How to keep gutloading greens and veggies?

ampharosy

What do you guys do to keep your veggies, fruits, and greens fresh? I've been giving my crickets a decent variety, but a lot of it gets wasted, especially the greens (I get kale) because you can only buy it in the bunch and I don't like kale. Is that just the nature of cricket keeping or am I doing something wrong?

I wash kale leaves and shake off as much of the water as I can gently and put a couple of paper towels in a large ziplock bag and put the kale in so it's loosely packed. It keeps in the fridge for a few days like that.
This can be done with most of the greens.

Kale is a good addition to our own salads so it can be used for us too....it's also good cooked with chopped onion and sweet peppers and herbs.

I'll have to try that thanks!

Also I've never had kale cooked, only raw but I just didn't like it. I'll have to try it cooked :)

You can grow mustard greens,alfalfa,turnip etc and some other leafy greens suggested as gutloading in a window box,tomato bag or plant pot- a bit like the 'cut and come again' salad leaves- won't supply you year through but nice to pick what you need, nip off the larger leaves as they come through, it's organic and a pack of seeds from ebay is 99p here and goes a long way. Even one container can supply a nice collection of leaves for prime gutloading (y) We grow mustard, mitzuna,red dandelion, alfalfa, quinoa, amaranth, pak choi and turnip greens.

I wash, shake off the water, chop it up, place it in paper towel lined plastic storage container, place another dual layer of towel on top and place in the fridge. This last about a week.

Great thanks guys! If I blended it all would that be able to be used at their water source as well? I've heard of people giving like apple sauce and baby food as a water supply and I'd imagine that this would be a similar texture

Back
Top Bottom