lighter color like a grayish color.

Otherwise, you might consider what the other member said about setting it free. You can look into someone that might want it for something such as a reptile store.

my chameleon makes futile attempts at catching them

Man, my chams go koo koo for cocoa puffs on soldier fly adults. They can't get enough of them and I have never seen them fail to snag them when available. BSF's are so slow and relaxed that you can catch them by hand very easily. That, the fact that they don't have to be calcium dusted, and the fact that the adults don't eat (meaning they don't eat anything nasty), makes them one of my favorite feeders.

Brother, you must have one seriously lazy cham. "Put the food in my mouth, I can't be bothered to do it myself!". LOL

I am 'mothing' a hornworm for the first time so I can watch my boy hunt him down.

IMG_20200325_220156.jpg

Back
Top Bottom