How to Feed off pupated BSFL

Lil’ Sneak

Established Member
So, we just received 100 BSFL and several are already pupated. Just wondering if anyone has recommendation on how to feed them off. I'm thinking about placing the pupated larva in the enclosure, say in the pot of one of the plants and just waiting for them to hatch to flies...or should I hatch them in something else and try to release the fly into the enclosure after? How do you all do it?

So, we just received 100 BSFL and several are already pupated. Just wondering if anyone has recommendation on how to feed them off. I'm thinking about placing the pupated larva in the enclosure, say in the pot of one of the plants and just waiting for them to hatch to flies...or should I hatch them in something else and try to release the fly into the enclosure after? How do you all do it?
I either toss the hard ones in a potted plant, Gum container, or if they turn while in the container I have them in I will pop the lid when I have it in the service door of the cage so they can't fly out as easily.

gum container.JPG

Your not feeding them off when they are hard right? It is best to feed these when they are still wiggly little maggots or as Flies.
I did not know this. I have fed him a few but will stop if it is bad for him. Why can’t you feed them off when pupated?

I did not know this. I have fed him a few but will stop if it is bad for him. Why can’t you feed them off when pupated?
A bit harder to digest... The outside shell is dense and hard. I do not remember the exact ins and outs of it just that it is not typically recommended. While in their wiggly maggot stage they are calcium rich feeders. Once they turn into flies their calcium levels lower but they become a fantastic enrichment feeder.

A bit harder to digest... The outside shell is dense and hard. I do not remember the exact ins and outs of it just that it is not typically recommended. While in their wiggly maggot stage they are calcium rich feeders. Once they turn into flies their calcium levels lower but they become a fantastic enrichment feeder.
Ok thanks. I will not give him those then.

???? I just put two two together!! I have watched many of your videos prior to getting my chameleon and that is so awesome you’re on here!!!! I feel like I virtually just met a celebrity ?
Please tell me that Is you and I didn’t make myself look like an idiot...... ?
it is her and I feel the same way haha Gingero is awesome ?

it is her and I feel the same way haha Gingero is awesome ?
Lol OMG that’s so awesome! I’m going to feel the same way again once James makes his videos for the buggies?
Never in a million years did I think I’d get excited over talking to other people about Chams or buggies. But I really do get super excited being in this community and getting to learn about some of y’all and the knowledge/ experience y’all have and getting to learn off of y’all it’s just pure awesomeness!

I’m not... no way our little guy would even think about one unless you jiggled it in a spoon.
I fed a few to Stormy (before I learned that I shouldn’t) and it was funny, they didn’t move at all, but I put them in his feeder run cup to see if he would eat them, and later that day, all gone. ?

Back
Top Bottom