How to keep indoor plant alive

RobStac

Hey so I just added a large plant to my enclosure, im not sure what it is, it didn't have the tag but im pretty sure its a fern, and I asked the guy if it was toxic and its not so its a go, but the top parts of the leaves are dying after like 2 days, I have a 18 inch 10.0 uvb bulb and one 100 watt basking bulb and a regular 100 watt house bulb, is that enough to stimulate growth ?

how hot is this enclosure?? :\ you have 2 100watt bulbs which most people maybe use 1 60 watt. household and basking bulb are used for the same purpose

my cage is 3 feet by 5 feet high, the basking spot is 95 for my chameleon and about 84 is ambient temp, the cage is in the basement room so its a little colder, and cage is full mesh so its hard to keep heat in that's why I use 2 bulbs at 100 watts

You dont wat to keep heat in. Let the air flow freely. Just give him or her a place in the cage where the light can keep him warm. He eill go to that spot when he wants it. Just make sure its a good bit away so were not eating lizard. I am having a silimar problem with plants right now. I just got a new plant bulb that gives off no heat and I will see how that works.

PS cage size is great and can be managed with those lights make sure there is foilage though.

Bryan

To keep plants happy you will need some type of 6500k or plant grow light on the cage. And 2 100 watt lights seems excessive. Ambient temps should be in the 70's.

Most ferns are low light and mod to high humidity. They are probably getting burned from all that light. I have 3 full spectrum cfls for my big cage and the plants are ok. Well except for the ficus it is still angry about being repotted, plus I think the fungus gnat larvae are dining well but they are soon to meet their demise.

I totally agree with the 200 watts. My heat light is 50w halogen which is kept a little off the cage. Thanks for the plant input keep it coming if you have more info

I have 2 75w halogen flood lights in mine as I'm in the uk and it's pretty cold right now. The heating is only on in the morning and evening for a few hours. I struggles for ages to get the ambient above 70 and I can only achieve this with the 2 bulbs. One is basking and the other is directed onto an open space which helps massively. Since this Trevor has improved drastically. I also have a 6500k plant light which makes things grow like crazy.

To keep plants happy you will need some type of 6500k or plant grow light on the cage. And 2 100 watt lights seems excessive. Ambient temps should be in the 70's.

Piglett is correct. You need a 6500K grow light to stimulate plant growth. Also if it is a fern they are shade and humidty loving plants. It may be too dry, or you could have it in direct light, which could be why.

Also look at your misting schedule, I dont know if you have a mister setup or if you handspray, but if you dont allow your soil to dry out from time to time and it stay moist, you could get root rot. Plus make sure there is adequate drainage for the pot that your plants are in.

I mix and 75/25 ratio of happy frog organic potting soil with grow stones. It allows for water to flow through easily but not be retained for too long. Ive had great success with this method. Im sure others on the forum have their own way of doing it too.

Go to your local hydroponic store and ask for a 6500K CFL light or a small LED light. These won't give off heat but will stimulate the photosynthesis your plant needs to obtain its nutrients.

Basically UV light and no heat is what you want

I think the fungus gnat larvae are dining well but they are soon to meet their demise.

gnats huh? I've been seeing a couple here and there, and unfortunately so have my family. :eek: Whatcha do about them? Oh dammit there went one as I was writing this.

Back
Top Bottom