I’m not sure what’s wrong if anything

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
Eustis has been very dark lately. I thought maybe he’s thirsty so I have been giving him a drippe during the afternoon but he walks all around but never goes in for a drink! Only once did I see him drink ever in his life since I’ve had him. I know he’s a secret drinker. I run his Fogger every night once his temp gets into the 60’s and that’s supposed to hydrate him. I’m just confused as to why he’s dark a lot. He’s had his stress colors on a lot more lately as well. I’m worried.
@JacksJill @Kaizen @Mendez

thanks everyone for responding. No his eyes aren’t sunken, his temperatures in his enclosure are fine. His humidity is fine. His colors are sometimes uniformly dark and at other times he has his stress colors on. I’m just not sure. His basking temp goes up to 82 then I turn it off. He has it on from 7am til noon then it gets too hot for a Jackson’s. His uvb light is brand new, I changed it in June because it was a year old. It’s the Arcadia 6%. His plant light is on from 7 am to 7 pm unless his temps go too high. I don’t run my air conditioner during the day, just at night. His urates look nice and white with just a yellow tip and he’s pooping. Did I miss mentioning anything? Lol!

I forgot to add that Eustis has been in shed mode for a couple weeks. He shed his lower half of his torso, or belly last week then this week he’s seems to be shedding his limbs. His head shed about 3 weeks ago. Maybe he’s just stressed because of that? It’s never bothered him before!

His uvb light is brand new, I changed it in June because it was a year old. It’s the Arcadia 6%
That’s a bit the problem, read a few times and had it myself, that a brand new light is giving light, but no radiation, giving you the impression it works. Therefore does uvb card test are good, they can quickly test if the light is functioning and they only cost a few bucks.

But probably this isn’t the problem, and it’s more his shedding.

It may be the shed irritating. If you r worried zbout hydration add some hornworms to his diet. Also he may want to mate. I was worried about my male veiled as his urates were orange so every morning i would hhold him nexf to me and dripp water near his mouth. it took a while but he finnaly learned to put his tongue out and get a drip. Only in the morn though!

It may be the shed irritating. If you r worried zbout hydration add some hornworms to his diet. Also he may want to mate. I was worried about my male veiled as his urates were orange so every morning i would hhold him nexf to me and dripp water near his mouth. it took a while but he finnaly learned to put his tongue out and get a drip. Only in the morn though!
eustis does not like being handled! He scratches the crap out of me when I try to. I don’t think he’s dehydrated. I only added the water dripped in case he wants a little more.
That’s a bit the problem, read a few times and had it myself, that a brand new light is giving light, but no radiation, giving you the impression it works. Therefore does uvb card test are good, they can quickly test if the light is functioning and they only cost a few bucks.

But probably this isn’t the problem, and it’s more his shedding.
I’m going to see if I can find some of those uvb cards and check the light. Thanks for the advice Sonny.

Many keepers got that feeling, don’t worry. At least now you can check if it’s working.
Just terrible, you think you’re doing everything right and then due an unnoticeable technical defect, your Cham would be in trouble. These test cards can be used endlessly and therefore you at least always know you got radiation.

Its a shame that there isn't a place where you could rent a UVB meter, somewhere like a pet store or a reptile club.
I know right! I wish but I dont know a lot of reptile people and my town is small. The biggest city near me is Portland Maine but it’s a45 minute Dr. I don’t think there are any reptile clubs here.

Its a shame that there isn't a place where you could rent a UVB meter, somewhere like a pet store or a reptile club.
My store birdStuff keeps a meter here for testing. I have owners bring in their fixture or just the bulb if Arcadia to test for them. I have heard of independent reptile stores doing this as well. You could always ask your local if they at least have one for store use and could test your bulb.

My store birdStuff keeps a meter here for testing. I have owners bring in their fixture or just the bulb if Arcadia to test for them. I have heard of independent reptile stores doing this as well. You could always ask your local if they at least have one for store use and could test your bulb.
That’s a thought but I very much doubt they do. All we have here is petsmart and pet co and they don’t tend to want to do anything for you and I doubt they even would do it for their own animals even! It’s the stores that are dedicated to good reptile care that would do that. If I still lived in a California I bet I could find a place there but not here.

Back
Top Bottom