HUMIDITY

lthrbecks

Established Member
Hi there folks

What's the best way to increase the humidity? I've noticed my cams molting skin hasn't fully shed after four days. Normally it's 24hrs!

Many thanks for any help you can give me on the above matter.

To answer your question:

But it’s also worth noting that as chameleons get older, it takes them longer to shed. I wouldn’t be concerned until it’s been over a week and your cham is still trying to shed. Anything around 40% day time humidity should be totally fine for a veiled chameleon to shed.

60%+ is actually on the higher end for a veiled chameleon. I’d see if you could lower it a bit. How often and how long are you misting for?

I mist around 5 times daily for about 45secs until the water covers everything and is dropping wet! I'm here all day everyday as I'm disabled and don't leave the house. No need for fogging! The wee dripper didn't work unfortunately.

I mist around 5 times daily for about 45secs until the water covers everything and is dropping wet! I'm here all day everyday as I'm disabled and don't leave the house. No need for fogging! The wee dripper didn't work unfortunately.
my veileds enclosure is currently 43% it usually stays around 40-50%. 60% is a tad high. Also because veileds sit in fog all night you should really get one. @PetNcs can agree with me a fogger is BENFICIAL!!! especially for veiled. I mist 2-3 times a day for about a minute. you really need a fogger.

I'm just about to upgrade the vivarium to a 90x45x90 so I'd have room from a fogger if I wanted one. Does it need to be on 24/7. Another thing is the temperature. I rarely use my basking lamp as the heat sits mid 20°C. Some sites say its supposed to be up to 35°C! You wouldn't know what to believe.

I'm just about to upgrade the vivarium to a 90x45x90 so I'd have room from a fogger if I wanted one. Does it need to be on 24/7. Another thing is the temperature. I rarely use my basking lamp as the heat sits mid 20°C. Some sites say its supposed to be up to 35°C! You wouldn't know what to believe.
So using a fogger is quite easy. No, it's not supposed to be on 24/7 because then during the day it would be very humid AND very hot (which equals a respiratory infection.) Its only supposed to be on at night.

For the temps mid 20's is good. nothing over 30. 35 much too high. Also when using a fogger make sure the temp is cooler. anything below 20 is good imo. humidity is relative.

Don't shoot the fog through the screen top because it will pool up and jam the thing. I just have mine wedged between the doors. Since you're buying a glass cage it will fog up very nicely. I just turn on the fogger once it's dark and then in the mornings turn it off if theres anything left inside it.

my fogger is on usually anywhere from 5-10hrs. only at night.

hope this helps

I'd like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.

1. I was supplied with a heat mat for my chameleon. It's on 24/7 and has been since day one, at the end of March.

2. My red eyed tree frogs humidity is 85% usually same temp as chameleon mid 20s. Wonder why it's higher?

3. I've always to buy small grasshoppers as they grow too quickly to feed to the frogs! Is it OK not to feed them everyday to slow down their growth or is that cruel?

4. Hammy, my juvenile chameleon is only eating hoppers and crickets. I've tried him on loads of other food Inc red runner, dubia and Banana Roaches.
Silk, meal, calci & wax worms, snails. Sadly, he's not eating any of them! I've tried numerous times, sadly, to no avail!

I'd like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.

1. I was supplied with a heat mat for my chameleon. It's on 24/7 and has been since day one, at the end of March.

2. My red eyed tree frogs humidity is 85% usually same temp as chameleon mid 20s. Wonder why it's higher?

3. I've always to buy small grasshoppers as they grow too quickly to feed to the frogs! Is it OK not to feed them everyday to slow down their growth or is that cruel?

4. Hammy, my juvenile chameleon is only eating hoppers and crickets. I've tried him on loads of other food Inc red runner, dubia and Banana Roaches.
Silk, meal, calci & wax worms, snails. Sadly, he's not eating any of them! I've tried numerous times, sadly, to no avail!

1. I was supplied with a heat mat for my chameleon. It's on 24/7 and has been since day one, at the end of March. I don't use these so I don't know much about them. I don't think many people use this but i doubt it's doing much harm.

maybe because you mist them longer or maybe its just the plants give off more humidity

3. I've always to buy small grasshoppers as they grow too quickly to feed to the frogs! Is it OK not to feed them everyday to slow down their growth or is that cruel? If you're talking about the frogs, I have no clue. For the chameleons yes you can feed them every day just not too many.

While it is true that variety is better, he will be fine with just hoppers and crickets. Keep trying! once hes an adult he may eat them

Fantastic thanks. I meant not feeding the hoppers to slow down their fast growth! They're very well fed, non stop eaters 24/7! The arrive small for me to feed the wee frogs, but within week or so, they've outgrown their purpose as in feeders for the frogs!

Do the hoppers need to be fed? If/when my dubias don't eat for a few days, they don't seem to grow either. IDK. but perhaps the hoppers can be kept smaller longer by not feeding them (as much) until it's time to gut load them(?)

my veileds enclosure is currently 43% it usually stays around 40-50%. 60% is a tad high. Also because veileds sit in fog all night you should really get one. @PetNcs can agree with me a fogger is BENFICIAL!!! especially for veiled. I mist 2-3 times a day for about a minute. you really need a fogger.
Simulating the natiral
Comditions woth a foggere is evidentky mich better than compemsating the lack of fog with a mechanism
That is very risky and totally unnstural. Elieve or not, it will shorten the life of your chameleons die to many reasons, which I will gladly explain if uou are interested

Well the fogger should be operated ONLY AT NIGHTTIME and at lowest temperatures possible.
this is the second hottest
Month in Yemen where Calyptratus thrive now, can yiu explain me rationale fir recommending 35’C basking? It is and ignorant nonsense. Attached the weather in Ibb this week.
i insist the xare sheet for C. Alyorratis even here in CF is flagrantly wrong, butnthe board decided not ti listen to me, knowing better (not having been in Yemen even once).
So, what you can trust is my recommended care sheet which is nowadays an accepted guideline for about 60.000 prople around the globe, jusf in the US,
There are hesitations, for pride, hate or ego reasons

Attachments

• B073D43E-A48C-4275-82EB-9382D5F9D79B.jpeg
    B073D43E-A48C-4275-82EB-9382D5F9D79B.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 63863985-EC89-42D0-B418-F362C4052938.jpeg
    63863985-EC89-42D0-B418-F362C4052938.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 6F3CC09F-E5A3-4E5F-921F-D095277957A0.jpeg
    6F3CC09F-E5A3-4E5F-921F-D095277957A0.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 51
  • A91B6896-F3C0-4C05-B612-D07FCDCCFA9E.jpeg
    A91B6896-F3C0-4C05-B612-D07FCDCCFA9E.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 47
1. I was supplied with a heat mat for my chameleon. It's on 24/7 and has been since day one, at the end of March. I don't use these so I don't know much about them. I don't think many people use this but i doubt it's doing much harm.
I would expect to increase the nighttime temperatire and this is harmful. Heating matbis for chameleons a big NO.

3. I've always to buy small grasshoppers as they grow too quickly to feed to the frogs! Is it OK not to feed them everyday to slow down their growth or is that cruel? If you're talking about the frogs, I have no clue. For the chameleons yes you can feed them every day just not too many.
I guess rhe question got misunderstood: was it about the growth of grasshoppers?
if so, ues you can feed them leas then they will grow slower
You can also expose them to lower tep and them they will eat less by themselves and grow slower

Back
Top Bottom