How to store dubias?

lily2521

Dubias are new feeders for me, I was able to find a local reptile shop that sells them.

But...how to store them is my question? If I put them in a standard cricket keeper (I'm only going to keep about a dozen on hand at any given time for now) can they get out? Can they climb the walls of a small keeper?

I have this fear/squeamish thing going on that they'll get out, so I want to know the best way to store them.

I have breeding colony of them, so I keep them in a rubbermaid tote on heat tape. I don't believe they can climb up plastic, I've never seen one do it. The full grown males have wings, but I've never seen one fly or glide. I've read posts here that say they can, though. I keep a screened lid on mine, because it's my worst nightmare to have that bin tip over. LOL They creep me out, too.
I think, as long as you have a lid, and the paper towel rolls/toilet paper rolls/egg crate aren't tall enough to reach the lid you'll be fine.

They are truly terrible climbers on any smooth surface. I have a colony started and 200-300 feed ready dubias. I had been getting them shipped but cold weather forced me to source them from a craigslist ad, turns out the breeder was close to me here in RI. I feed 12 a day to my veiled changing it up with crickets and super worms. I hope to be getting some silkworms at the New England reptile show in a few weeks. Good luck with your dubias. They are, in my opinion, a better staple feeder than crickets.

As far as storage goes I have storage containers for my dubias and you can even use packing tape as a smooth surface at the top of your container to insure no escapees.

I keep mine in a large Rubbermaid with a hole cut in the lid. I don't heat mine because they breed like mad without the heat in my place lol...They cant climb well at all.

Back
Top Bottom