How to recapture all escaped crickets!

Mike Fisher

Established Member
I've never seen a post to cover this so here goes..... So you have a few escapees, or a whole bunch, it doesn't matter, here's what you do:

Plug in a section of 12" X 12" heat tape and place it somewhere on the floor. Get some new full size egg flats and stack a few place them on top of the heat tape. Check them a few times daily, especially in the morning and shake the crickets back into your bin, or if you are worried about feeding your chams escapees because they could have gotten into roach poison or something, throw them away. Just keep doing that until you don't have any more to capture.

I keep mine setup full time and I never have them roaming the house anymore. They will always seek out the warm egg flats. Maybe because it is how they were raised at the farm and it reminds them of home, lol.

Good luck everybody.:cool:

escapees

your idea is great...but for some reason the crickets LOVE my metal dog food bowls. If I put them on the floor, OR leave them on the counter...there are always crickets in them the next day that cant jump out. Makes absolutely no sense

your idea is great...but for some reason the crickets LOVE my metal dog food bowls. If I put them on the floor, OR leave them on the counter...there are always crickets in them the next day that cant jump out. Makes absolutely no sense

Makes perfect sense. They are going for the protein residue in the bowl.

I transfer my crickets into a smaller container outside. I always seem to have alot of escapees. Now have two lizards that hover at a safe distance and then enjoy the feast when I leave.

Consider glue pads as well. Used for trapping mice or other small pests, I have used them successfully placed in corners or under cage areas. With over 30 breeders we get more than a few escaped crickets - the pads won't get 'em all but they fill up fast! I don't like the idea of reusing escaped crickets.

I ALWAYS have escapees and I do usually let the cat get them. She enjoys chasing them around. Occasionally I can recapture some of them right away but not always. My son just told me that he caught 8 or 9 the other day. I believe according to Chinese myths it is good luck to have a cricket in the house. I should be winning the powerball lottery any minute!

This does work perfectly. Even without heat tape you will capture a few in the crates again.

I've always thought it was weird how much they like those crates. That and the waterbed I used to sleep in. I like the sound of crickets at night, but not right by my ear. And they do bite sleeping humans.

HAHA this makes so much sense and just made me realize why we always have some many crickets on our tile floors.. WE HAVE RADIANT HEAT! AHH silly us! :D Great post!

Back
Top Bottom