How to introduce veggies/ greens to Cham diet?

Caitallica

I’ve got a male veiled chameleon. He’s about 6-7 months old. I’ve had him for a little over a month now. For now, I feed him crickets and mealworms. I want to expand his diet a little bit. I wanted to see about trying to introduce some greens/veggies. And need to know what’s good to give them

I also do plan on giving him other bugs if I can find a supplier. The pet stores around here don’t seem to offer much of a variety.

I had the best luck with Cilantro (coriander), kale, small non cut up fruit such as blueberries, and bananas for some reason. I have foot long tongs, and i just fly them in the cage. Things that the tongue doesnt stick to (such as bananas and cut up cantaloupe) are difficult to feed so you will have to figure out your own technique.

I used to have peg board as 1 side of the cage, so i could attach fruit to a string and go fishing up and down. Once you got a bite the string would go right through the fruit.

Where are you located? There are plenty feeder suppliers around, but some can’t ship to certain areas.

I have female veileds and have been slowly introducing fruit and greens to them. One goes insane for blueberries (cut in 1/2). Today they both tried and seemed to like butternut squash. In the past they’ve liked sweet potato, escarole and apple. The firmer fruits/veggies I use a peeler to give a long thin piece they can easily bite. I just stick the piece to a vine with a clothespin.

I have tried a few techniques with success...
Take very thin slices of apple or red pepper and when he's chewing an insect stick one end of the apple slice in his mouth. Once they get the taste they usually figure it out.

You can also chop up some greens, fruit and veggies into small pieces and put them in a shallow dish and put crickets on top so that when he shoots at the crickets he'll get some veggies/greens in the bite. It also feeds the crickets or some other insects too.

I’ve got a male veiled chameleon. He’s about 6-7 months old. I’ve had him for a little over a month now. For now, I feed him crickets and mealworms. I want to expand his diet a little bit. I wanted to see about trying to introduce some greens/veggies. And need to know what’s good to give them

I also do plan on giving him other bugs if I can find a supplier. The pet stores around here don’t seem to offer much of a variety.
My male veiled (Drake) would rather eat fruit and greens than anything else. I just closepin them to a branch so he can grab them whenever he wants. Especially fond of dandelions. I would just try different things to see what will be eaten but make sure it is safe to feed. I don't have a list available right now but I am sure one of the members would be glad to share it with you.I would ease up on the mealworms as they don't offer much in the way of nutrition and could be harder to digest.

Back
Top Bottom