I am in need of silkworm food but on a budget...

Kenny C

So I purchased 500 Silkworm eggs that have all hatched! and are growing nicely. Now I need to purchase more food I found a post the other day with a link to a site with silkworm food cheaper than any other site, but I can't seem to find it again... Does anyone know said site?

Hm. Well, where I live, dandelion is a weed. It grows in my vegetable garden, in cracks in the sidewalk, in my flower beds, and in the lawn. (I don't use chemicals). It looks like this:
dandelion-drawing.jpg

If you don't have this free weed in your garden (or if you don't have a garden), consider what inexpensive greens you might have access to. Romaine lettuce perhaps? thin shaved carrot sometimes works, but not as well liked as dandelion leaves.

Search for silkworm chow on ebay. It's the same company Oregon silkworms and even cheaper than the website. Also some large grocery store will sell dandelion greens in the same section as other greens like collards and kale.

From what I understand, once fed mulberry leaves it is very difficult to get the worms to accept the chow.

I've picked a few dandelion leaves from the back yard...however the young silkworms don't seem to want it yet...I'll try again when they are bigger.

I've picked a few dandelion leaves from the back yard...however the young silkworms don't seem to want it yet...I'll try again when they are bigger.

use young thin dandelion leaves for the babies. Spring leaves / new growth is better than the old tough winter leaves.
try smearing small amount of chow on the leaves to help transition. once they accept the dandelion, they'll go back and forth without the smear

Back
Top Bottom