How to hang T5 12% uvb light

WashingtonCham

Established Member
I got an Arcadia T5 12% bulb for my 4 foot tall cage but as of right now I only have my medium cage as he’s a baby I’m going to set up my big cage nicely before switching him but In the meantime I want to get rid of this crappy chameleon kit uv bulb and was recommended I just hang the t5 6 to 9 inches above the cage. My only problem is how to do this? I was thinking maybe a hanging plant holder on my ceiling but that would only give it one point of contact and idk if the light would swing.

Question about distance between UV bulb and basking spot. I've heard it's supposed to be 7 inches apart. If my basking spot is within 7 inches of the top of the enclosure, can I raise the hood a little bit off of the enclosure so that we meet that 7 inch speed spot, or should I just leave it? I know the screen greatly reduces the uvb output, but wasnt sure if where the screen was in that 7inch distance would further change the output.
Did any of that make sense? I dont know

Like @CamoChameleonsHuman said Your uvb will not be effective past 8-12 inches and the screen does cut the uvb that penetrates into the enclosure. Leave it on top. Swap cages don't wait if you already have the XL ... Get some branches all laid out then introduce your Cham. They will enjoy the extra space.

Question about distance between UV bulb and basking spot. I've heard it's supposed to be 7 inches apart. If my basking spot is within 7 inches of the top of the enclosure, can I raise the hood a little bit off of the enclosure so that we meet that 7 inch speed spot, or should I just leave it? I know the screen greatly reduces the uvb output, but wasnt sure if where the screen was in that 7inch distance would further change the output.
Not sure where you got that info. You want the basking spot raised above to prevent burns if cham plays Spiderman upside down on top. But you want basking spot and UVB as close together as possible so when cham basks he's getting UVB too

That's a rough space to avoid burns (basking bulb to basking spot or Chameleon head , veileds burn their cask) you want your uvb to reach your basking spot they should not be separate areas or stations if you will.

Each set up is different your ambient room temp plays a role in how close your bulbs need to be to provide adequate thermal gradient.

Try not to leave the basking bulb on the screen you'll have risk of burning your Chameleon if they climb on the screen seeking heat.

Honestly for UVI distance to basking it depends on what fixture type you are using and what bulbs you are using... Typically it is 7-8 inches from where it sits on the screen to basking... But you have to account for the height of your chameleon. I just had to put the legs on my fixture when I changed from artificial vines to straight firm branches because it caused a 2 inch rise in where Beman sat. Putting his casque and upper back in a 7 uvi level. Which is much too high for a Veiled.
The only way to know for sure is to have a solarmeter 6.5... Yes, they are expensive but they also bring peace of mind when it comes to knowing exactly what your Cham is being exposed to. You can try to mimic someone else's set up if they are using the exact same everything as you but still UVI levels could differ. :)

I do not have my basking separated from my T5HO
This is my set up however I do have my T5 on its legs now. I have the basking angled and lifted.
lighting3.JPG lighting1.JPG

Not sure where you got that info. You want the basking spot raised above to prevent burns if cham plays Spiderman upside down on top. But you want basking spot and UVB as close together as possible so when cham basks he's getting UVB too
Sorry, I think I explained myself poorly. I didnt mean having my basking lamp and uvb fixture 7 inches apart. I mean my highest branch(basking spot) and my uvb fixture 7 inches apart(vertical space). Does that make more sense? I was trying to get at the effectiveness at the uvb, because I know the farther from the bulb the less uvb there is.
I think @Beman got more along the lines of where I was going, and that helped. Thank you!

Sorry, I think I explained myself poorly. I didnt mean having my basking lamp and uvb fixture 7 inches apart. I mean my highest branch(basking spot) and my uvb fixture 7 inches apart(vertical space). Does that make more sense? I was trying to get at the effectiveness at the uvb, because I know the farther from the bulb the less uvb there is.
I think @Beman got more along the lines of where I was going, and that helped. Thank you!
Personally I think the solarmeter 6.5 is a must have... It takes the guess work out of the equation which is why I got mine. I highly recommend having one. :) It is hard for us to say oh yeah sure 7 inches because how are system is set up is not the exact of what yours may be and personally I don't like to give a blanket statement of what the UVI would be because of this. Just too many variables that make a difference. :)

Hanging it that far above the cage would render the UVB useless. Just put it on top center it with your eyeballs and let it overhang. Just be careful not to bump it. Congrats on your new lighting! Your Cham will appreciate it and so will your piece of mind.
Hmm bill strand and Arcadia’s website say different. Is there something I’m missing? I got a 22 inch t5 12% putting it on cage would be way to much uvb for that small of a cage I’m assuming. Gotta realize I’m talking about a 30 inch tall cage

Attachments

• 4A980619-AA67-404C-B16D-C9AA7DEF26E2.png
    4A980619-AA67-404C-B16D-C9AA7DEF26E2.png
    407.4 KB · Views: 195
Hmm bill strand and Arcadia’s website say different. Is there something I’m missing? I got a 22 inch t5 12% putting it on cage would be way to much uvb for that small of a cage I know that much.
That's also not taking into consideration your screen top which deminishes uvb by 40% or more

I do not have my basking separated from my T5HO
This is my set up however I do have my T5 on its legs now. I have the basking angled and lifted.
View attachment 230863View attachment 230864
This is exactly what I’m gonna do on my 4 foot cage but from everything I’ve heard my uvb reading is gonna be way to high at basking spot in a 16 by 16 by 30 cage with a 22 inch 12 percent t5 if I put it just on top of the cage. I’m going to buy a solar meter tomorrow but I just needed an idea of how to hang it.

That's also not taking into consideration your screen top which deminishes uvb by 40% or more
Maybe not that graphic but bill does and if you listen to the chameleon breeder podcast they have John from Arcadia on and he explained exactly the same info. I mean I’m getting a solar meter tomorrow so I’ll know where to put it I just need advice on how to raise it if need be no one really answered that lol

Maybe not that graphic but bill does and if you listen to the chameleon breeder podcast they have John from Arcadia on and he explained exactly the same info. I mean I’m getting a solar meter tomorrow so I’ll know where to put it I just need advice on how to raise it if need be no one really answered that lol
Most people just use wire or chain. Bolt into ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom