HUMIDITY

paulywally

So I just added plants into my chameleons enclosure. Before I added plants I had the humidity dialed in, I had fake plants originally. yesterday I added real plants. I can't seem to get the humidity over 20 now idk what to do. I have a mister that runs every 2 hours for a duration of a minute. I have a fogger running and the fogger seems to be the only thing that can raise the humidity. But it still won't raise the humidity over 20.

Attachments

• 20231225_184501.jpg
    20231225_184501.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 20
I cut a plastic shower curtain to the size of the enclosure and covered 3 sides. Just leave one side open for ventilation. I used tape to attach, but if you do that make sure your Cham can not get to the sticky tape at all. It’s really bad for their skin.

You may also consider misting for 2 minutes instead of 1.

I only run my mister every 6 hours for 3 min at a time. With the shower curtain it works. I also have a dripper in the afternoon

Hmmmm let’s see if some other chime in with some more ideas. I’m sure someone else will be along soon. I only have just under a year experience. But there are tons of experienced keepers here with a wealth of knowledge so you’re in a good place

In europe its pretty common to work with hybrid cages to keep humidity high! I build a hybrid enclosure for my panther aswell. The humidity in The Netherlands can get really low mid summer so you just have to adapt to were you live i guess!

I ordered a screen terra with acrilic door. Its almost exactly the same as the XXL screen terra from reptibreeze except for the acrillic door. The sides and back i covered with uv and water resistent plastic. I cut it to exact size and then used transparent kit to attach it to the screen sides! This way its impossible for humidity to escape from the sides. The front bottom panel is still screen to allow airflow in the enclosure.

After this had rested for a day i began with cutting coco fiber mats to fit the sides and back! Eventually covered one side and the back completely with coco fiber mats. This also helps with keeping humidity and works really great when running a fogger!

You can be really creative with screen cages! Hope it helps 🙏

Attachments

• 20231227_070117.jpg
    20231227_070117.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20231227_070123.jpg
    20231227_070123.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231227_070134.jpg
    20231227_070134.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231227_070156.jpg
    20231227_070156.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 21
You are misting way too frequently during the day. THe cage will not fully dry out and you will have issues of stagnant hot moist air during the day. Veileds daytime humidity can be as low as 30% during the day. At night you want it higher above 70% but only if your temps are below 68. You will never fun a fogger during daytime. This can cause them to develop a respiratory infection.

When you say you have your cage wrapped did you do every side panel? And what exactly are you using to measure your levels?

Additionally can we review your UVB type? The color of the bulb does not look like a T5HO it looks like a T8.

Back
Top Bottom