Humidity and temp for Cham

Hi, just curious what is the desired humidity and temp for a Veiled Cham?thanks much.chammy007

The best ambient temperature for veiled chameleons during the day is room temperature, between 72 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. By placing the heat bulb approximately 6 to 8 inches above a perch inside the enclosure, a basking spot of approximately 85 to 95 degrees should be achieved allowing for thermoregulation its important to have several various basking distances from the basking light providing multiple temps and angles for your cham to find that sweet spot or perfect temp for them to maintain optimum body temperature. A 10 to 15 degrees drop at night is beneficial slowing thier metabolism and allowing for proper digestion and maintaining a healthy weight. Theres a ton of info online and here in these forums about extreme temps that you should look into. Do your eyes hurt yet? Lol I know mine do

Hi, just curious what is the desired humidity and temp for a Veiled Cham?thanks much.chammy007

Humidity for veiled chameleons is alot less than most other chameleon species as they thrive in arid to moderate humidity levels. As low as 40-50% to 80% I mist heavy 1 hr after first light then let all leaves branches and top layer of soil to dry about 4-6 hrs then I mist litely allow to dry and mist once more 3 hrs before lights out to give time for drying once more before temps drop. I also run humidfiers while shedding. And use a constant drip system all day so even when it's dry there's always a drop of water ready for them. 50% humidity should be your base with spikes upwards of 80 while and after misting but drying completely is very important between mists so sometimes I ease up alittle and other times I let it rain hard depending on my chams behavior.

Last edited:
Hey, I live in the northwest and winter is here a little early. We got our second snow of the season recently. My humidity monitor says 40% for humidity and temp is at 68. If I were to go with a Veiled Cham what would you suggest for the desired humidity and temp?thanks much.chammy007

Hey, I live in the northwest and winter is here a little early. We got our second snow of the season recently. My humidity monitor says 40% for humidity and temp is at 68. If I were to go with a Veiled Cham what would you suggest for the desired humidity and temp?thanks much.chammy007
Humidity for any Chameleon can fluctuate over the course of the day, just like in nature. What a lot of people have been shooting for is very high humidity at night (90%+) and slowly decreasing humidity during the day, down to 40-50% for veileds. This is what happens in the wild. This can easily be achieved by simply using an ultrasonic humidifier (fogger) after lights out, then stoping it just before lights on. A timer will work.

Veileds do great with a nightime temp drop into the 60’s, so no problem there. Daytime ambients can be 70 - 78 (depending where you measure in the cage...cooler at the bottom, slowly increasing towards the top). An excellent highest temp to shoot for, just at or above the basking site is ~85.

Sorry. Didn’t mean to ask the same question. I get loopy sometimes I meant to say which enclosure should I go with?screen,glass,or other with the current temp and humidity? 40% humidity and 68 temp?thanks much.chammy007

I always recommend screen enclosures. More versatile you can cover screen panels and uncover to achieve heat and humidity goals and when it warms up next summer you can strip it of all cover and let it breath. There's not much you can do to create more air flow in a glass cage short of running an air line thru it. Plus despite how beautiful they are chams hate to look at themselves in the mirror so any reflections in the glass can actually lead to death via high stress.

Back
Top Bottom