Humidity + Heat

PabloTheCham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey! As some of you Cali members can tell, there is a heat wave going on. My issue is the ambient temps are too high, and I don't know how to lower them. Pablo is being pissy and gaping because he's too hot too. I have 88 ambient temp with 50% humidity, and so I tried to have a wet towel in my room to cool down the temps. This caused 84 ambient temp with 70% humidity, and now my room feels like mexico. I can't open my windows, even at night, because of the fires. So anyone know how I could lower the temps and humidity to make it bearable for me and Pablo again?
Now this leads me to my next question. The fires are not getting better any time soon, and it is going to be hot for a while. Hot temps + 80%-90% high humidity at night + no windows open since 2 weeks = RI? For those of you in FL is the high temps and high humidity causing RIs? I'm also thinking for me personally having my cham in my room and fogging will make my room too humid, even though 2 sides of the enclosure have curtains. But having curtains reduces airflow and combined with the heat is also cause for RIs?

What I'm trying to say is, how do you guys lower temps and humidity at the same time, since for me it is either low temps and high humidity or low humidity and high temps? Also is the high temps and high humidity at night a problem for my cham? I'm kinda stuck.

I honestly don’t know. It’s often attributed to warm, humid, stagnant air. For example, years back when folks were keeping Chams in standard fish tanks, but not giving much air circulation RI’s were a common problem I think. Better airflow may help this some

What I'm trying to say is, how do you guys lower temps and humidity at the same time, since for me it is either low temps and high humidity or low humidity and high temps?
That's how it (RH) works. Higher air temps lower RH, and lower temps raise RH.

Lowering both is going to need some help, usually in the form of AC & Dehumidifier.
A small (not necessarily "window") AC unit doesn't have to break the bank. For example:
Portable Air Conditioners
small dehumidifiers

There are lots more—poke around. :)

Also is the high temps and high humidity at night a problem for my cham? I'm kinda stuck.
Assuming this is a temporary situation, it shouldn't be a problem. At the very least (as DocZ and MissSkittles mentioned), try to keep the air moving; not a cyclone—a gentle tropical breeze, like an oscillating fan. ;)

See also: evaporative cooling

Back
Top Bottom