Husbandry/lighting

Hsandovaljr

Established Member
Can I get your guys thoughts. Currently my branches are 8inches from top of screen. I didn’t take in account the lights seating on top of wire rack which is 2 inches from top of screen. Should I move branches up ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 47
I dont think it will matter much. As long as the cham gets within a foot of the bulb you will be good. Worst case since you dont have a meter is the cham gets too close to a fresh bulb. But lets say 8" is uvi 3 and 12" is uvi 2-2.5. Its not going to matter much since the bulb is going to age away way and no matter what its still going to go down to 1-1.5 before you change it in a 12-18 months.

I dont think it will matter much. As long as the cham gets within a foot of the bulb you will be good. Worst case since you dont have a meter is the cham gets too close to a fresh bulb. But lets say 8" is uvi 3 and 12" is uvi 2-2.5. Its not going to matter much since the bulb is going to age away way and no matter what its still going to go down to 1-1.5 before you change it in a 12-18 months.
During winter do you change your heating bulb to a higher wattage ?

I don't disagree with nightanole at all.

From your pics, it looks like it would be relatively simple to move the basking perch up that couple of inches if you want to.

During winter do you change your heating bulb to a higher wattage ?
I do not, but the climate in our house tends to stay the same year-round.

I guess it depends on how much of a difference in room temp you get between the seasons.
Higher wattage, move the bulb closer, change the angle of the bulb, insulate the enclosure, turn up the dimmer (if it's a dimmable bulb)—are all ways of maintaining temps, and I'm sure there are more.

If it's a concern, you might think what might work best for your situation, and then just have it ready in case... If your temps are maintained as they are, GREAT! :cool:

I think it’s fine as it is. Don’t forget to take into account that your chameleon’s back will be a couple of inches higher from the branch
Is it bad to have the blinds up and let the sun shine through?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Is it bad to have the blinds up ?
Probably not, but it may depend on how that affects your room temperature.
East-facing windows are best, followed by West, North, and South (South may be too hot in some cases).

My enclosure is situated very similarly to yours. The enclosure front faces South, but it is at a right angle to—and set back from—a large East-facing window.

Probably not, but it may depend on how that affects your room temperature.
East-facing windows are best, followed by West, North, and South (South may be too hot in some cases).

My enclosure is situated very similarly to yours. The enclosure front faces South, but it is at a right angle to—and set back from—a large East-facing window.
I been having to open the blinds to help raise the temp since it’s been cold lately. My basking spot has been taking forever to warm up. It doesn’t hit 85 till like 12 noon. Ambient and humidity are good. Im thinking about getting a 75 watt basking bulb. Right now I’m using a 50 watt

Can't hurt to try it. Establishing a basking site is ALWAYS a matter of trial & error with all the variables involved. And if you ever 'remodel', you get to do it all again! :p 😁

Back
Top Bottom