Husbandry Review

lexiexxox

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

I own an about 3 month old male veiled chameleon. I got it 2 days ago (May 2, 2020).

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

I never handled my chameleon yet. It needs time to settle down and get used to things before any more stress.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

Today, I fed him 4 calcium w/o d3 covered small crickets, and a wax worm. I gut load my crickets with carrot chunks and spinach. I plan to feed my chameleon more as he gets settled in and develops a sturdier appetite. I have a thread where I need help on my feeding approaches, If you can read that one too, please help!

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Calcium w/o D3- Zoo Med, Repti Calcium (Everyday except:)
Calcium w/ D3- Rep-Cal, Phosphorus-Free (Once a week, Sunday’s)
Multivitamin- Rep-Cal, Herptivite w/ Beta Carotene (Once a month, Saturday)
I feed him every morning so he has time to bask in the light and process his food.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

We unfortunately can’t get a listing system right now. I use a clean, large spray bottle (like the ones for Windex, NOT an actual Windex bottle lol). Once after I feed him in the morning around 11am, once in the middle of the day around 4pm, and once right before bed around 11pm. I mist until there are clear big droplets on every leaf and until i see the humidity levels rise on my hydrometer. I have a handmade dripper (poked a tiny hole with a thumbtack in a plastic container) and I put it on top of the cage, above many leaves so he has plenty of places to stay hydrated. Yes, I saw him drink yesterday and today from a few leaves. His urates are bright white so I’m guessing he’s properly hydrated.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Again, urates are bright white with little orange dot at the verrrrrry end. Droppings were smooth, consistently brown and sectioned off a little at 2 points. No I have not tested my chameleon.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

I understand that PetSmart is NOT a good place to get a cham. I hope mine isn’t going to get sick in the future, but he seems to be doing perfectly fine. He just finished shedding, has one tiny piece left on his back ridge.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Mesh 18x18x36in enclosure, metal frames. We will upgrade to a 24x24x48in enclosure at the 7 month mark.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

All Zoo Med products. Dual Light Fixture, 5.0 UVB Reptisun Compact Bulb 13 watt, 60watt Daylight Blue Heat Bulb. I know the compact UVB is not ideal for a chameleon. We are trying our best to get a linear bulb and fixture, but with the whole pandemic, shipping is out of wack. They have crazy prices at PetSmart, we are trying to get one online. I turn the lights on at 11am, off at 12am. 11 hours off, 13 hours on.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?

73.2 on floor, 84.6 on basking branch.

Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

Our house stays at a stable temp of 68 degrees. We use a thermostat.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

I use a digital hydrometer on the BOTTOM of my cage, next to my thermometer screen (not the measurement point, which is at the basking spot). It is propped on a plant. Right now, it measures 64%. I mist the cage 3 times a day, more if levels drop below 50%, I don’t feel comfortable having it in the 40s, too close for me.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Aluminum plant, Bromeliad, Pica, Croton, Bamboo. I also have one fake vine and one fake leafy branch. They are all potted, except the bamboo which is attatched to the enclosure walls for horizontal branches. I have some drift wood as well. Everything I placed in the cage has been thoroughly washed. The pots are placed on top of a 2in layer of coconut substrate for drainage help and humidity help. To prevent my chameleon from potentially ingesting some, I covered most of the layer with pretty and clean rocks and crystals. I placed a little statue at the bottom for more decor and made a bamboo and string bridge and placed it by the top.

Placement - Where is your cage located?
Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

The cage is in my room. I keep it organized all the time. There are no vents nearby, only directly across the room. I stay in my room and am quiet doing my own thing most of the time, once I leave my room, I usually stay out for a long time, unless I need to grab something. The cage is placed on a 2.5ft tall night table. My cat doesn’t come into my room either.

Location - Where are you geographically located?

Washington State, USA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I have 2 threads I previously made on some concerns I have.

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.Photos can be very helpful
336BAC97-0140-4B76-A167-C7F410E4246B.jpeg
9196AF4C-A1BE-4CCF-BEFE-A757986F6850.jpeg
94AB78AF-911D-428B-98CD-F8B930BD8622.jpeg
DADA7183-CFF9-46DD-B6B8-A7713ADBCCDA.jpeg
4AE61AAD-6B8B-42C0-BC0E-0C9E2BA3DB6E.jpeg
053EF905-D69F-43D9-97AA-9FE86902B421.jpeg
761AE893-1AF3-427C-9AAC-615E13D78511.jpeg

Re: your previous posts. I would use a feeder cup of some kind. I’m currently just using a clear deli cup. Black colors are probably just from him getting anxious or upset. You should be feeding more as well. My 3 month old eats about 15 crickets a day at this age on top of a few small BSFL and roaches. The rest you seem to be aware of what needs correcting...uvb is primary.

Re: your previous posts. I would use a feeder cup of some kind. I’m currently just using a clear deli cup. Black colors are probably just from him getting anxious or upset. You should be feeding more as well. My 3 month old eats about 15 crickets a day at this age on top of a few small BSFL and roaches. The rest you seem to be aware of what needs correcting...uvb is primary.
How will the chameleon find where the crickets are? I tried a cup on the side of the enclosure and he didn’t eat them.

Hi :) Thanks for all the info. Super helpful. Feedback below

- Spinach is not something to use for gutload because it is high in phosphorus.

- Your supplement schedule is *almost* right. You only want to use calcium with D3 once a week every other week and then you want to use your multivitamin once a week every other week.

- He needs the correct UVB ASAP. https://www.reptilebasics.com/ has T5 bulbs in stock. I've also seen a few on Amazon recently.

- I would recommend having his lights on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. You want to mimic the natural day and night cycle as best as possible.
- What's in the bottom of the enclosure?
- Are you planning on using any other feeders besides crickets and wax worms?

Hi :) Thanks for all the info. Super helpful. Feedback below

- Spinach is not something to use for gutload because it is high in phosphorus.

- Your supplement schedule is *almost* right. You only want to use calcium with D3 once a week every other week and then you want to use your multivitamin once a week every other week.

- He needs the correct UVB ASAP. https://www.reptilebasics.com/ has T5 bulbs in stock. I've also seen a few on Amazon recently.

- I would recommend having his lights on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. You want to mimic the natural day and night cycle as best as possible.
- What's in the bottom of the enclosure?
- Are you planning on using any other feeders besides crickets and wax worms?

Will do!

At the bottom I put a 2in layer of coconut fiber substrate to help lock in the humidity and to use as drainage. To prevent my cham from accidentally ingesting it too much, I covered the substrate with rocks and crystals which also serves as decoration. I also covered the dirt in the pots with pebbles. I thoroughly washed everything I put in the enclosure and made sure I rinsed the excess soap residue off.

Yes I am planning to put him on a diet of 3 or more types of insects. I’ve researched many options, but I’m curious what your top picks are.

Gotcha. The general recommendation is either a bare bottom or a bioactive bottom.

My top 3 favorite bugs to feed are dubias, black solider flies, and black solider fly larvae.

I rank 10 types of bugs in this video:

Gotcha. The general recommendation is either a bare bottom or a bioactive bottom.

My top 3 favorite bugs to feed are dubias, black solider flies, and black solider fly larvae.

I rank 10 types of bugs in this video:

Ohh okay got it.
Thank you so much for all the help! Appreciate it :)

Sure thing. Please update us as you make changes and ask any questions you might have along the way.

Back
Top Bottom