Hygrometer

I use two... both are digital hydrometers. One is in the right upper third of the enclosure and the other is in the bottom left third of the enclosure so I am measuring two different gradients of the enclosure as a whole. Placement varies but you want to make sure they are not getting sprayed by any water for them to give you accurate readings.

I got a new light and a fogger for her. Does my automatic mister have to spray for 2 minutes even if i am hand misting her throughout the day??

Attachments

• 15543888027531504493826.jpg
    15543888027531504493826.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 120
Also, how do you drain out the excess water from the bottom?! I have to continuously dry it/clean it to keep up with the water. Any suggestions?

Also, how do you drain out the excess water from the bottom?! I have to continuously dry it/clean it to keep up with the water. Any suggestions?
I have a large tupperware container at the bottom of mine (also I have a plant in it). The plant allows for crickets to climb out if they fall in (otherwise you'll find drowned insects in there if you let them free range the cage like i do). My humidifier drips from the top of the cage screen, down the leaves of the pothos and eventually into the bin at the bottom--see my pic below.

Attachments

• 20190303_172534.jpg
    20190303_172534.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 108
I have one bowl on one side, and a plant on the other to catch the water, still too wet. Perhaps i need a bigger bowl! Lol

Attachments

• 1554390370736742642862.jpg
    1554390370736742642862.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 139
I got a new light and a fogger for her. Does my automatic mister have to spray for 2 minutes even if i am hand misting her throughout the day??
You are just running the fogger at night right? You can just set your misting system to do it for you and she will prefer it because you will not be there to watch her. You want to do like 3 cycles 1 in the morning one mid day and one in the evening... Giving about 4-5 hours in between for the cage to dry back out. 2 minute cycles and then my mid day one I run a 3 minute cycle. All this can vary slightly depending on the humidity you get where you live. I have higher humidity so I just make sure that my hydrometer is not measuring over that 70 percent. Mine stays consistent 50-60 percent then spikes when misting.
They make these drip pans for water heaters. Depending on the size of the enclosure you get the pan that it will fit. I would raise the cage up about an inch or two on the pan and then you drill holes in the plastic bottom of your cage to allow the water to drip through. I like the pans that have the valve hole because you can attach tubing to it into a bucket to create a gravity drain. This one would be used with a 2x2x4 cage.
https://www.amazon.com/DiversiTech-...SV2D0V11G1B&psc=1&refRID=48GR67TZ8SV2D0V11G1B

Careful with bowls... They can get really nasty. Optimally you want the water draining out of the cage to reduce the bacteria they are exposed to.. Then you just clean the bottom for fecal each day. hot soapy water solution works well for this then wipe it all back out.

So it makes sense why you hang your plants on the side. It is SO much work to move the plants each time to clean out the bottom! This cham is really giving me a run for my $. Pun intended!!!

And my mister has a timer, but it says i can mist for 15, 30, 45, or 60 seconds. And only every 1, 3, 6, or 12 hours. And I was fogging once during the day and once at night. The day only like 45 minutes, the night a couple hours. But you think I should not fog during the day? I have practically 0 humdity here in so cal. Lol!

And my mister has a timer, but it says i can mist for 15, 30, 45, or 60 seconds. And only every 1, 3, 6, or 12 hours. And I was fogging once during the day and once at night. The day only like 45 minutes, the night a couple hours. But you think I should not fog during the day? I have practically 0 humdity here in so cal. Lol!
Hmmmmm well in that case.. I wonder if you could put a timer on it to over ride it. I use these and love them. You can program 7 separate on off times. But it only can be used with the device you want to run that way. https://www.amazon.com/Woods-50029W...4418456&s=gateway&sprefix=woods+timer,aps,251

I personally do not mix fogging with lighting during the day. Heat and fog is not always the best combo for the cham. I do fog at night from 1am-4am when the cage is at its coolest and no lighting is in use.

ok, I will have to wait until next month to fix my misting. How cold does your cage get at night? And do you use an extra heat source besides the light? It seems like the lights dont get nearly enough, but the heat bulb I have gets way too hot now that it isn't winter.

I see you have a fogger. Just making sure your also giving him misting sessions? those he needs for drinking. also foggers aren't the best option, when you can look into an auto mister.

ok, I will have to wait until next month to fix my misting. How cold does your cage get at night? And do you use an extra heat source besides the light? It seems like the lights dont get nearly enough, but the heat bulb I have gets way too hot now that it isn't winter.
Yeah so my cage temp at night drops to about 65-67 degrees. My only heat sources are my quad T5 light fixture and the heat lamp.
I have a dimming thermostat that controls my heat lamp keeping it at the exact temp I want. They are a little pricey. If you heat lamp is too hot then you want to drop your wattage of bulb or get a dimming fixture like fluckers makes. I did this to begin with. It allows you to manually adjust how strong the bulb is.

As far as your mister. Right now I would do the max 60 seconds every 3 hours for daytime then switch it to 15 seconds every 6 when you go to bed. Misting at night won't hurt anything. But see about picking up one of those timers they are pretty decently priced and it should work I would think with the mister.

Back
Top Bottom