How to insert doweling rods..

Hollyanne

Hi Everyone,

I have a Reptibreeze for my Yemen Chameleon. I want to add doweling rods at the top of the enclosure so she has walk ways at the top. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fit these?

Many thanks!

Holly

I take and drill a small hole where you want to put dols, and use a screw or I found a EYE hook, it is a screw with a loop so it like a cup hook but full circle it makes it easy to zip it the dols to it , and when you need to clean just cut the zip ties and remove whole setup in side and clean, I can get pics later if needed, ttyl, Eric

I don't use dowel. They are not varying diameter and are not naturally winding pathways like real branches. Try making a network of pathways using real branches tied together with zipties. Its much easier than some other methods IMO. See link for examples of how I setup my chameleon cages. if you are worried about using branches due to mites or spiders you can bake them in the oven at 360 for 10 minutes and you will kill anything living on them. Rinse them off and you have tons of climbing opportunities much cheaper than buying dowels or biovine or any other commercially available item. My favorite to use are crepe myrtle if you have access to those. They have a nice twisting to them that makes them perfect for filling in a cage.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.531302093590006.1073741831.291375457582672&type=3

I don't use dowel. They are not varying diameter and are not naturally winding pathways like real branches. Try making a network of pathways using real branches tied together with zipties. Its much easier than some other methods IMO. See link for examples of how I setup my chameleon cages. if you are worried about using branches due to mites or spiders you can bake them in the oven at 360 for 10 minutes and you will kill anything living on them. Rinse them off and you have tons of climbing opportunities much cheaper than buying dowels or biovine or any other commercially available item. My favorite to use are crepe myrtle if you have access to those. They have a nice twisting to them that makes them perfect for filling in a cage.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.531302093590006.1073741831.291375457582672&type=3

I agree, also, I find processed dowel rods can be to slippery for chams.

Real tree branches, cut to size and cleaned, works and looks much better :)
Try to find smooth branches that do not have a lot of flacky bark for little mites and other critters to hide in.
After I cut and clean them, I spray them with 12% hydrogen peroxide (wear rubber gloves!!!) and let it sit
until dry. This kills anything that may be on them.

Back
Top Bottom