Humidifier doing anything? Should I get a bigger one

I got this from Home Depot it says it did a medium size room and cost $50 but I keep a hydrometer on the top of the screen cage and it went from 30 to 38%. Should I go get the big one for $100 that supposed to do 2000 square ft. ?

Attachments

• 2793F9C0-C76C-4543-90F9-D28077837B59.jpeg
    2793F9C0-C76C-4543-90F9-D28077837B59.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 404FAD4C-5D90-4FDF-8AC4-FF97B2B866F2.jpeg
    404FAD4C-5D90-4FDF-8AC4-FF97B2B866F2.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 42
  • B20D11D9-FCAD-48C4-A2F7-5734653AC7F7.jpeg
    B20D11D9-FCAD-48C4-A2F7-5734653AC7F7.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 39
I would say to get lots of live plants to boost/maintain humidity as well as provide more stimulation and natural environment for your chameleon. Adding a large center plant such as schefflera with vining plants around like pothos will add so much.
I did this once with a Fiscus tree and had a lot of fruit flies or nats. Also it died :(

I did this once with a Fiscus tree and had a lot of fruit flies or nats. Also it died :(
Repotting the plant as soon as you bring it home helps with the gnats. The soil it comes in from the store is definitely filled with eggs. Also, a good plant grow light is needed to ensure longevity for a lot of plants. However, I do not have a grow light (yet) but my 2 pothos don't seem to mind at all.

Miss Skittles is right you need a lot more plants in there . and if you’re not getting 40 to 60% humidity during the day and over 80 at night your chameleons is not happy . If you can’t trap the humidity inside the cage you’ll have to bring the room up to that .. where I live in California we have very low humidity . I use hybrid cages . When the temperatures are low at night I can bring the humidity up by closing off the entire habitat . Then I open up the doors during the day and the plants help regulate A steady 50 to 60% .. I use ficus as my main main plant never had a NAT issue. and of course plant lights such as jungle Dawn . they thin out a little but still maintain plant growth.. here’s an example of a well planted enclosure

Attachments

• 1AA97D61-03E4-44AC-BA0D-D1B4836401BA.jpeg
    1AA97D61-03E4-44AC-BA0D-D1B4836401BA.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Miss Skittles is right you need a lot more plants in there . and if you’re not getting 40 to 60% humidity during the day and over 80 at night your chameleons is not happy . If you can’t trap the humidity inside the cage you’ll have to bring the room up to that .. where I live in California we have very low humidity . I use hybrid cages . When the temperatures are low at night I can bring the humidity up by closing off the entire habitat . Then I open up the doors during the day and the plants help regulate A steady 50 to 60% .. I use ficus as my main main plant never had a NAT issue. and of course plant lights such as jungle Dawn . they thin out a little but still maintain plant growth.. here’s an example of a well planted enclosure
Wow that’s a really nice set up. I just am going to be moving out of this house to another one in the next couple of months so I didn’t want to do all that to the cage just yet. Maybe I will just buy a couple of basic plants and stick them on that bare side of the cage for now

Live plants are your missing component. You may need to add solid side panels to the back and the two sides as well. Most of us fog into a cage at night rather than having one run in the room. It is easier this way. I would not get a larger unit. You do not want to deal with mold or damage to the room because your pumping so much humidity into it.

Plants really are the big hitter when it comes to increasing natural humidity. They are also better for the cham providing hiding places and temp/humidity gradients in a cage.

Wow that’s a really nice set up. I just am going to be moving out of this house to another one in the next couple of months so I didn’t want to do all that to the cage just yet. Maybe I will just buy a couple of basic plants and stick them on that bare side of the cage for now
That’ll help tremendously , plants are easy to move , temporarily you could put some saran wrap or shower curtains on the sides , and direct the humidity into the enclosure .. thanks for the compliment 🙏

Live plants are your missing component. You may need to add solid side panels to the back and the two sides as well. Most of us fog into a cage at night rather than having one run in the room. It is easier this way. I would not get a larger unit. You do not want to deal with mold or damage to the room because your pumping so much humidity into it.

Plants really are the big hitter when it comes to increasing natural humidity. They are also better for the cham providing hiding places and temp/humidity gradients in a cage.

