Humidity and moisture collection issues

Hi there, I’m a brand new member. I took on too abandoned veiled chameleons in the last year. I’m new at it but doing great I think. Except I just upgraded my biggest one to a 4’x2’x2’ screen tank. I added a humidifier to the screen tank because it’s so hard to keep humidity up without it. However there’s soooo much water at the bottom collecting and soaking the reptibark I have at the bottom. But I have read many different things on line about how high the humidity should be during the night and day. Could some one tell me what I should ideally have in this tank for this type of chameleon? Please be nice. I am very new and will do my absolute best to nail this. I like them but when I got them basically handed to me I knew nothing. They both seem happy and healthy and let me hold them and eat great and shed well and I see that drink from the plants I spray.

I put holes in the bottom of my cage with a hot water heating pan to create drainage . Start looking at drainage videos and pictures; it may help with keeping your bottom from collecting so much moisture . It's way cleaner for me
A6371FA8-2795-4330-96B1-00D1F0BC668C.jpeg
82C98210-8F02-45D8-93CC-5D9219C78AE7.jpeg

Hi there, I’m a brand new member. I took on too abandoned veiled chameleons in the last year. I’m new at it but doing great I think. Except I just upgraded my biggest one to a 4’x2’x2’ screen tank. I added a humidifier to the screen tank because it’s so hard to keep humidity up without it. However there’s soooo much water at the bottom collecting and soaking the reptibark I have at the bottom. But I have read many different things on line about how high the humidity should be during the night and day. Could some one tell me what I should ideally have in this tank for this type of chameleon? Please be nice. I am very new and will do my absolute best to nail this. I like them but when I got them basically handed to me I knew nothing. They both seem happy and healthy and let me hold them and eat great and shed well and I see that drink from the plants I spray.
Welcome on here! Is the humidifier cool-mist or warm-mist and what time of day does it run? Is your cage bioactive or is the ReptiBark the only thing in the bottom? Have you noticed if your veiled tries to eat the bark? A veiled's humidity levels need to be 30-50% during the day (preferably on the lower end of that range) and can go up to 100% at night (but only if there is enough airflow, and it is at or lower than 65*F). If you want us to review your husbandry, just fill out this form in as much detail as possible (including pics of the cham, their entire cage, and their lights)! Also, here is a great inspirational thread for drainage ideas! https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/drainage-systems-for-cages-get-creative.102038/

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

You said..."Hi there, I’m a brand new member"...welcome to the forum!

You said..." I took on too abandoned veiled chameleons in the last year. I’m new at it but doing great I think. Except I just upgraded my biggest one to a 4’x2’x2’ screen tank"...so you keep the two in the same cage? That can cause stress for them.
So nice of you to take them on and care enough to be sure you're doing it right!

You said..."I like them but when I got them basically handed to me I knew nothing. They both seem happy and healthy and let me hold them and eat great and shed well and I see that drink from the plants I spray"... How old are they? Do you know about them laying eggs even though they aren't mated?

Can you post some photos of them and your setup please?

If you answer the questions in the post by @ERKleRose we can check on the rest of your husbandry.

Back
Top Bottom