Hunger Strike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juliana, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Juliana

Juliana New Member

I have a 6 month old male veiled chameleon name pascal! He use to love eating lots of crickets every day and the occasional wax worm as treats. He then got sick of crickets and would only eat super worms. Now he has stopped eating all together, it’s been a month and a half since I’ve seen him eat anything. I have offered him every type of variety of food possible even vegetables and he’s not having any of it. I took him to an exotic vet and he didn’t do much, he said it looked like I was doing everything right. He was also unsure of why he wasn’t eating. Basking temp is 80-90 degrees, I mist him often I even bought a mist king. I’ve honestly done everything in my power and spent so much time with him trying to figure out what’s wrong and why he’s not eating. Any info is much appreciated thanks!

andrearamirezo91 likes this.
  2. GalaxyGhostly

GalaxyGhostly New Member

Is he still drinking? if so when he opens his mouth to feed put in a verrrryyyy small peice of insect or fruit it might make him want more. please remember i am no professional this is just my advice dont follow it if it dosent look right. Hope pascal gets better!

3. AMdoubleER

AMdoubleER Established Member

I don’t have any advice because I’m kind of having the same issue. Just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one! My guy all of a sudden stopped eating crickets all together as well. He will only eat super worms and sometimes horn worms. I’ve tried multiple ways to get hime back on crickets, but I’ve yet to be successful. I’m now in trial of feeding him roaches for the first time.

4. andrearamirezo91

andrearamirezo91 Avid Member

Have the roaches helped? My boy became very picky too all of a sudden. Haven't given the roaches a try yet (i'm scared lol) but I have been considering ordering some to see what happens. Ultimately, if they're just being picky, I doubt they'll starve themselves to death lol. I've read posts where people recommend just being consistent and patient and that they'll eventually have to give in.

5. JacksJill

JacksJill Chameleon Enthusiast

Are you force feeding him or has he had nothing all this time? Chameleons are lazy and will take time to get back on self feeding.
    If he hasn't had anything in all this last month it's time for a recheck or better a second opinion.
    Is he pooping? Could he be constipated?
    I would recommend filling out the how to ask for help form to get more input.
    https://www.chameleonforums.com/forums/health-clinic.7/

Graves923 likes this.