How To Sex Baby Panthers

Kent67

Retired Moderator
The topic comes up all the time so I figured it was about time to have a thread that can be linked to. Panthers can be easily sexed fresh out of the egg based on the taper of the tail base. Trying to guess sex based on color can work but is not as reliable. In my experience, some females' tails will become thicker around 2 to maybe 4 months old and this method becomes a little less easy to compare but when they're small it is very accurate.

Baby males are not sexually mature and thus do not have a hemipenal bulge. They do, however, have a space for the hemipenes to develop into. When viewed from the side, with the tail held straight back, the profile from the tail across the vent to the belly is almost a straight line in males. Here are pics of two males:

1 hour old:

male.jpg

1 week old:

male2.jpg

The tail base of females has the same shape in babies as adults. It is more thin which makes the profile seem like there's an indention just before the vent.

female.jpg

Very helpful post, I have been practicing on other people's pics and have been able to notice the male portion, but I didn't think about looking for females with that little indention before the vent.

THe "Kent-Vent" method works extremely well! :) It often helps, especially on tiny babies, to take a picture of them from the side tail out instead of trying to guage with your eye. It worked on all of my baby Panthers (except for one that turned out to be male instead of female!).
Here are some more pics...
Male
DSCN4617.jpg

DSCN5148.jpg

DSCN5152.jpg

Female...
DSCN4615.jpg

Look at all the color-this is a female!
DSCN5023.jpg

DSCN5223.jpg

DSCN5380.jpg

DSCN5508.jpg

So going by this, would you agree this one is a female? I think I see what you are saying but I'm still not 100% sure. It is probably like seahorses, once you see it it is very obvious.

kent or whoever is good at this. can you tell me what my new baby is? im really hoping a baby boy is what i just brought home.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• DSCF2480.jpg
    DSCF2480.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 2,300
  • DSCF2481.jpg
    DSCF2481.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 2,536
  • DSCF2482.jpg
    DSCF2482.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 1,474
female, it looks like my little girl when i got her. It would be a male if the base of the tail was thicker

Would you say male or female on this little one? I'm really hoping its a male and that's what I was told but I just cant tell. It is just over 3 months old

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,053
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,086
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 2,053
  • Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,954
It just doesn't make sense to me.. I took it back over to Mike's so we could compare it to the one we thought was a female and mine was twice the size already in only about a month so we were sure it was a male. The both came from the same clutch

It just doesn't make sense to me.. I took it back over to Mike's so we could compare it to the one we thought was a female and mine was twice the size already in only about a month so we were sure it was a male. The both came from the same clutch

size doenst help in gender that young....consider when each egg was hatched...some eggs hatch days later from early brothers and sisters from teh same clutch and some just grow faster or slower than others, its natural...you have a nice big healthy and beautiful looking girl:)

Guess I need to start looking for a male instead of a female now.. So bummed right now because the sire had such great colors imo

Back
Top Bottom