I am buying a chameleon and was wondering if I could keep it in my 37 gallon fish tank if I put a mesh top on it. Is this safe?

Alistair

I am buying a chameleon and was wondering if I could keep it in my 37 gallon fish tank if I put a mesh top on it. Is this safe?

You want height and ventillation when it comes to chameleons. Fishtank won't do in most circumstances. Probably better of getting an screen or glass arboreal enclosure.

Nope. Sorry, but there just isn’t adequate ventilation in a fish tank. The glass enclosures that some keep chams in have ventilation holes in the lower part which creates airflow via chimney effect. Also, fish tanks are way too short, Chameleons are arboreal and like to be up high. You also need to provide temp and humidity gradient so they can choose what they want at any time.

@Alistair ....
I would not recommend a fish tank for your first chameleon for sure. It has to be set up exactly proper to work.
Depending on where you live, whether you have air conditioning, dry air, etc I would recommend either a screen cage or a glass one with some ventilation in the front and a screen lid.

Back
Top Bottom