I am new to the Chameleon World

Male veileds can get up to 24" from tail to snout with about a 2" casque. I have seen them get bigger but this is a rare thing. With the males in these three species they are very laterally compressed, meaning when you she a side shot of one of these they look bigger then they actually (it is part of their defenses). The females are way more rounded like a typical iguana. The male jacksons get up to 14" I think that is without the horns. These numbers sound kinda of intamidating but I don't think they are as bad as they sound. I am not sure on panthers. If you do opt for one of these consider the space as an exhibit. If you go it to the galleries on here or any place where people care a great deal about their reptiles it is like being at the zoo. I don't really think my cages are as pretty as some of the cages I have seen here but when people come over they start looking at it. They usually step back real quick when they realize a yellow, blue, green, red, purple, white, and black lizard is staring at them. Every body who has seen mine can't stop whatching them while they are over and actually ask me about them sometimes. Most people have not seen the true beauty of a real chameleon.

Last edited:
so basically, if i mess up the slightest bit with a jackson's it will die? The jackson sounds like the type of size i want. i am willing to read all about them and to achieve high humidity levels in order to maintain 1.

pfal26 said:
so basically, if i mess up the slightest bit with a jackson's it will die? The jackson sounds like the type of size i want. i am willing to read all about them and to achieve high humidity levels in order to maintain 1.

I am not sure why you are focused on size. The size of the chameleon isn't going to necessarily dictate the size of your cage, so a smaller chameleon doesn't mean less space used. It depends upon the species. If you are completely convinced you need to have a Jackson's, here is a great site with very specific information on them. http://www.geocities.com/chamjacksonii/

Heika

i am not convinced, it is just my heart is attached to them, i just love their horns, i realize it wont make less space, but i would just prefer a smaller cham, i dunno y i just do, watever cham i get i plan to take good care of, and devote a lot of time to it....

thanks heika i will check out that site

While most people will tell you that a panther is more laid back than a veiled, all have their own personalities. I've had both and just prefer the looks of the veiled. It's just a personal preference. They are both among the largest of the cham's though. Both are stunning animals. All the veiled's I have owned rarely actually bit me, but they put up a hell of a show to try and make you think they will. Usually once you get them out of their cage, their fine. They settle down and stop all the puffing, lungeing, spitting, etc. Good luck and read as much as u can, take nothing for granted and be sure you know what your getting into. David

Take a look in the gallary for the veiled and panthers. I think the numbers about the size are confusing you about their actual size. You'll find plenty of pics with the cham on people's hands so you can tell their actual size. Their not near as big as they sound. I like the smaller species also but I don't want to take a chance on a species I'm not comfortable with, even a jackson's. My ignorance of them could easily cause their death. I would get a carpet or rudis before a jackson's. Also, the smaller chams have a much shorter life span. I'm not sure on the jackson's, but the carpet and rudis is only about two or three years from everything i've read. The veiled and panthers can hit eight years old. good luck. David

Back
Top Bottom