I’m sorry but RI again

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
So I know I’ve made a few threads about RI in the past but now I am very concerned.

Stormy was being hand fed by me with crickets but then he gaped- it was really more like a yawn though. But I heard a sort of squeaky wheeze sound when he gape/yawned. He is currently in higher then ideal humidity. 50-60percent.? but he has good airflow (reptibreeze) and also has cooler temps overall.

Also. After he made the wheezing noise then he pointed his head up slightly for a couple seconds. Which could be nothing, he does this when he eats, (to swallow I’m guessing) but this time it was a little longer then normal.

do you think he actually has RI or am I just imagining things here.

We can't tell you if it's an RI for certain... it sounds like you're paranoid about it, but I can't say for sure. RIs are not a normal thing to occur contrary to what this forum has turned it into

If you're very worried I'd check with a vet ;)
Yes I am paranoid... I really need to quit being so paranoid and keep myself from posting about this because of one squeak... ?

This is a little confusing. That article says you shouldn’t be misting during the day while heat lamp is on. It is saying to do misting at night. That contradicts everything I’ve read. If you let an enclosure sit damp all night....you are guaranteed to get mold and bacteria

Have you taken your chameleon to the vet before? Now might be a good time for a first checkup, fecal, etc to set a baseline with the vet, and rule out (or catch early) an RI. That will probably put your mind at ease.

Have you taken your chameleon to the vet before? Now might be a good time for a first checkup, fecal, etc to set a baseline with the vet, and rule out (or catch early) an RI. That will probably put your mind at ease.
I haven’t yet. We probably should though. His poops are kinda smelly when fresh, it would be good to see about parasites as well as RI.
Also, I know vets can be different prices, but I’m in Washington state, what do you think would be the average price for a fecal, and RI check and stuff as well as just general look-over?

I haven’t yet. We probably should though. His poops are kinda smelly when fresh, it would be good to see about parasites as well as RI.
Also, I know vets can be different prices, but I’m in Washington state, what do you think would be the average price for a fecal, and RI check and stuff as well as just general look-over?
I try to take all of my critters for a general wellness check as soon as they come into my care. Is just habit from a lifetime of having dogs and cats...now it’s lizards.
From what others say, I believe there’s a huge difference in vet prices. What costs one member at ABC vet can cost another member triple at XYZ vet. You’ll have to call around and see what the fees are. Do make sure to specifically ask if the vet has experience with chameleons. One vet I went to help my cham up, looked at both sides of her and declared, she looks healthy...also said several things that showed she knew little about chams. Same clinic, different vet...listened to heart, lungs, reviewed my husbandry, asked many questions, looked carefully at her, including in her mouth, etc...a full exam.

I try to take all of my critters for a general wellness check as soon as they come into my care. Is just habit from a lifetime of having dogs and cats...now it’s lizards.
From what others say, I believe there’s a huge difference in vet prices. What costs one member at ABC vet can cost another member triple at XYZ vet. You’ll have to call around and see what the fees are. Do make sure to specifically ask if the vet has experience with chameleons. One vet I went to help my cham up, looked at both sides of her and declared, she looks healthy...also said several things that showed she knew little about chams. Same clinic, different vet...listened to heart, lungs, reviewed my husbandry, asked many questions, looked carefully at her, including in her mouth, etc...a full exam.
Ok. I will see if we can find a vet. And see if I can convince my parents.?
I will definitely try to find one with experience in chameleons. If we for some reason can’t, though, I would at the very least like to do a fecal. (They don’t have to be experienced in chameleons specifically to do something as simple as a fecal is my understanding)

Thanks!?

Not fer nuthin' but your avatar (still?) says you're in Frisco.

IDK if this will help or not: veterinarian costs in WA
Many vets now publish their prices on their websites; if not, you can call or email them and ask.
Last fecal exam I got for a lizard (other side of country) was $30ish.

Yes I am paranoid... I really need to quit being so paranoid and keep myself from posting about this because of one squeak... ?

Lol no you're fine posting, I didn't mean it like that. Just that you're probably over worrying(though if you have doubts, for sure get it checked out). Trust me, most all of us have been there as panicked cham parents. No judgement here

This is a little confusing. That article says you shouldn’t be misting during the day while heat lamp is on. It is saying to do misting at night. That contradicts everything I’ve read. If you let an enclosure sit damp all night....you are guaranteed to get mold and bacteria

This is the new way of doing things. For yearssss it was as you say, mist during the day, dry at night. In the article, they changed it because that is how they are naturally found. That said, many chams don't naturally live that long in the wild(not to say that's because of the foggy nights) so replicating everything isn't always better. My thoughts are that RI's seem no more or less common whether you mist during the day with a basking light on or not with fogging at night. Personally, the only time I've heard of a cham getting an RI outside of just terrible husbandry was when people were fogging at night. Probably just a coincidence I'll admit though. I think it was only 2 people I've known to have that happen and it was probably with WC chams.

Have you ever beed outside at night?
Chameleons live in envkronments which sre normally found all around the globe
The daytime is warm and dry
The nighttime is cold and moist and foggy
Even most rains fall in the night...

Our article is not contradictory i. Any sense, we are just retifying a common and parotted dangerous malpractice to heavily mist at daytime at higj temperatures, bexause
NOTHING like that happens in the wild and itnis a
Procen dactir increasing the risk of RI.

Not to get mold yoj meed to provide enough air exchange and movement

Idk how much proof/study there is behind this and I won’t go as far as saying you’re wrong. But dark+moist=mold/bacteria. Out in the wild is one thing but for pet owners with an indoor enclosure I think that’s a risky move

Idk how much proof/study there is behind this and I won’t go as far as saying you’re wrong. But dark+moist=mold/bacteria. Out in the wild is one thing but for pet owners with an indoor enclosure I think that’s a risky move

Proof?
Millions of yesrs evolution
Zhousands of people aroumd tje globe that umderszamd the natural cCles and offer them tomthe chameleons

Dark+Moist+No Airflow=Mold/Bacteria.
Dark+Moist at night=happy chameleon

Back
Top Bottom