How to know the age of a chameleon?

Perla Adams

Hello:

Five weeks ago, I bought a Veiled Chameleon. In the Pet Shop they told me that the chameleon was 4 months old, but they also give me so many wrong information that I cannot trust them anymore.

The chameleon measures about 4 inches long without the tail, but he is very thin, especially in his extremities.

Is there any chart about measure/weight to try to identify his age?

Thank you

All chameleons grow at different rates, I have seen a few clutches thy have 1-2 chameleons that look like they are a month or so older than the siblings. Generally you can count on the fact that when you purchase a Cham they will be 3-4 months old. The only time you will find one younger is a breeder selling to another breeder or someone they know is capable of caring for a young Cham. If you post a picture we can help you with the age and well as sex. Post a picture of their feet and a picture of their full body

Hello:

Here is a picture of our chameleon. I believe it is a boy, because the little protuberances in his rear feet.

It is hard to take a good picture because he walks all the time.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00630-2s.jpg
    DSC00630-2s.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 138
Olivia, what we see may be very different from what is seen or done in other countries around to world. Please be aware that offering the same help to someone in Saudi Arabia, as you would in the US, may not be what is needed. We have no idea of selling practices in that country. Or of the challenges of keeping a cham there. Thanks.

I have also seen very, very, young chams sold at shows to people who have no idea what they are doing with the cham.

All chameleons grow at different rates, I have seen a few clutches thy have 1-2 chameleons that look like they are a month or so older than the siblings. Generally you can count on the fact that when you purchase a Cham they will be 3-4 months old. The only time you will find one younger is a breeder selling to another breeder or someone they know is capable of caring for a young Cham. If you post a picture we can help you with the age and well as sex. Post a picture of their feet and a picture of their full body

Everything Laurie said.

As for the pic of your cham OP.

I would say that he is about 3-4 months old.

Hello:

If my local Pet shop does to the chameleons what they told me to do, they will not survive one month even as adults. I was planning to buy the chameleon they have left, but that will only encourage them to bring more to suffering, I hope they are not taking them from the wilderness.

Comimon, what means OP? I saw the word “OP” somewhere else, but I don’t know what it means.

Thank you, I appreciate all suggestions

Hello:

If my local Pet shop does to the chameleons what they told me to do, they will not survive one month even as adults. I was planning to buy the chameleon they have left, but that will only encourage them to bring more to suffering, I hope they are not taking them from the wilderness.

Comimon, what means OP? I saw the word “OP” somewhere else, but I don’t know what it means.

Thank you, I appreciate all suggestions

OP= original poster.
we use it so the people reading know we are talking to the poster, not responding to something we quoted from another reply.

Olivia, what we see may be very different from what is seen or done in other countries around to world. Please be aware that offering the same help to someone in Saudi Arabia, as you would in the US, may not be what is needed. We have no idea of selling practices in that country. Or of the challenges of keeping a cham there. Thanks.

I have also seen very, very, young chams sold at shows to people who have no idea what they are doing with the cham.

Some times I forget this isn't just an American forum!
Good call on mentioning that, I appreciate the correction.

The chameleon looks 3-4 months old to me, but since he is so thin, he could actually be older and just undersized. Be sure to feed him well so that he fills out more. A good way to check if they are thin is to look at the cheeks and the casque. If they are sunken in, he is either thin, dehydrated, or both.

I want to say anywhere from 3-5 months old. So probably 4 months old.

A lot of the time you can tell by how many inches long they are (Usually younger veileds are only a couple inches long, versus a male adult who can be up to a foot long with the tail) and like another member said, the size of their casque (head bump thing).

If the casque is very small and just looks like a tiny bump, it's probably around 1-3 months old. The way it looks right now it's about 3-6 months old. At around 6-9 months old the casque gets taller and looks filled out more.

Thank you:

For sure my chameleon has malnutrition; I think he is better hydrated since I
get it but still I have food supplies issues.

I hope, I can help him to recover,

Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom