Hyperion will only eat supers

pssh

Avid Member
He's been only eating supers so I starved him for a week, but he still won't eat anything else voluntarily. He will however eat dubia if I pop them in his mouth while he is chewing a super, is there any problem with doing that?

He's been only eating supers so I starved him for a week, but he still won't eat anything else voluntarily. He will however eat dubia if I pop them in his mouth while he is chewing a super, is there any problem with doing that?

No problem with popping them in.

I would also like to note that nothing wrong with just supers if they are gutloaded properly. They may have a lot of fat but chameleons can thrive off of them if they are gutloaded properly like you would a cricket. It is not ideal but I have a 3 year old who only eats supers and sometimes a horn or silk and the very rare cricket.

Just keep offering other foods and pop a roach in every now and then. At least he is eating.

I wouldn't worry about eating only supers as long as you gutload them same as crickets. If he is a worm guy, he will need variety like HW and silkies. As you know my Rocko will not touch a cricket or dubia, but I do make sure he eats HW and SW in between supers. Maybe try some flies too!

Yeah, I know others have raised them on only supers, but I feel like if I put a different bug in along with the supers, it'd be better for him. Plus the darned supers are really hard to dust. I have to order some miner-all. I think I'll feed him for another week or two and try starving again. I got him to eat dubia by popping them in while he was chewing, so maybe he'll start to eat other stuff again if I do that?

Edit: Blah, I dislike silkies. They always get that disease with me and die! I clean the frass twice a day and they still die.

Yeah, I know others have raised them on only supers, but I feel like if I put a different bug in along with the supers, it'd be better for him. Plus the darned supers are really hard to dust. I have to order some miner-all. I think I'll feed him for another week or two and try starving again. I got him to eat dubia by popping them in while he was chewing, so maybe he'll start to eat other stuff again if I do that?

Edit: Blah, I dislike silkies. They always get that disease with me and die! I clean the frass twice a day and they still die.

The humidity may be too high for the silkies and that's why they're dieing

Have you tried blue bottle flies? My panther loves them, but he eats just about anything. They are also easy to dust and hold the vitamins/calcium for a long time.

I keep them in the driest part of my house... That's where I keep my chameleons also. My house isn't real dry, even with the AC going.

Mista also prefers super,s although he is on yet another hunger strike at the moment.
i've had no problems so far and find he lets me know when he is ready for a change.
As for the problems dusting them not sure that this is ideal but i give them a little spray of water then dip their tails in the dust seems to work for me.

Try going longer than just a week without supers. Dont starve him, offer him crickets and roaches and whatever else, just not supers, for as long as it takes. He'll give in eventually.

Back
Top Bottom