Husbandry Check (also new :))

JessG

6B3C6E31-B493-4594-B9EC-FB1D86511F52.jpeg 7881677F-7151-49E8-A19E-26689825020A.jpeg
520822DF-304A-4215-8C45-B83D55A4B8BB.jpeg

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 4-4 1/2 month old super translucent veiled female.

Handling - How often do you handle you chameleon? I cup feed Penelope, only time I “handle” her.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets (only thing she will eat, I have tried butter worms but she wants nothing to do with them). About 9-10 a day. She eats in the afternoon. Crickets are gutloaded wiTh fresh veggies/fruits/greens, whatever I have in the fridge at the time.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium without D3 every feeding. Calcium with D3 twice a month. And vitamins twice a month.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I hand most her about 3/4 times a day for about 2 minutes. I see her drink sometimes. I put a Dripper when I am gone to work. Also in the process of ordering a misting system.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No idea if she has been tested. Poop is solid dark color and Urate has always been white.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you... shes still new to me so im learning her habits!!

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? All screen cage. I believe it is 18x18x36. Hubby has built an all screen cage that is 5ft high 2ft wide and 2 ft deep. She will be transferred when she is a little bigger.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? ReptiSun 5.0 UVB and a day heating bulb (I bought the zoo med chameleon starter kit. Using the two lights that were in there). I am looking for new light, any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is low 80’s. Overnight is about 65-70. Haven’t thought of checking. I have a digital thermometer. I am looking for another tool for measuring.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have never checked honestly. I would say it stays pretty humid as I have a live plant. I will be purchasing a humidity thermometer or something. Any recommendations?

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes. Pothos that has grew unbelievably. Will be adding more once she is in her bigger cage.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is In the living room (for now). She is on a table a few feet off the floor. Not around any fans/air vents.

Location - Where are you geographically located? I am in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Canada

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Not really any problems. Just wanted to see if I was doing most things okay. And looking for advice/suggestions. Also wanted to know if I was “overfeeding” my Penelope.
One issue is that I ran out of small crickets yesterday. Went to both pet stores in my city and they only had larges for the next couple of days. Is she okay eating a couple large crickets? Or should I skip one day of feeding.

Looks good for the most part! I only have 3 quick comments: (1) Just in case, make sure you know that the fruits/veggies from your fridge are good choices for chameleons. There are some produce that you really need to avoid, so make sure to research what you're feeding at the time; (2) If you're using the lights from that gosh darn kit, you'll definitely want to switch the UVB to a linear model (reptisun 5.0 is fine, but the compact bulb that comes with the kit is bad news); (3) Sounds like you're already planning on this, but definitely make sure you buy a hygrometer to measure humidity. Just get a digital one off amazon, I would say (avoid analog models, they're not great)

Looks good for the most part! I only have 3 quick comments: (1) Just in case, make sure you know that the fruits/veggies from your fridge are good choices for chameleons. There are some produce that you really need to avoid, so make sure to research what you're feeding at the time; (2) If you're using the lights from that gosh darn kit, you'll definitely want to switch the UVB to a linear model (reptisun 5.0 is fine, but the compact bulb that comes with the kit is bad news); (3) Sounds like you're already planning on this, but definitely make sure you buy a hygrometer to measure humidity. Just get a digital one off amazon, I would say (avoid analog models, they're not great)
Thank you. I have researched what was best for gutloading! And I recently just found out the bulb from the kit wasn’t good to use.. I was thinking of a linear one but wasn’t sure which type, I will look for at the one you recommended!

Back
Top Bottom