how to do I get my juvenile panther chameleon to ear horned worms?

BoxOfCrayons

Hey was wondering if anyone could help me with any ideas on how to get my chameleon to eat these things he's about 5-6 months old in a repti breeze cage misted twice daily while eating 8-12 calcium dusted crickets a day. Day time temp 77 night time 70-72 humidity is always up due to misting and towels at bottom of cage. For the past two days he has been keepong his eyes closed almost at all times? He's on the 5.0 repti bulb but have had it off for past two days in case that could be the cause. He also has been sleeping on the bottom on weird positions. Any ideas?

do you keep lights on at night?

Is 77 your basking temp?

can you fill and post the how to ask for help form please?

chameleon1.jpg

chameleon2.jpg

chameleon3.jpg

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Madagascar blue panther chameleon?
Handling - Not much still trying to get him to handling point
Feeding - 8-12 dusted crickets fed on cricket food with repti calcium
Watering - Mist 2-3 times a day with a big dripper and i do see him drinking.
Fecal Description - white and black not runny or unusual looking.
History - Never seen him keeps his eyes closed like this before?

Cage Info:

Cage Type - screen 24x24x36 i believe
Lighting - 75 watt basking bulb with 5.0 uvb repti bulb
Temperature - cage floor 73 basking 78ish
Humidity - 50-70% Wet napkins a dripper and misting throughout day to maintain lvls.
Plants - fake plants
Placement - Corner of room on top of shelf with no vents or fans blowing on it. Only traffic is me
Location - Michigan

Bump. Took him off repti calcium going to get one without d3 tomorrow and only dusting crickets 2 times a week for awhile. Also, getting a live plant and a longer UVB bulb rather than the dome one. Let me know if there are any other ideas idk if he is eating the 3 horned worms are still in there and I just put 5 crickets in to see if he does anything but hes still keeping his eyes closed staying in active. I really think he needs to eat one of the horned worms for vitamins.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Madagascar blue panther chameleon?
Handling - Not much still trying to get him to handling point
Feeding - 8-12 dusted crickets fed on cricket food with repti calcium
Watering - Mist 2-3 times a day with a big dripper and i do see him drinking.
Fecal Description - white and black not runny or unusual looking.
History - Never seen him keeps his eyes closed like this before?

Cage Info:

Cage Type - screen 24x24x36 i believe
Lighting - 75 watt basking bulb with 5.0 uvb repti bulb
Temperature - cage floor 73 basking 78ish
Humidity - 50-70% Wet napkins a dripper and misting throughout day to maintain lvls.
Plants - fake plants
Placement - Corner of room on top of shelf with no vents or fans blowing on it. Only traffic is me
Location - Michigan

There are many things currently wrong with your setup. You should be dusting calcium WITHOUT d3 daily and with d3 twice a month, along with vitamins twice a month. Your basking temperature is also way too low. He needs a higher basking temperature around 82-90 degrees in order to properly digest his food. Are you sure your enclosure is 24x24x36? It looks entirely way too small for your cham. Your cage also needs more foilage so he can hide in the shade if it gets too hot. It also gives him a place to feel more secure, instead of being out in the open.

cham4.jpg I put a live plant in there and he has a basking temp of 85 now he seems to be more active and drinking more water. I'm putting him on the calcium without d3 and he has multi vitamins so hopefully this well help him and i will see and improvement. he will also get a new cage soon since it seems that he may need a bigger one as well.

You need to remove that red bulb and just use regular bulbs for basking.

Lights on at sunrise, lights off at sunset is the typical schedule

please read the care sheet on here for panthers, and if you follow everything it says, you will have a happy and healthy chameleon.

That's good! You are on the right path. Just be mindful of the basking temp so he doesn't get burned. As soon as you can, I would try to get him in a bigger cage.

ya red light is gone already hes on the basking light and hes getting a new cage within about 2 weeks at next reptile expo near me or when my friend upgrades his chams cage ill take his. Thanks for all the help its greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom