How to know if healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxie

Hi my name is rose I am a first time Chan owner. Saved my little guy from Petco. He about two meal worms each feeding and gets full is that normal? Was also wondering what is a healthy color for him.

No, you should avoid feeding mealworms as they can cause compaction. instead feed crickets, locusts, bsfl, silkworms, dubias, and red runners as staples, and hornworms and superworms as treats. Since petsmarts and petcos typically sell veiled chameleons a healthy color for a female will be a plain green, and for males yellow, greeb, brown, blue, etc. If your chameleon is a dark color, that can be a sign as stress. Some questions, do you know how old she/he is, and are you supplementing his food with calcium and vitamins. I'm no expert but hopefully @Beman @CamoChameleonsHuman @jannb or some other experienced keepers will chime in.

Your going to want to fill this out if you want the proper help

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I’ve had little Buddy for two days. He is a veiled cham I fed him baby crickets and meal worms. I mist his habitat For 5 mins with tropical mist about twice every two or threee hours. I am going to attach pictures of his habitat his name is avacado. Also I am in San Diego and his Calicut came with the Cham habitat I got.

Here is avacado. Just want to make sure I’m a good Cham mommy

Attachments

• 2A8953C6-F0B2-458E-A17E-2B58519698D0.jpeg
    2A8953C6-F0B2-458E-A17E-2B58519698D0.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 75
  • 1E9BE576-3ECC-450A-BA64-B06584860CB8.jpeg
    1E9BE576-3ECC-450A-BA64-B06584860CB8.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 85
  • A3CE5EC1-3542-43B0-8305-A09733C18B2B.jpeg
    A3CE5EC1-3542-43B0-8305-A09733C18B2B.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 75
  • BA2E412A-482A-46E8-8B11-4A7C808325BA.jpeg
    BA2E412A-482A-46E8-8B11-4A7C808325BA.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 8D648FAE-29E3-4A64-8E96-F6723F8BAC82.jpeg
    8D648FAE-29E3-4A64-8E96-F6723F8BAC82.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 66C600B2-2B10-4C6E-803F-D1F495789B2D.jpeg
    66C600B2-2B10-4C6E-803F-D1F495789B2D.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 65
I’ve had little Buddy for two days. He is a veiled cham I fed him baby crickets and meal worms. I mist his habitat For 5 mins with tropical mist about twice every two or threee hours. I am going to attach pictures of his habitat his name is avacado.
We need you to fill out the entire form include all the info asked for. Petco is known for selling the chameleon kit and fish tanks to keep them in. Both have issues and will cause major health issues. Mealworms are not to be fed as they are extremely low in nutritional value and can cause impaction.
He should be eating much more. But we can't give proper feedback without you filling this out completely and adding images of the cham and the cage lights down to the bottom.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

We need you to fill out the entire form include all the info asked for. Petco is known for selling the chameleon kit and fish tanks to keep them in. Both have issues and will cause major health issues. Mealworms are not to be fed as they are extremely low in nutritional value and can cause impaction.
He should be eating much more. But we can't give proper feedback without you filling this out completely and adding images of the cham and the cage lights down to the bottom.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

I did .......

Here is avacado. Just want to make sure I’m a good Cham mommy
Need pics of the back feet from the side to see if it is a male or a female. This is important because if female she will need different husbandry as she ages because they will lay infertile eggs like chickens do.
You will need better lighting. The double dome with the compact uvb bulb is useless, You will need a T5HO fixture with a 10.0 UVB bulb.

I did .......
Hun is this what you mean by I did?
I’ve had little Buddy for two days. He is a veiled cham I fed him baby crickets and meal worms. I mist his habitat For 5 mins with tropical mist about twice every two or threee hours. I am going to attach pictures of his habitat his name is avacado.

If so it is not enough detail. We need all of this. If you filled this out it did not post. Click reply then copy paste the form and fill it out then press post reply.
Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Hun is this what you mean by I did?

If so it is not enough detail. We need all of this. If you filled this out it did not post. Click reply then copy paste the form and fill it out then press post reply.
Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Worried about everything honestly he was in a very small habitat no lighting really. He was shedding when I bought him and just finished taking it all off.

Attachments

• 8DC43579-E742-472E-BE23-EA30DC2D5ECC.jpeg
    8DC43579-E742-472E-BE23-EA30DC2D5ECC.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 0A6525FD-A452-41E7-8BEA-EB836269F02A.jpeg
    0A6525FD-A452-41E7-8BEA-EB836269F02A.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 59B593CA-D156-4C77-A6CA-A1203F953878.jpeg
    59B593CA-D156-4C77-A6CA-A1203F953878.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 5E791E47-753C-4460-814A-ACE264168C17.jpeg
    5E791E47-753C-4460-814A-ACE264168C17.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 1E45E261-25A3-4D8B-A46A-5AB9D690415F.jpeg
    1E45E261-25A3-4D8B-A46A-5AB9D690415F.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 314184EC-21A4-4106-9EC1-616898886A71.jpeg
    314184EC-21A4-4106-9EC1-616898886A71.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 74
  • BCA676DA-79E2-418A-819C-BDFBF1325512.jpeg
    BCA676DA-79E2-418A-819C-BDFBF1325512.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 53
Worried about everything honestly he was in a very small habitat no lighting really. He was shedding when I bought him and just finished taking it all off.
Ok well when you fill out the form we can help correct anything that you were told to provide or do that was incorrect. I can't tell by the pics since there is still shed on the feet.

No I just said he took it off
Is this helping me ?

I am just going to take him into
A vet thanks. I was looking for advice not for you to ask if I pulled his shedding skin off that’s like pulling a baby’s cradle cap off. i just said he was shedding when I picked him up but you might have missed that . Thank You for the “help” you said post pictures and answer the questions I did if. But apparently that’s to hard he’s only been here a day so I can’t really answer all the question. I’m going to play it safe and take him in and post pictures later with an update of what they say.

Last edited:
Your attitude is disgusting learn to be a better human b4 come back on here

Learn to be a better human lol looks like your the one with a bad attitude you should learn how to talk to people. As I’m pretty sure not many of the people on here are very sociable people. And a comment like that is just rude. How about responding with something to do with topic.

Learn to be a better human lol looks like your the one with a bad attitude you should learn how to talk to people. As I’m pretty sure not many of the people on here are very sociable people. And a comment like that is just rude. How about responding with something to do with topic.
Stop tagging me I will not be helping u ever

Simple s
Stop tagging me I will not be helping u ever
its actually quiet simple don’t respond to something I post or ignore me. Learn to how to talk to people. And not be so rude and I don’t remember asking you I was clearly talking to @Beman an expert hence the reason I was answering him or trying to can’t really answer though my Cham has been here one full day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom