How to handle two chameleons together!!

Sawa Cham

Okay, so I have a female who is pretty good size. Probably about 1/2-3/4 her full size. She has been really healthy and good since I have had her. Today I just bought a baby male. He is about 2inch. I introduced them and at first the female tried to eat him, so I blocked her from being able too. Then after a bit I introduced again and the little one crawled on the females body but the female didnt like it one bit. She kept moving around till he got off.. then after the little male realized she doesnt want him he just flees away so I plan on keeping them seperate. I need some advice. I dont know if they will be able to be together. If not maybe only to mate in the future. HELP!!

It is best to keep your Chams in separate enclosures... They are solitary animals and only meet up during mating season. I personally along with many others think it's too much stress on both Chams to be together. :)

You've seen that vid many times but you still tried, twice?
Mate, we all do silly things from time to time, but rarely twice.
If you slam your fingers in the car door, you dont have another go at it later on! :D

:eek: holy crap. keep them separated. you really needed us to tell you that? the near meal experience should have been a clear indication.
:confused:

You know, I was under the impression that people posted these threads for help. I am in-experienced and was looking for advice. Sarcasm is something that I dont appreciate,

You cant use the analogy of smashing your fingers in the door and doing it again. There are many situations were doing something twice raises the probablity for success. The second time, the female didnt try to eat the baby, instead she let him crawl on her, but then quickly tried to get her off. It was a learning experience for me and hope that next time some of you can see I am just experimenting with these reptiles as a first time owner of two. For all those who gave me good advice thanks.

Nothing wrong with doing once to see what will happen, but given she tried to eat him,
how is doing it again, raising the probability of success? She wasn't likely to have a change
of heart mate. I apologize for upsetting you, some folk dont appreciate my humor.
I did give you good advice, your own suggestion. No cohabitation excepting to mate later.
Im glad she didnt eat him. Please dont try a third time just in case. :)

I didnt do it again for success, I just wasnt so sure that her intentions were to eat. I just noticed her mouth cracked and I quickly put my hand inbetween. I did it again to see if she would crack her mouth and she didnt. I think this can become a circular argument so thanks for the advice I got.

We all start somewhere and I'm sure you didn't know these were solitary animals and that the larger one could eat the smaller one. You did the right thing by posting here and finding out otherwise and glad that things didn't take a wrong turn. It's really hard to tell the difference between joking, angry, sarcasm, or being plain rude through text. I did the same when I first joined... :) Don't get discouraged and PLEASE don't be afraid to post if you have any other questions. Go to my posts when I first started and you'll see that they were silly posts me not knowing what the hell I was doing. :D

Well, after you gain much much much more experience, you may be able to house them together as adults, but failure is likely. Big chameleons like to eat little chameleons. :)

You've seen that vid many times but you still tried, twice?
Mate, we all do silly things from time to time, but rarely twice.
If you slam your fingers in the car door, you dont have another go at it later on! :D

ok so you call me Sledgehammer for what happened last time with a somewhat similar experience. Can I now call you maybe, Mallet or Ball peen hammer or Meat tenderizer or will I be penalized again just for suggesting it???
p.s. I would more than definetly be penalized for answering to what I just read about repeating something twice. Im biting my tongue and sitting on my hands.....:eek:

You guys are doing a great job chastising someone new to the hobby. While you may be only joking keep in mind the Internet filters sarcasm from text.

OP- you received excellent advice from prettyinink, I agree with what she said. Best to keep em separate.

Any sound advice usually sounds rude because you don't want to hear it. I would suggest keeping them separate account of being solitary animals. There are a lot of experienced keepers here so don't be discouraged.

Any sound advice usually sounds rude because you don't want to hear it.

I don't agree. You, melric, managed to convey your suggestion without sounding rude. I'm sure Sawa Chan is not the least bit put off by what you wrote.

Well, when you read something, your mind gives it a tone. If it sounds rude, your mind made it sound rude. There is something subconscious going on there. Whether or not that has to do with you wanting to hear it or not, i do not know.

Back
Top Bottom