Husbandry check

mbist

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?: I have been caring for a male veiled chameleon. I would guess he was about 3-4 months old when I first got him, and he is approximately a year old now.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?: Everyday. He is a very friendly chameleon and enjoys coming out of his cage often. When he is out, it's only for about 15 minutes once or twice a day. If it were up to him, he would roam around the house freely.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?: His feeding schedule at this point in time is every other day. He eats a variety of live insects including crickets, dubia roaches, mealworms, black soldier fly larvae, and superworms. Crickets and mealworms are the stables in his diet. On feeding days, I'll give him about 5 crickets and 4 mealworms. Not a huge fan of dubia roaches, but he does go for them time to time. Superworms are a treat, he only gets them about once a week/every other week. The crickets are stored in a plastic bin (with holes for ventilation) and are feed collard greens and provided fluker's orange cubes. He also eats dark greens such as kale, collard, and mustard greens.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?: I use Repashy superfoods calcium plus on every feeding.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?: I mist his cage 3-4 times a day for 3-4 minutes as well as using a dripper 1-2 times a day for 15 minutes. Even though the water falls onto his plant and he can clearly see it, he doesn't seem to drink from the dripper. Alas, he does enjoy the water for quick rinse so I still provide. He does drink from the spray bottle I mist him with so I'm not too concerned about his hydration.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?: He has always had normal fecal matter. Mostly solid with a slimy outside, deep brown and mostly white, very slightly yellow urate. He has never been tested.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you: As a baby, he did seem to fall in his cage and fracture his arm. I took him to the vet, but unfortunately because I live in a small town, they were not very experienced with chameleons. It was left to heal on its own. Since then the problem hasn't gotten worse and I changed his tank to be very accessible. He still has a very strong grip and doesn't have problems moving or climbing. In the photos below you can see where the problem. Makes me really sad :( but at least it is under control.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoo Med Reptibreeze screen cage, 2x2x4
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?: I use a Zoo Med 100w basking light that is sitting at a 45 degree angle on top of his cage. I also use the Exo Terra Solar Glo 125w uvb light and it is suspended 10-12 inches above his cage. The lights are on about 7am-9pm, the uvb is on 7am-2pm. He does wake up on his own so I just turn his lights on when I notice he has moved from his sleeping spot.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? His basking spot is at 85ish degrees, which is at the top of the cage. Further down it drops to about 75. I have two thermometers, one at the top and one at the bottom to monitor the different temperatures. The temperature drops to about 70 overnight.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?: 40-50%. Misting his tank a few times a day helps to maintain the humidity, and I am planning on buying a humidifier as well. Our thermometers also have hygrometers on them so we use those.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?: I use a mix of live and fake plants. I have two plastic plants hanging from the walls and plastic vines hanging from branches. I have a large Ravenea rivularis in the center of his cage.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?: At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?: Because of my current limited space, his cage is in the living room. It's placed on the floor, but is not by any fans or vents.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?: Minnesota, USA

