Hurricane Season Preparation...

CrazyChamLady13

Good morning...

As we all know, its hurricane season. My Landlord has had previous experience with flooding, trees falling and the whole black outs. I seen that a few live in FL. So I was wondering how everyone prepares for emergency packing.

I've lived in Central CA most of my live and haven't experienced any hurricanes... only earthquakes.

My little Guy wont be here til September, but we will be here for another year. I have cat, dog, and beardie to prepare for.

I am lucky enough to have a hurricane shelter built right next to my outdoor enclosure. Any emergencies and we all go in there.

I have some extras from my enclosure build... thinking about making my beardie a travel enclosure, and picking up a zipper mesh clothes hamper at IKEA for my cham. Going to need to pick up the cat carrier and put a dog leash in the car. Get a plastic container and put some the following items in:

For the pets: litter box, food and water dish, old towels, dog leash, small baggy of cat and dog food, cat litter... anything else for the pets?

Us humans: 2 pairs of pants each, 3 or 4 shirts each, personal hygiene bag, personal garments, socks, shoes.... blankets, towels...

Cat carrier, travel cage x2, ice chest, batteries and battery operated lantern...
most of the items I have double of. And car will be preloaded during the rest of the season. It may never happen but better to play it safe than sorry.

We had 3 hurricanes hit where I live. Two in 2004, Frances and Jean and then Wilma in 2005. It was pretty bad. We had to get a new roof put on our house two years in a row. :eek: We normally evacuate when we are in the cone and of course take our pets with us. I keep a travel cage ready for each animal at all times. We do have a generator for when we go back home. With Frances the power was out for a week after we were allowed to return home.

A nice Computer UPS would be big enough to last a couple days for your lights and mister. I am thinking a 1500 Watt UPS should do the trick. I know that not many people think of using computer supplies on cages and what not, but they are a great device that you can use on many things. I even have one for my cable modem, router, and switch so that in case something happens I can still use my laptop and have internet. I am just sneaky like that.

The nice thing about hurricanes is that you have up to 2 weeks to watch it's track and make a plan. I'm lucky in the fact that I live 20 miles from the west coast of Florida, so I'm pretty far inland as far as flooding goes. We have a generator (not whole house so we just plug in our fridge 1 hour out of every 4 and keep the door closed).

Thankfully I didn't have chams when Wilma hit, and we've been lucky ever since but I'm not so naive to think that I won't need a plan in the future. If you don't have to evacuate, you can put your chams in their cages on your porch - most people have a screened in lanai, and just do a manual dripping/misting for them.

One thing to remember is that most shelters won't allow pets, so you have to find one that does, or stay with friends/relatives who will let you bring your animals.

I even have one for my cable modem, router, and switch so that in case something happens I can still use my laptop and have internet. I am just sneaky like that.

The cable system has to have a "service" power back up for your node. They typically will run a service truck with a generator to a power supply to restore. If your whole block/area is out of electricity without the above it is useless to back up the modem ;)

The cable system has to have a "service" power back up for your node. They typically will run a service truck with a generator to a power supply to restore. If your whole block/area is out of electricity without the above it is useless to back up the modem ;)

That is only required if you have phone service from the cable company. Yes some of the modems have small batteries, but that battery only lasts for so long. Also you have to have your router and switches all up and running to keep everything up and going. The reason I know of this is because of the huge power outages that Minnesota experienced this year. There were people out of power for over a week.

Still working and have worked for different cable companies across the country for the last 14 years ;) Not all systems (even with phone) support battery back up as stated above they have to have managed power supplies and head ends. Sounds like your local system may have this.

Back
Top Bottom