I don’t know how to help my chameleon he’s very poorly

Rango_

Hi my chameleon rango is over a year older now he was so happy and had lots of energy up untill about just over a month ago I noticed some cute on his foot but it’s just gotten worse his foot has closed up and it’s now just stuck together with gunk and hard blood he doesn’t have any energy and he’s not eating and hasn’t eaten in a while he seems dehydrated I’ve put calcium in his water in replace for the food he’s not eating his eyes have sunk and his colours aren’t as bright any more at all he closes his eyes a lot of the time and just lies on his belly he hasn’t pood in a long time I don’t know what to do any help would be appreciated thankuou he has also lost a lot of weight

Attachments

• 223A76D0-AB20-463D-B8CE-FFD13FF19021.jpeg
    223A76D0-AB20-463D-B8CE-FFD13FF19021.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 128
You can put him in a box with a stick fastened in it for the chameleon to stand on (if he can still trio well enough) or a towel in the bottom for it to stand on. In the dark it will sleep...less stressful.
Thanks for your help very appreciated

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
I hope it's a good chameleon vet you're going to!
They should clean out the infected area and do a culture and sensitivity test to determine the bacteria involved and put it on antibiotics.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
I hope it's a good chameleon vet you're going to!
They should clean out the infected area and do a culture and sensitivity test to determine the bacteria involved and put it on antibiotics.
Thankyou I’ll let you know !

Hmm. Mesh don't usually do that. I guess its possible though. Check around your door edges and along corners of cage. See if there is little gaps just to be sure.

OMG poor baby! Vet asap! after vet, you have to be very calm, quiet, and slow to Rehab. When chams are hurt they quit eating and may not have the strength to draw in big breaths to get moisture from the air, keep humidity up. Rehab is crucial until they are strong enough to eat and draw big breaths on their own. Hand feed favorites. Hornworms are high in calcium and water to hydrate and you can feed them easily from your hand. Dehydration is a killer to chams. One trick is to get a cotton ball soaking in a small bowl with bottled water and get a hand towel and dark cloth(dark tee shirt, nothing heavy). Have everything ready before you begin and get comfy to where you can set him on the towel on your chest and cover him with the dark cloth. When he is calm, reach over and pick up the cotton ball and wring it out a little then uncover his head. Squeeze some of the water, one to two drops at a time, onto his nose so it flows a bit over and on the sides of his mouth. Be patient this may take a while until he realizes it is water you are dripping on him, heance the towel, its for you. Once he knows what it is hopefully he may tilt his head upward and open his mouth enough so you can drip some water in and let him swallow it down and he will open up again for you. This technique saved my chameleons life and I have continued doing it about three days a week so it will not be so foreign to him if it is needed again. Also the quickest way to calm my chameleon down is to cover him with a dark cloth/sheet/blanket. To my cham, dark means sleep time and covering him makes him secure. Now I know every cham is different so you may have to find what works for yours. Also, when they molt, the feet are harder to get the shed off so they tend to rub them hard against everything in the cage. So check very thoroughly to see if there is something sharp or a branch that may have splintered. I see no reason why you cannot nurse him back to health. Remember, quite, patience, and calm will go a long way right now. If you need any further assist, feel free to message me.

Back
Top Bottom