Attachments

• IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2216.jpg
    IMG_2216.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2213.jpg
    IMG_2213.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 117
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?: I have been caring for a male veiled chameleon. I would guess he was about 3-4 months old when I first got him, and he is approximately a year old now.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?: Everyday. He is a very friendly chameleon and enjoys coming out of his cage often. When he is out, it's only for about 15 minutes once or twice a day. If it were up to him, he would roam around the house freely.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?: His feeding schedule at this point in time is every other day. He eats a variety of live insects including crickets, dubia roaches, mealworms, black soldier fly larvae, and superworms. Crickets and mealworms are the stables in his diet. On feeding days, I'll give him about 5 crickets and 4 mealworms. Not a huge fan of dubia roaches, but he does go for them time to time. Superworms are a treat, he only gets them about once a week/every other week. The crickets are stored in a plastic bin (with holes for ventilation) and are feed collard greens and provided fluker's orange cubes. He also eats dark greens such as kale, collard, and mustard greens.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?: I use Repashy superfoods calcium plus on every feeding.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?: I mist his cage 3-4 times a day for 3-4 minutes as well as using a dripper 1-2 times a day for 15 minutes. Even though the water falls onto his plant and he can clearly see it, he doesn't seem to drink from the dripper. Alas, he does enjoy the water for quick rinse so I still provide. He does drink from the spray bottle I mist him with so I'm not too concerned about his hydration.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?: He has always had normal fecal matter. Mostly solid with a slimy outside, deep brown and mostly white, very slightly yellow urate. He has never been tested.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you: As a baby, he did seem to fall in his cage and fracture his arm. I took him to the vet, but unfortunately because I live in a small town, they were not very experienced with chameleons. It was left to heal on its own. Since then the problem hasn't gotten worse and I changed his tank to be very accessible. He still has a very strong grip and doesn't have problems moving or climbing. In the photos below you can see where the problem. Makes me really sad :( but at least it is under control.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?: I use a Zoo Med 100w basking light that is sitting at a 45 degree angle on top of his cage. I also use the Exo Terra Solar Glo 125w uvb light and it is suspended 10-12 inches above his cage. The lights are on about 7am-9pm, the uvb is on 7am-2pm. He does wake up on his own so I just turn his lights on when I notice he has moved from his sleeping spot.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? His basking spot is at 85ish degrees, which is at the top of the cage. Further down it drops to about 75. I have two thermometers, one at the top and one at the bottom to monitor the different temperatures. The temperature drops to about 70 overnight.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?: 40-50%. Misting his tank a few times a day helps to maintain the humidity, and I am planning on buying a humidifier as well. Our thermometers also have hygrometers on them so we use those.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?: I use a mix of live and fake plants. I have two plastic plants hanging from the walls and plastic vines hanging from branches. I have a large Ravenea rivularis in the center of his cage.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?: At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?: Because of my current limited space, his cage is in the living room. It's placed on the floor, but is not by any fans or vents.
What kind of plant is that in the middle?

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
Hi there did you ever get your husbandry reviewed? If not I would be happy to do so for you. :)

I am sure that Beman will discuss this, but it appears from those pictures that your chameleon has some MBD. His front leg has a noticeable bow to it. It appears that you are using a MVB for UVB. While these bulbs do produce a lot of UVB for a while, they are not recommended for chameleon. You should get a linear T5HO fixture with a Reptisun UVB 5.0 or Arcadia 6%.

Also, are you supplementing any multivitamins or Calcium with D3? if so what type and how often?

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?: His feeding schedule at this point in time is every other day. He eats a variety of live insects including crickets, dubia roaches, mealworms, black soldier fly larvae, and superworms. Crickets and mealworms are the stables in his diet. On feeding days, I'll give him about 5 crickets and 4 mealworms. Not a huge fan of dubia roaches, but he does go for them time to time. Superworms are a treat, he only gets them about once a week/every other week. The crickets are stored in a plastic bin (with holes for ventilation) and are feed collard greens and provided fluker's orange cubes. He also eats dark greens such as kale, collard, and mustard greens. I would not use mealworms. I would add things like sweet red pepper, sweet potato, squash, zucchini, carrots, a small amount of berries, apples pears, papaya, etc to the feed/gutload for the insects...and drop the orange cubes.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you: As a baby, he did seem to fall in his cage and fracture his arm. I took him to the vet, but unfortunately because I live in a small town, they were not very experienced with chameleons. It was left to heal on its own. Since then the problem hasn't gotten worse and I changed his tank to be very accessible. He still has a very strong grip and doesn't have problems moving or climbing. In the photos below you can see where the problem. Makes me really sad :( but at least it is under control. The left arm?