Very very nice Beman 🥰

I’ve always had a hard time with hibiscus indoors , but the ones in my exterior enclosures are thriving .. very clean set up !!!

I’ve always had a hard time with hibiscus indoors , but the ones in my exterior enclosures are thriving .. very clean set up !!!
Yeah they started growing like crazy once I added the jungle dawn bar. They do bud and attempt to bloom but Beman eats the buds before they have a chance to bloom. 😭

Yeah they started growing like crazy once I added the jungle dawn bar. They do bud and attempt to bloom but Beman eats the buds before they have a chance to bloom. 😭
I noticed he eats the bits of dead branches off that tree I bought from the pet store this morning. I don’t know what type of tree it is? Is it normal? It’s a real tree u can see from the photos but I’m not sure what type it is

I noticed he eats the bits of dead branches off that tree I bought from the pet store this morning. I don’t know what type of tree it is? Is it normal? It’s a real tree u can see from the photos but I’m not sure what type it is
In my experience it is pretty rare to see a veiled eat branches. What supplements are you using and in what rotation? What this does tell us is having anything fake in there is dangerous because if he manages to get a silk leaf off that will cause an impaction. And you really want to go ahead and add a few taller plants. See the image below and choose veiled tested.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 11.41.38 AM.png

In my experience it is pretty rare to see a veiled eat branches. What supplements are you using and in what rotation? What this does tell us is having anything fake in there is dangerous because if he manages to get a silk leaf off that will cause an impaction. And you really want to go ahead and add a few taller plants. See the image below and choose veiled tested.

View attachment 330615
He was a panther chameleon chameleon but I am on the way to buy some plants so just your calcium light dusting at every feeding and d3 with calciu once every couple week. Multivitamin once every couple weeks. Brand is all the same reptispmething. The one u see at all the pet stores

I would say to get lots of live plants to boost/maintain humidity as well as provide more stimulation and natural environment for your chameleon. Adding a large center plant such as schefflera with vining plants around like pothos will add so much.
💯

He was a panther chameleon chameleon but I am on the way to buy some plants so just your calcium light dusting at every feeding and d3 with calciu once every couple week. Multivitamin once every couple weeks. Brand is all the same reptispmething. The one u see at all the pet stores
ok gotcha you have a pic of a veiled so sorry I messed that up. Panthers have been known to bite their branches and sometimes eat dried leaves.
If you could take a pic of the front of your supplements that would help me know exactly what your using. The rotation if it is what I think it is should be calcium without D3 at all feedings except when you rotate week to week at one feeding between the calcium with D3 and the multivitamin. So that the calcium with D3 and multivitamin are only given 2 times a month each.

ok gotcha you have a pic of a veiled so sorry I messed that up. Panthers have been known to bite their branches and sometimes eat dried leaves.
If you could take a pic of the front of your supplements that would help me know exactly what your using. The rotation if it is what I think it is should be calcium without D3 at all feedings except when you rotate week to week at one feeding between the calcium with D3 and the multivitamin. So that the calcium with D3 and multivitamin are only given 2 times a month each.
I got some live plants. A fiscus and 2 parrot trees which I was told were nontoxic, These are the supplements. There’s no vitamin a in the multivitamin from what I noticed but.

Attachments

• 086C999C-C3E5-4085-9348-695AD74D6AE6.jpeg
    086C999C-C3E5-4085-9348-695AD74D6AE6.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 49B552CA-C6DC-41C9-9508-61B0338780C9.jpeg
    49B552CA-C6DC-41C9-9508-61B0338780C9.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 34
I got some live plants. A fiscus and 2 parrot trees which I was told were nontoxic, These are the supplements. There’s no vitamin a in the multivitamin from what I noticed but.
So with these ones you can actually overdose on D3 with due to the multivitamin containing it as well. The multivitamin does not have vitamin A but instead beta carotene. It has not been proven that they can convert beta carotene to vitamin A. So this is where you would need to watch the cham for issues targeting food. If it shows any a switch in multivitamin would be needed.

With these three you need to stop using the calcium with D3. You would use the plain calcium at all feedings and then the multivitamin 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th.

Back
Top Bottom