How's this poo look?

My buddy was a touch dehydrated about a week ago and I think it's because he hasn't learned to drink well yet. I started gently spraying his mouth with a tiny stream of water twice a day for the past 3 days and i think he's doing better. This poo was from today and was accompanied by a good amount of clear watery egg white fluid around the urate that fell off the leaf before I could catch it. What do y'all think?
20200719_101407.jpg

Not dehydrated... but the fecal looks a bit gross... Have you gotten a fecal test done to ensure he does not have parasites?

When you say a touch dehydrated what do you mean. It is also normal for the urate to have some orange and yellow to it. Your not trying for 100% white. They are still hydrated when it has a bit of yellow or orange.

Please be careful about misting straight into his mouth. Their airway is at the front of their mouth and they can aspirate water when you spray in his mouth. If he is new to you then make sure you are misting the enclosure and all the plants. It can take them a few minutes for the misting to trigger a drinking response and most chams are quite private about drinking.

This pic here was his dropping from 3 days ago, but one I found about a week ago and unfortunately didn't take a picture. The urate was all orange, like the color of a creamsicle. When I spray, I make sure to aim for the back corner of his mouth so it doesnt get in his nostrils. I basically just do enough that it beads up, then I wait a few seconds for him to lick his chops, then another little spray and so on. If you think I should just continue misting and assume he's just drinking in private, I definitely will. I was just worried when I saw the orange. He has an appointment this Wednesday for a check up and fecal, so we'll know soon what, if anything, is lurking in his bowels? I told my husband he's such a little weirdo bc he wont drink in front of me and for the first week or two wouldn't eat in front of me, but is NOT a shy pooper. He has no problem dropping a deuce for all to see?
Screenshot_20200719-115104_Video Player.jpg

Many are shy drinkers. Of 3 chameleons and having one for a year now, I have only ONCE seen one of them take a half lap at a water drop. Before I invested in a Mist King, I would spray generously all of the leaves for about 2+ minutes and then leave to allow for the private drinking.

Yeah so I would not get in the habit of having him drink that way. I would continue misting the whole cage and all the plants. Like @MissSkittles said some can be very shy drinkers. I have one that would drink in front of me and has never cared and another that I rarely see drinking but he only does when he thinks no one is looking at him.
Can you post a pic of the entire cage for me please.

I am glad you already have an appointment for a fecal. That one looks off too. Make sure you take in a fresh one no older then 24 hours in a plastic baggy for them to test.

Yeah so I would not get in the habit of having him drink that way. I would continue misting the whole cage and all the plants. Like @MissSkittles said some can be very shy drinkers. I have one that would drink in front of me and has never cared and another that I rarely see drinking but he only does when he thinks no one is looking at him.
Can you post a pic of the entire cage for me please.

I am glad you already have an appointment for a fecal. That one looks off too. Make sure you take in a fresh one no older then 24 hours in a plastic baggy for them to test.
15951759395141873483589899265343.jpg

The vine at the very top looks close to his basking light but it's not, it's against the side of the screen, around the perimeter.

View attachment 272541
The vine at the very top looks close to his basking light but it's not, it's against the side of the screen, around the perimeter.
Do you have anything on that back panel to avoid misting your electrical? So when we mist their enclosures we are doing so for about 2 minutes to spray the plants down thoroughly.

Another thing to note is if he was used to an automatic misting system... If whomever had him prior utilized this method he is used to being able to drink without having anyone standing there.

Back
Top Bottom