I came home from school and his eye looked like this please help i am worried

Attachments

• 9E22580A-948A-4474-B9E1-1CBA1753B755.jpeg
    9E22580A-948A-4474-B9E1-1CBA1753B755.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 157
  • 30190666-3531-41C8-AC39-99C2E176141B.png
    30190666-3531-41C8-AC39-99C2E176141B.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 157
I'm am not 100% sure at all but he looks burned.. and or maybe dehydrated I can't tell very well from the photo is his eye full or caved in a bit? Can you post photo of how your lighting is right now what is the basking temp? that would help do you having a misting system how is he getting water?

I'm am not 100% sure at all but he looks burned.. and or maybe dehydrated I can't tell very well from the photo is his eye full or caved in a bit? Can you post photo of how your lighting is right now what is the basking temp? that would help do you having a misting system how is he getting water?
There was a piece of shed that was stuck and pulling the skin i misted him and it fixed it right away but his basking temp is at a 92 and i mist him with a spray bottle and he has a dripper

Please fill this form out and post more pics of cham and enclosure

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon male ,6 months old
  • Handling - Not very often but sometimes he climbs onto my hand
  • Feeding - 8-10 medium crickets a day,yes i am gutloading them
  • Supplements - Rep cal pure calcium every day and calcium with d3 2 times a month and rep cal multivitamins with beta carotene
  • Watering - Mist and dripper i mist till plants are dripping sometimes he will lick the leaves
  • Fecal Description - Brown and white no he hasn’t been tested for parasites
  • History - Had some eye problems last month and couldn’t really eat

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage 18x18x36
  • Lighting - exo Terra 100watt daytime light with a zoo met 5.0 uvb
  • Temperature - 80-94 degrees measuring with a thermometer that has a probe inside the tank
  • Humidity - %40-%60 I’m using a humidifier and I’m measuring with a humidity gauge
  • Plants - No live plants
  • Placement - about 5 feet on a rack not a high traffic area
  • Location - Michigan

How long has his eye been this way? At first I thought he might be just cleaning his eye, but that would not be the case if it had lasted more than half an hour. How does his other eye look? Sunken at all?

How long has his eye been this way? At first I thought he might be just cleaning his eye, but that would not be the case if it had lasted more than half an hour. How does his other eye look? Sunken at all?
No his eyes don’t look sunken at all when they are open they are very round what was on his eye looked like a piece of shed and when i misted him it was gone

Should i lower his wattage on the daytime his tank sometimes hits 95 and he will sit under it

At his age, basking temps should be around 85*F range. That eye looks like it could be filled with a fluid. Either from an infection or a piece of shed skin that got stuck in the eye turret. I would recommend a vet visit if you can.

If the vet isnt an option, try the shower method with warm water. Place the cham on a plant and put him in the shower. warm up the water and aim the stream of water from the shower head at the wall so the water sprays off the wall and onto the plant the chameleon is on. I'd say about 20 minutes a couple times per week could help.

This method will allow the chameleon time to be stimulated into drinking more water and, more importantly at this point, clean his eyes. If you've never seen a chameleon clean their eyes its a freaky sight at first. You'll see them suck their eye in and can watch them roll their eye just before it pops back out.

Chameleons cant turn beta-carotene into vitamin A (i recently learned this at the vet) So i recommend getting a supplement with vitamin a rather than the beta carotene.

Chameleons cant turn beta-carotene into vitamin A (i recently learned this at the vet) So i recommend getting a supplement with vitamin a rather than the beta carotene.

There is some debate over this... Vitamin A is easily over dosed when used as a supplement which is why most reputable brands of multivitamins have beta-carotene. Making sure you are gutloading feeders properly should alleviate the need to supplement Vit-A.

Usually vitamin-A deficiency causes the chameleon to miss its target when hunting prey with their tongue and bad eye sight in general. I have not heard of a vitamin deficiency causing swollen eyes....

There is some debate over this... Vitamin A is easily over dosed when used as a supplement which is why most reputable brands of multivitamins have beta-carotene. Making sure you are gutloading feeders properly should alleviate the need to supplement Vit-A.

Usually vitamin-A deficiency causes the chameleon to miss its target when hunting prey with their tongue and bad eye sight in general. I have not heard of a vitamin deficiency causing swollen eyes....
I didnt really share that because if the eyes, just for a reccomendation

I didnt really share that because if the eyes, just for a reccomendation

Just adding to the thread from my experiences. You'll find a lot of keepers with years of experience that rarely, if ever, supplement Vit- A. This is mostly because it is hard to get the dosage correct without causing the cham to experience side effects of Vit- A overdose. Its extremely easy to overdose it since it builds up in there system which is why it should only be given in emergencies.

Personally, I have never supplemented Vitamin- A. I use a multivitamin with beta-carotene twice per month and gutload my feeders with a lot of leafy greens.

Just adding to the thread from my experiences. You'll find a lot of keepers with years of experience that rarely, if ever, supplement Vit- A. This is mostly because it is hard to get the dosage correct without causing the cham to experience side effects of Vit- A overdose. Its extremely easy to overdose it since it builds up in there system which is why it should only be given in emergencies.

Personally, I have never supplemented Vitamin- A. I use a multivitamin with beta-carotene twice per month and gutload my feeders with a lot of leafy greens.
what greens do u recommend

Back
Top Bottom