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?: I use a Zoo Med 100w basking light that is sitting at a 45 degree angle on top of his cage. I also use the Exo Terra Solar Glo 125w uvb light and it is suspended 10-12 inches above his cage. The lights are on about 7am-9pm, the uvb is on 7am-2pm. He does wake up on his own so I just turn his lights on when I notice he has moved from his sleeping spot. I leave the UVB on for 12 hours and off for 12 and usually do the same for the basking light unless the weather makes the cage too hot. The most often recommended UVB light is the reptisun 5.0 long linear tube light. For basking I use w regular household incandescent light of a wattage that puts the basking temperature in mid 80's F
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?: I use a mix of live and fake plants. I have two plastic plants hanging from the walls and plastic vines hanging from branches. I have a large Ravenea rivularis in the center of his cage. with veiled chameleons I always use real non toxic well washed both sides of the leaves and tree branches...no fake miss or fake vines...since veileds nibble on vegetation.

I am sure that Beman will discuss this, but it appears from those pictures that your chameleon has some MBD. His front leg has a noticeable bow to it. It appears that you are using a MVB for UVB. While these bulbs do produce a lot of UVB for a while, they are not recommended for chameleon. You should get a linear T5HO fixture with a Reptisun UVB 5.0 or Arcadia 6%.

Also, are you supplementing any multivitamins or Calcium with D3? if so what type and how often?

Yes, I do agree that he is suffering from some MBD. I have been concerned about the uvb output of his light so thank you for your suggestion! I will try out that fixture and bulb.

Yes, I do agree that he is suffering from some MBD. I have been concerned about the uvb output of his light so thank you for your suggestion! I will try out that fixture and bulb.
And also for the vitamins, we do have a multi vitamin and a calcium with D3 powder. I was under the impression the powder mentioned in my original post was sufficient. I can’t recall the brand name; we just recently moved and it is in a box. I will update tomorrow once I’ve unpacked it

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?: His feeding schedule at this point in time is every other day. He eats a variety of live insects including crickets, dubia roaches, mealworms, black soldier fly larvae, and superworms. Crickets and mealworms are the stables in his diet. On feeding days, I'll give him about 5 crickets and 4 mealworms. Not a huge fan of dubia roaches, but he does go for them time to time. Superworms are a treat, he only gets them about once a week/every other week. The crickets are stored in a plastic bin (with holes for ventilation) and are feed collard greens and provided fluker's orange cubes. He also eats dark greens such as kale, collard, and mustard greens. I would not use mealworms. I would add things like sweet red pepper, sweet potato, squash, zucchini, carrots, a small amount of berries, apples pears, papaya, etc to the feed/gutload for the insects...and drop the orange cubes.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you: As a baby, he did seem to fall in his cage and fracture his arm. I took him to the vet, but unfortunately because I live in a small town, they were not very experienced with chameleons. It was left to heal on its own. Since then the problem hasn't gotten worse and I changed his tank to be very accessible. He still has a very strong grip and doesn't have problems moving or climbing. In the photos below you can see where the problem. Makes me really sad :( but at least it is under control. The left arm?

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?: I use a Zoo Med 100w basking light that is sitting at a 45 degree angle on top of his cage. I also use the Exo Terra Solar Glo 125w uvb light and it is suspended 10-12 inches above his cage. The lights are on about 7am-9pm, the uvb is on 7am-2pm. He does wake up on his own so I just turn his lights on when I notice he has moved from his sleeping spot. I leave the UVB on for 12 hours and off for 12 and usually do the same for the basking light unless the weather makes the cage too hot. The most often recommended UVB light is the reptisun 5.0 long linear tube light. For basking I use w regular household incandescent light of a wattage that puts the basking temperature in mid 80's F
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?: I use a mix of live and fake plants. I have two plastic plants hanging from the walls and plastic vines hanging from branches. I have a large Ravenea rivularis in the center of his cage. with veiled chameleons I always use real non toxic well washed both sides of the leaves and tree branches...no fake miss or fake vines...since veileds nibble on vegetation.
I cut mealworms out of his diet about 2 weeks ago and he has just been eating primarily crickets. I’ve been waiting on a shipment of dubia roaches and silk worms but it has been awhile due to online shortages. Thank you for your vegetable suggestions, the orange cubes did feel absolutely useless... In regards to his arms, yes his left one is the one that appeared to have been fractured. To elaborate on the situation, we were incorrectly supplementing (dusting too soon so by the time he ate the bugs it wasn’t enough) for approximately the first month of having him. We quickly realized our mistake and adjusted, but it still inevitably led to MBD, which in turn most likely caused the fracture. Also I have never seen him try to nibble on his fake plants, but I would definitely like to get real ones. Do you have any suggestions where to find lowish priced, chameleon safe plants? Thank you for your response

