How to lose 500 BSF in one simple step

So I had this great idea of putting 500 bsf larvae in this cricket pen container, hoping that as they pupate and become flies I could feed them off. About two weeks passed and didn't see any flies there yet, which seemed odd, so opened it to find out that almost all 500 became flies and escaped. I thought the gaps on the lid would be small enough to contain them, I was wrong. At least I wasn't dumb enough to have it inside my apartment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.49.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.49.14 PM.png
    899.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
So I had this great idea of putting 500 bsf larvae in this cricket pen container, with the hopes that as they pupate and become flies I could feed them off. About two weeks passed and didn't see any flies there yet, which seemed odd, so opened it to find that almost all 500 became flies and escaped. I thought the gaps on the lid would be small enough to contain them, I was wrong. At least I wasn't dumb enough to have it inside my apartment.

This really cracked me up.

Oh my gosh this was soooo funny and totally something I would do. I would not have thought about the fact that they could get through the slats.

I wouldnt be surprised if it is the larva escaping and not the flies. Those guys can really climb and are fast. When raising BSFL breeders will let them “self harvest” where the grubs crawl up a little ledge and out of their containers when they are ready to pupate.

I stopped using those cricket keepers for the gap reason! I had found the small crickets escaping through those cracks, so I decided to make my own out of a bin and some aluminum screen. Brought the crickets smell down and had not escapes

I stopped using those cricket keepers for the gap reason! I had found the small crickets escaping through those cracks, so I decided to make my own out of a bin and some aluminum screen. Brought the crickets smell down and had not escapes
I live in California and I keep my superworms in my keep. Well one night we had an earthquake like we always do and I had superworms all over my floor. I don’t keep my feeders on shelves anymore

I live in California and I keep my superworms in my keep. Well one night we had an earthquake like we always do and I had superworms all over my floor. I don’t keep my feeders on shelves anymore

Yikes that sounds like a nightmare of a clean up!

We've all been there. I had my mom feed my chameleons when she was visiting. She did great, but didn't put the superworms back on the shelf correctly and they fell on the floor. I found them the next morning - I have no clue how many escaped, but we spent quite awhile finding escapees! :LOL:

My cricket keeper turned over in the back seat of my car today. My 5 year old started screaming in the back seat as they started pouring out ALL OVER THE PLACE! Not looking forward to the next couple of days on the way to work. I hope they die soon!
OHHHHHH soooooooo sucks! My daughter would have jumped from the car! :hilarious:

My cricket keeper turned over in the back seat of my car today. My 5 year old started screaming in the back seat as they started pouring out ALL OVER THE PLACE! Not looking forward to the next couple of days on the way to work. I hope they die soon!
I would have jumped out the window! Nope really hard on that one

Back
Top Bottom