huge hornworm?!?!

chowser

hello all,

i bought some hornworms for banito at the expo this weekend and one is HUGE i dont know if i want to even try to feed it to him. just wondering what is the largest hornworm someone has given the cham. i know the "only the size between their eyes rule" but some of the hornmorms he has eaten some med ones with no problem.

just thought i would ask

thanks
chris

How old is your guy? My older juvie to adult panther males will work down the full-grown hornworms without much ado. In my opinion, since hornworms are mostly water you can get away with going a little bigger than you would with something else, since they're so easily chewed and compacted. Mine love the huge moths that they turn into, as well.

I don't know how big your guy is so I can't say anything for certain, but unless you have a small chameleon they usually do fine. And if not, in my experience, they will just spit it out after a little chewing if they don't think they can handle it.

Soft bodied silk worms and hornworms don't pose the problem that hard bodied insect do so the space between the eyes rule can be tossed. I have fed very large hornworms and silkworms to my ADULT panthers - male and female - with no issues whatsoever.

If in doubt then just let the hornworms cocoon and let them make little hornworms. That way they won't go to waste.

thanks everyone, my guy is coming up on one year... i thought i will be going the safe route and let these guys cocoon.

thanks again!

Hi! Im a new cham mommy...I have purchased crickets, meal worms & super worms. I am going to purchase some small (hopefully) horn worms tonight. My question is (and it may be a silly one)...what happens if my cham wont eat them once they get to big? Any suggestions as to what to do with them?

Hi! Im a new cham mommy...I have purchased crickets, meal worms & super worms. I am going to purchase some small (hopefully) horn worms tonight. My question is (and it may be a silly one)...what happens if my cham wont eat them once they get to big? Any suggestions as to what to do with them?
You can let them turn in to moths

As @JoXie411 said, let them turn into moths and feed the moths. They love them!

hello all,

i bought some hornworms for banito at the expo this weekend and one is HUGE i dont know if i want to even try to feed it to him. just wondering what is the largest hornworm someone has given the cham. i know the "only the size between their eyes rule" but some of the hornmorms he has eaten some med ones with no problem.

just thought i would ask

thanks
chris

Hornworms are 80% moisture and are soft-bodied. They pose minimal risk of choking in my opinion, if any. I feed our vailed full grown hornworms and he has no problems chowing it down. Use common sense, but remember they also have some sense in sizing up the pray. Again, it all depends on the age of the animal.

Hornworms are one of my favorite feeders. Great way to keep them hydrated and they are high in calcium and protein, while relatively low in fat.

Do not feed your chameleon mealworms they can cause impaction

Yes, please do away with the mealworms... No bueno for bowl movements in chams :)

Back
Top Bottom