Hungry Child

matty0470

My little baby veiled is eating like a damn horse 5-6 cricks a day plus other various bugs. Normal? pics coming later tonight

Really

I didnt realize you could actually over feed a cham, I figured they just stored it all in their tails ?

How old is your chameleon? 5 or 6 crickets is not alot! In my opinion, it is not enough!!! How many other bugs plus? At 4 months old I was feeding my chameleon 15-20 1/4 inch crickets a day(recommendations of my very experienced breeder by the way) . When they are small you pretty much let them eat what they can. They are growing rapidly!

Just posted a pic

her/his body is about the length of my thumb so im guessing 2-3 months old, yeah im feeding cricks sm/md/ x5-7 and some squishy ass worms my vet gave me, its like the horn worms. but i gotta order some more types.

As long as the worms are not too big! Doesn't sound like your are overfeeding to me. How big are the crickets you are feeding 1/4 inch?

Carol I have a baby the same size and gave it 12 flightless fruit flys is that over feeding her?

No 12 flightless flies are fine...

Carol I have a baby the same size and gave it 12 flightless fruit flys is that over feeding her?

In fact you can give the fruit flies on top of the regular feeding of Crickets.... As Carol mentioned before you can feed them fairly liberally until they hit around 5 months old and then you want to cut back in quantity but still feed daily ... then of course as Adults you cut back even more, most go to feedings every other day as adults...

But for a young Cham 12 fruit flies is nothing and can be given atop the other items your feeding IMO .

In fact you can give the fruit flies on top of the regular feeding of Crickets.... As Carol mentioned before you can feed them fairly liberally until they hit around 5 months old and then you want to cut back in quantity but still feed daily ... then of course as Adults you cut back even more, most go to feedings every other day as adults...

But for a young Cham 12 fruit flies is nothing and can be given atop the other items your feeding IMO .

I agree with gensen, theres nothing really to fruitflies and they can just keep popping them back. I usually throw a bunch in for my cham to go hunt but she still has her feeder cup with a bunch of dubia nymphs in it, i also give her the occasional butterworm, i ordered the wrong size crickets so im letting them grow a bit before i put more in the cage, dang 1/8" being able to squeeze through the mesh of the cage... haha

As the chams get older you want to cut back on their feeding and start feeding every other day. Yes it is not healthy to over feed when they are adults.

my dude only eat's 5-6 crix a day and that good...and hes only 4 months still growing...and yeah i know when they r older cut back on the feeding..like what u said every other day:D:p;)

my dude only eat's 5-6 crix a day and that good...and hes only 4 months still growing...and yeah i know when they r older cut back on the feeding..like what u said every other day:D:p;)
Is that all he eats, or all you are offering him?. 5-6 is really not much for a 4 month old if that is the case. He should be getting way more!

If your baby is only 4 months you need to up his food. A baby that size should be offered at around 10 crickets a day, in my opinion. You need to let it grow while it is a baby. If the crickets are very small then I think 10 if they are much larger the 5 or 6 mingle be ok, what size are you feeding? You also should be introducing more kinds of feeders. jmo

If your baby is only 4 months you need to up his food. A baby that size should be offered at around 10 crickets a day, in my opinion. You need to let it grow while it is a baby. If the crickets are very small then I think 10 if they are much larger the 5 or 6 mingle be ok, what size are you feeding? You also should be introducing more kinds of feeders. jmo

my bad internet acting up...yeah that all he eats i put one crix at a time soo i like count them..like when i get the the 7th crix its still in there woundering...at that like at 7pm..and i take it out and feed it to my gecko...put today was a different story..he was hunting them down crazy and he finally eat a dubia for the frist time i was happy...:D:rolleyes::p

You can feed your young chameleon as much as it will eat in a couple of minutes each day. Once it gets to be sexually mature I make sure I don't overfeed females to stop or slow reproduction/clutch size.

Back
Top Bottom