How to support a branch in the enclosure

chriscalvert

Ive got like a 3 and a half foot, 4 inch diameter branch that i want to put in the enclosure. But being made out of the aluminum screen, it cant really support a branch that large nor would it be tall enough to be really of any use. Is there a good way to support it? I was thinking of making some sort of base for it but not really sure how I would go about it. any ideas? cage is 24x24x48

if you are trying to make a base so that it can sit on the floor of your cage, you could take a piece of plywood and put a screw through the plywood into the branch. if you need more weight on the base you could place a few flat rocks on the plywood, (also covers the ugly wood)

I used thumbtacks to secure the branches, I just tacked them through the screen int he aluminum. It provides a nice and steady support too. You can also try zip ties, twist ties, I think I read folks even trying hot glue.

I used thumbtacks to secure the branches, I just tacked them through the screen int he aluminum. It provides a nice and steady support too. You can also try zip ties, twist ties, I think I read folks even trying hot glue.

I dont think a thumbtac or hot glue or twist tie would support a branch of that siz. Zip ties are very strong so u may be onto somethin there. I like to use fishing line. Virtually invisible. And can be very strong

Ive got like a 3 and a half foot, 4 inch diameter branch that i want to put in the enclosure. But being made out of the aluminum screen, it cant really support a branch that large nor would it be tall enough to be really of any use. Is there a good way to support it? I was thinking of making some sort of base for it but not really sure how I would go about it. any ideas? cage is 24x24x48

What ive done with my larger branches is attach them to the base of my plants and have them going up and resting on another plant, and secured with cable ties

all thread on a cross beam

I have been able to attach large pieces of sandblasted grapevine like the picture shows. You could have a similar setup by laying a 1x2 across the top of your screen cage and using thinner all thread. I have attached smaller branches that way on my all screen cages. It would definitely support the weight of a large branch.

Last edited:
I have been able to attach large pieces of sandblasted grapevine like the picture shows. You could have a similar setup by laying a 1x2 across the top of your screen cage and using thinner all thread. I have attached smaller branches that way on my all screen cages. It would definitely support the weight of a large branch.

How's the grapevine branch working out for you? I bought 2 huge pieces but was afraid there might be a mold/ bacteria issue so I didn't put them into my guys cage.

Another idea (if you can follow it, might be kinda hard to describe)... I secured my Exo Terra vines by wrapping fishing line around them & securing them at the corners side edges of the cage frame. I wrapped the fishing line around the vine then brought the fishing line from the inside of the cage to the outside at the side edges of the cage frame. I did NOT go through the screen itself (so it wouldn't pull down & damage the screen) & secured them by unscrewing the screws that hold the frame of the cage together, then I wrapping the fishing line around the screws & screwed them back tightly to the frame. So his cage frame is holding the vines up & cage screen is not affected by the weight. To do this with a branch you would probably have to put a hole through the branch & put fishing line through it then secure to frame edges. Fishing line can hold a lot of weight, it worked out really well for me. If your totally lost & I fail to describe or it just sucks then disregard :p I tried...
Long story short... maybe use fishing line :D

How's the grapevine branch working out for you? I bought 2 huge pieces but was afraid there might be a mold/ bacteria issue so I didn't put them into my guys cage.

I've had them in there for over a year and have never had mold growing on them. I dont let the dripper run over them and the cage dries out between mistings.

if your worried about mold put it in a hot tub of water will a little bleach, then let it air dry for a bit then put it in the oven at like 300 degrees for 30 minutes and you should have a sterile stick...

I have a quick question, after reading this post I'm curious if grapevine like this would work in an enclosure?

See Here

I don't see why not - but you'd have to watch for mould and stuff. I have loads of different things in my chams cage to try and simulate a natural environment - different width and texture branches etc.

Thanks Amanda! I just thought with it being so inexpensive it might be worth a shot. Do you do anything to yours before hand other then washing it?

I wash my branches with bleach and then let them sun dry for a couple of months or more...my two cents contribution...

I have screen cages, but I haven't used real branches (yet) but I have used trimmed plant stakes (the green plastic ones). I put hot glue on the ends and tacks on the outside of the cage to secure them.

I haven't put real branches in there yet, though I do have a few tree clippings drying in the backyard that I'm thinking about putting in sometime soon. Any other tips?

Back
Top Bottom