You want to use the calcium without D3 daily, but they still need some D3. The recommended dosage is to use it once, every other week and use the mutivitamin on the weeks you don't use the calcium with D3.

For example:

Week 1 - Calcium without D3 Mon-Sat. and Calcium with D3 on Sunday
Week 2 - Calcium without D3 Mon-Sat. and Multivitamin on Sunday
Week 3 - Calcium without D3 Mon-Sat. and Calcium with D3 on Sunday
Week 4 - Calcium without D3 Mon-Sat. and Multivitamin on Sunday

I cut mealworms out of his diet about 2 weeks ago and he has just been eating primarily crickets. I’ve been waiting on a shipment of dubia roaches and silk worms but it has been awhile due to online shortages. Thank you for your vegetable suggestions, the orange cubes did feel absolutely useless... In regards to his arms, yes his left one is the one that appeared to have been fractured. To elaborate on the situation, we were incorrectly supplementing (dusting too soon so by the time he ate the bugs it wasn’t enough) for approximately the first month of having him. We quickly realized our mistake and adjusted, but it still inevitably led to MBD, which in turn most likely caused the fracture. Also I have never seen him try to nibble on his fake plants, but I would definitely like to get real ones. Do you have any suggestions where to find lowish priced, chameleon safe plants? Thank you for your response
I just went to Home Depot for my plants. I spent a solid hour checking each plant against the safe plant list. Came home with some nice plants and didn't cost a fortune.

I used this list to verify each plant - https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

You want to use the calcium without D3 daily, but they still need some D3. The recommended dosage is to use it once, every other week and use the mutivitamin on the weeks you don't use the calcium with D3.

For example:

Week 1 - Calcium without D3 Mon-Sat. and Calcium with D3 on Sunday
Week 2 - Calcium without D3 Mon-Sat. and Multivitamin on Sunday
Week 3 - Calcium without D3 Mon-Sat. and Calcium with D3 on Sunday
Week 4 - Calcium without D3 Mon-Sat. and Multivitamin on Sunday
I’ll start on this schedule tomorrow.

You said...."I cut mealworms out of his diet about 2 weeks ago and he has just been eating primarily crickets. I’ve been waiting on a shipment of dubia roaches and silk worms but it has been awhile due to online shortages"...you can add hornworms, BSFL. And once in a while as a treat a couple of waxworms or superworms.

Tou said..."Thank you for your vegetable suggestions, the orange cubes did feel absolutely useless"... You're welcome.

You said..."In regards to his arms, yes his left one is the one that appeared to have been fractured. To elaborate on the situation, we were incorrectly supplementing (dusting too soon so by the time he ate the bugs it wasn’t enough) for approximately the first month of having him. We quickly realized our mistake and adjusted, but it still inevitably led to MBD, which in turn most likely caused the fracture"...what was done to correct the MBD?

You said..."Also I have never seen him try to nibble on his fake plants, but I would definitely like to get real ones. Do you have any suggestions where to find lowish priced, chameleon safe plants?"...sorry...Imlive in Canada and wouldn't know.

You said..."Thank you for your response"...you're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom