Husbandry Check a Few Questions

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
Hi I have a few husbandry questions and would like to have it reviewed.He is a male veiled 5 to six months old. He is doing fine but I just want to get double checked. Could you please tell me what to do for when he is an adult too next to your feedback. I have a few questions too. 1. how much to feed of each bug weekly I will have list of feeders below. 2. I would also like to know how to get humidity up at night. 3. How to keep discoids outside without them breeding. 4. Do you think he is fat,will have pictures below.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.How long has he been in your care? Male veiled 5 to 6 months. Been in my care for about 3 months. I got him under 3 months old.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I am taming him so every day for about 2 to 5 minutes or whenever he wants off. I go at his pace.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him every day .I feed 7 to 8 crickets, 5 to 6 BSFl, 3 or 4 flies and moths in total daily. As treats witch I rarely do 1 hornworm, 1 or 2 superworms, and 1or 2 waxworms. Wanting to start doing discoids instead of crickets. I Gutload with sweet potato, carrots,orange, mango, bee pollen and if I can find mustard greens or collard greens those.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?I use Repti-calcium without D3 daily, rep-cal with D3 2 times a month, Rep-cal advanced formula herptivite multivitamin 2 times a month, and bee pollen daily.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist him twice a day one a little after his lights go on and one later before his light go on.Both for about 4 to 6 minutes. I see him drink but he does not gently lick dew, he shoots his tongs at moving drops when I am there.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has white urates,brown and black poo and some clear goo. Never been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.none
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Repti-breeze 2x2x4 foot screen.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.00 T5 HO uvb. Repti heat lights 50 watts about to move to 75.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot 80 to 82 about to increase with 75 watt bulb. Then about 73 ambient up high and 72 down low. I measure with a heat gun. His lowest overnight temp is the same as ambient. I know it is bad but.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidy is about 55 to 57. spikes up to 60 or 70 during misting. At night the humidity is 55 to 57. planning on getting dehumidifier for day and humidifier for night.. I am maintaining these levels by a misting system and am measuring them by a therm pro humidity gauge like Beman has.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live and some fake leaves will have pictures. I use pothus, dracaena fragrant, and hibiscus.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? My cage is in my room. Low traffic, there is an air vent pretty close but it is not directly blowing on the cage.the height at the top is about 6 feet high and not much is higher than it.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in Florida
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

none

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful. have lots please look at all.
IMG-3329.jpg
IMG-3317.jpg
IMG-3332.jpg
IMG-3323.jpg
IMG-3333.jpg
IMG-3321.jpg

Like Quote Reply
IMG-3331.jpg
IMG-0317.jpg
IMG-3334.jpg
IMG-3335.jpg

I’ll let the more experienced folks go over everything with you, but for your gutload it’s a great time of year to grab dandelions out your yard if you haven’t put herbicide on them

I’m out wandering around every evening snagging dandelions for the bugs now. I used to kill them off, now I encourage them ?

I’ll let the more experienced folks go over everything with you, but for your gutload it’s a great time of year to grab dandelions out your yard if you haven’t put herbicide on them

I’m out wandering around every evening snagging dandelions for the bugs now. I used to kill them off, now I encourage them ?
thanks but I spray with pesticides.

Hi I have a few husbandry questions and would like to have it reviewed.I am 11 and I have a male veiled 5 to six months old his name is kiwi if anyone was wondering. He is doing fine but I just want to get double checked. Could you please tell me what to do for when he is an adult too next to your feedback. I have a few questions too. 1. how much to feed of each bug weekly I will have list of feeders below. 2. I would also like to know how to get humidity up at night. 3. How to keep discoids outside without them breeding. 4. Do you think he is fat,will have pictures below.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.How long has he been in your care? Male veiled 5 to 6 months. Been in my care for about 3 months. I got him under 3 months old.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I am taming him so every day for about 2 to 5 minutes or whenever he wants off. I go at his pace.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him every day .I feed 7 to 8 crickets, 5 to 6 BSFl, 3 or 4 flies and moths in total daily. As treats witch I rarely do 1 hornworm, 1 or 2 superworms, and 1or 2 waxworms. Wanting to start doing discoids instead of crickets. I Gutload with sweet potato, carrots,orange, mango, bee pollen and if I can find mustard greens or collard greens those.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?I use Repti-calcium without D3 daily, rep-cal with D3 2 times a month, Rep-cal advanced formula herptivite multivitamin 2 times a month, and bee pollen daily.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist him twice a day one a little after his lights go on and one later before his light go on.Both for about 4 to 6 minutes. I see him drink but he does not gently lick dew, he shoots his tongs at moving drops when I am there.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has white urates,brown and black poo and some clear goo. Never been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.none
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Repti-breeze 2x2x4 foot screen.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.00 T5 HO uvb. Repti heat lights 50 watts about to move to 75.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot 80 to 82 about to increase with 75 watt bulb. Then about 73 ambient up high and 72 down low. I measure with a heat gun. His lowest overnight temp is the same as ambient. I know it is bad but.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidy is about 55 to 57. spikes up to 60 or 70 during misting. At night the humidity is 55 to 57. planning on getting dehumidifier for day and humidifier for night.. I am maintaining these levels by a misting system and am measuring them by a therm pro humidity gauge like Beman has.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live and some fake leaves will have pictures. I use pothus, dracaena fragrant, and hibiscus.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? My cage is in my room. Low traffic, there is an air vent pretty close but it is not directly blowing on the cage.the height at the top is about 6 feet high and not much is higher than it.

none

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful. have lots please look at all.
View attachment 276235View attachment 276236View attachment 276237View attachment 276238View attachment 276239View attachment 276240
Like Quote Reply
View attachment 276241View attachment 276242View attachment 276243View attachment 276244

Hi I have a few husbandry questions and would like to have it reviewed.He is a male veiled 5 to six months old. He is doing fine but I just want to get double checked. Could you please tell me what to do for when he is an adult too next to your feedback. I have a few questions too. 1. how much to feed of each bug weekly I will have list of feeders below. There really is no set limit on each type of feeder. 2. I would also like to know how to get humidity up at night. Use a humidifier for a few hours 3. How to keep discoids outside without them breeding. @jamest0o0 is the one to answer this question 4. Do you think he is fat,will have pictures below. Not to my eyes. I think he looks good.

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I am taming him so every day for about 2 to 5 minutes or whenever he wants off. I go at his pace. Not ‘taming’. Is building trust. :)
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him every day .I feed 7 to 8 crickets, 5 to 6 BSFl, 3 or 4 flies and moths in total daily. As treats witch I rarely do 1 hornworm, 1 or 2 superworms, and 1or 2 waxworms. Wanting to start doing discoids instead of crickets. I Gutload with sweet potato, carrots,orange, mango, bee pollen and if I can find mustard greens or collard greens those. Looks very good. Nice variety of feeders. In a few months you’ll want to start to reduce the amount you’re feeding him. I believe the goal is to have him eating about 4-5 med sized feeders every other day by around 10 months old. Discoids are great feeders. If you wanted, you could add something like a little Bug Burger to your current gutload.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?I use Repti-calcium without D3 daily, rep-cal with D3 2 times a month, Rep-cal advanced formula herptivite multivitamin 2 times a month, and bee pollen daily. Good
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist him twice a day one a little after his lights go on and one later before his light go on.Both for about 4 to 6 minutes. I see him drink but he does not gently lick dew, he shoots his tongs at moving drops when I am there. I would cut that time back to about 2 minutes and if you wanted, could add a 1 minute misting mid day or use a dripper for a short time mid day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has white urates,brown and black poo and some clear goo. Never been tested for parasites. I’m a believer in wellness checks and always getting a fecal check for parasites.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Repti-breeze 2x2x4 foot screen. Good
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.00 T5 HO uvb. Repti heat lights 50 watts about to move to 75. Ok. I use a plain household incandescent bulb for basking. Not sure if it’s less expensive, but I think it is.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot 80 to 82 about to increase with 75 watt bulb. Why? Your temps are fine. As he gets a little older you can get up to 85* and I think a 60w bulb would be a better choice. Then about 73 ambient up high and 72 down low. I measure with a heat gun. His lowest overnight temp is the same as ambient. I know it is bad but.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidy is about 55 to 57. spikes up to 60 or 70 during misting. Yes...too humid. If you reduce your misting as I suggested above, that should help bring humidity down a bit. Ideal is between 30-50% during the day. At night the humidity is 55 to 57. planning on getting dehumidifier for day and humidifier for night.. I am maintaining these levels by a misting system and am measuring them by a therm pro humidity gauge like Beman has.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live and some fake leaves will have pictures. I use pothus, dracaena fragrant, and hibiscus. You know I’m going to tell you to get rid of the fake plants. ;) I attached my fake ones on the outside of the enclosures to give my chams a little extra privacy from my eyes. To give the space a little more natural feel, you can also wash them and drape them around the room.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? My cage is in my room. Low traffic, there is an air vent pretty close but it is not directly blowing on the cage.the height at the top is about 6 feet high and not much is higher than it. Very good

none
You need to add some more branches and/or vines to create more little chameleon roads. Another pothos or two would also be a great improvement. I use the vines of pothos to attach to branches to help fill in the space and provide more little areas of shade and hiding. You want to have to search for a couple of minutes to find your cham in it’s enclosure.
Aside from that, all looks very good. You’ve got the basics down. Now just need a few tweaks and you’re even better. :)
I am curious why you don’t want to start a colony of discoids. They’re super easy and you’ll never be without feeders again. I keep mine in the garage and they do very well. The only escapees I’ve had was from transferring them to feeder cup. I do like insurance though and keep a few roach traps also in the garage...just in case.

thank you for the help will do everything you said I was planning on adding the pothuses before posting but thank you any way. I would be fine with starting a discoid colony but I am 11 and parents don't even want me to have any roaches. Instead of roach traps I am going to use a cat a roach trap. :D

Yes, cats can work as roach traps very well. They catch crickets too.
Some people are able to get away with calling their roaches, ‘fancy beetles’. ;)
What part of Fl are you in? I’m in Brevard and currently am overwhelmed with silkworms (since my beardie has decided to brumate).

Back
Top Bottom