Hunger Strike?

CamCham78

So my Panther is acting normal, no changes to his routine or environment but he won’t eat. Been 3 days with him not eating. Saturday he ate a few medium/large roaches and had his first wax worm (which he loved). Last few days his roaches and crickets just sit in feeder cup he wants nothing to do with them. So this morning I took out another wax worm and he went crazy walking all over the cage door waiting for the worm. So after he ate one I got another out and he followed me around the cage hoping to get it. So I swapped the worm for a roach and boom I lost his attention. Is he playing me? Trying to get what he wants? He was at vet a week ago and passed with flying colors. Feels like I’m being played here!

This is not unusual. Especially with crickets, chameleons are known to to get bored of them and refuse to eat them over time. Try switching it up with something that might get his attention: black soldier fly larvae, blue bottle flies, hornworms, or silkworms for example. Your guy is basically telling you he wants more variety

Day 4 of not eating. Got some super worms will gut load them tonight and try them tomorrow. Ordered silk worms but won’t have them till next week. This is why I don’t have children!

Just keep changing types you feed him, as mentioned above. Mine has a favorite bug. Canned crickets....its really weird. I tried live at first but she totally ignored them and flipped out if they came closer. She likes the ones that are pre dead apparently. Occasionally she will ignore those too and then I use the trusty old silkworm. Works like a charm.

This is easy fix actually... the problem is waxworms. They are addicting along with superworms. If waxworms are given anymore than a couple of times a month they will refuse other food. Stop feeding him until he eats what you offer, a healthy chameleon will not starve itself.

Back
Top Bottom